1974 Duster - First Mopar

-
Ill have to look, it has a long peice of flat metal on the drivers side that extends to the mounting holes. And its slightly offset of the center of the engine.

That looks like what I already have guess I was wrong. I was basing this off my dads 72 which has a larger radiator.

Thanks for looking for me.

put power to the car for the first time since installing this engine and new wiring harness. Radio started blaring and open door alarm was humming but I couldnt get the car to turn over so I could set number 1 cylinder to stab the dist. Was getting late so not sure what was causing this. If someone has an idea please let me know. The only thing I changed in the harness was a circuit that went from the reverse light on the manual trans (2 prong instead of 3) Im grounded to the engine with my battery ground (may go back and clean the body strap) Im gonna make sure the starters getting power figure it could be a bad ignition switch.

Yes, turns out my car has seatbelt interlock feature so im bypassing that its the box with the red plug socket i couldnt figure out, also bypassing the clutch safety as I no longer have the switch. Pulled insurance car the car yesterday so I can finally get the title transfered.

Now just need to determine what belts will make my setup work for now (AC car but not running AC right now)

This is my first mopar build a 1974 Plymouth Duster.

I have collected all the parts to put a 70 front clip on the car.

Currently I have a 318 with a mild cam, not certain of the specs but plan on pulling it just to check. I have 302 heads that have 2.02 valves installed to use as well and a forged crank.

The car doesnt have much rust except the rear quarters very minimal. Car was originally a automatic but the previous owner had gathered all the parts to put a manual in the car (currently I only have a 3 speed) Car also had an AC unit in it. Under mount type seems aftermarket but date correct to the car. Very interesting piece and I will be putting it back in the car.

398705_10150534944996686_547516685_9084159_1902531607_n.jpg

Great project! Wish I still had my 74 w/225 auto. Daily driver for over 4 years. I just loved it.

Its been a fun project to work on so far, its different thank the chevy's ive worked on all my life. Im not looking forward to starting body work its going to be interesting fixing a dent behind the drivers door where the previous owner atempted to pick the car up with a fork lift...

Started the car today all thats left is a to bleed the brakes and look into a couple small wiring issues such as the wiper motor getting hot even when its not on.

Stabbed the distributor put all wires to plugs and fired it just to see and came to life on the first roll. Got a good lope to the cam not sure of the specs. Really nasty with open headers :)

Bad leak in the radiator gonna see if it can be re-cored. Also the horn honked 1 time now it sounds like im calling turkeys every time I press the horn.

Put a "heart-throb" exhaust kit that came in the car on this weekend drivers side worked perfectly but had to modify the passenger side but overall a quality kit, POR15'ed the floors and put my seats in (still need to be covered) And bled the brakes which was a pain in the butt and I still dont quite have it pedals very soft. They are SBP front discs have the calipers with the brake line routing through both sides of the caliper.

IMG292.jpg

IMG290.jpg

IMG289.jpg

Not a whole lot of progress on the car lately, I have been working on the body work for the new front clip (1972 grill) and bumpers, going with painted rear and front bumpers. Took apart the whole dash last weekend painted it black and put on my new dash pad.

IMG325.jpg

Installed my 002/003 rear leafs this evening and worked a little more on the interior, the wipers are giving me hell the new plastic keepers keep slipping off so I gave up on it for the night. Stance looks great with the new leafs. Ill post pics tomorrow its too dark tonight.

Bought a ford 8.8 posi track with 3:73 gear disc rear end from an explorer over the weekend going to shave it down to fit the duster. Im going to try to use pipe cutters if nothing else it will give me a nice groove to follow with my cutoff wheels. Ill post pics as I progress

Decided to cut down my 8.8" rear end for my duster. Using a #3 cutter is a GREAT idea. Just dont cut off the mounts you'll need them for leverage

882_zps98e9f300.jpg

883_zps027438a8.jpg

884_zps1b4576b0.jpg

885_zps101d007f.jpg

881_zps0645f277.jpg

Original radiator sprung another leak. Bought a champion through Gary (challengergary) looks great.

IMG352_zpsaf7665db.jpg

I have had ***-loads of "bad luck" with original radiators....... Hopefully, the newest original one will work for me! After some blending w/ another one.......

Installed the new rear end saturday night everything went together great used the explorer stock brake lines which tied directly into the duster stock supply. Only issue was my driveshaft was approx 1-7/8" too long I have it being shortened by a driveshaft shop hopefully ill have it back on the road by wednesday.

Also got my new wheels and tires on that I purchased from Motec. Sorry for the poor pictures it was raining really bad the night I installed the rear end.

IMG011_zpsc388100e.jpg

Been driving her around after, great cruiser will be even better after I install my 4 speed and toss the tired 3 speed!

Thanks! its been really nice driving it around even though its just in rough primer. Gonna have to put the 4 speed on the back burner... I bought the trans that was listed as a A-body trans and I didnt pay close enough attention its a B-body trans gonna contact the seller tomorrow and see what he'll do...

-
Back