1974 Duster Restoration/ Transformation

-
Well the resto project on the Duster is in high gear. I have finished up the complete rebuild of the front suspension with PST parts and it looks great!! I spent today getting the engine compartment populated with the wire harness, brake booster and lines, and all of the firewall parts. I started cutting a hole in the tunnel to investigate the installation of the 4 speed trans and shifter. HAS anyone installed a 4 speed in a auto car and had to cut the floor?

Anyway, the trans gets mated to the engine next to check the clutch system and trans input shaft clearance. May be next week end?

Attachments

• dust9.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 653
  • dust10.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 667
During the restoration I am switching the interior from blue to black. I have got the cluster rebuilt and installed with the new column for the floor shift option. I installed the new door panles and rear seat back. Almost ready to install the glove box and radio.

Attachments

• dust15.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 637
  • dust16.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 644
  • dust17.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 646
  • dust18.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 627
Well Here are the pics of the new 4 barrel pumped up 318 and the 4 speed going into the Duster. Hopefully, I will get this set up installed tomarrow if there is no rain.

Attachments

• dust19.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 588
  • dust11.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 600
Nice job wish I had money to do this lol if I might ask where would you take the gauge cluster to get restored and how much does it run

First of all the cluster mechanics and gage are the original stuff. The only thing that was changed was the plastic bezel. I got a re-chromed part from one of these guys that has a business and sells on e-bay to get exposure. The bezel was plated and then he painted the wood grain, or shall I say he "Tried". The wood paint job was totally unacceptable so I got one of the wood grain plastic overlays to make it look right. Those are almost as much a joke, but with a little bit of careful trimming it was made to fit OK. The clear parts were removed from the old bezel and I polished them out with some plastic polish and Micro mesh. The lens were reinstalled with some aviation epoxy, and they will NOT be coming loose. The Gage needles were repainted with some gage needle paint I got for about $2 on e-bay, GOOD STUFF! All in all I think I have about $250 invested in the assembly. :hello1:

Today was great weather and I was able to get to work on the Duster Engine/ Trans installtion all day. We got it in and aslo got the headers installed. A Body Headrers are a PAIN IN THE A**! I thought my 68 Road Runner was bad, but this thing blows that away any day. I had to jack the engine up out of the mounts after the engine was installed just to get the headers in place. Getting the bolts in is almost as bad. But all is good, thay are in now and will NEVER come out again if I can help it. Now we can start to clean up the hole in the floor and get the hump cover installed with the shifter.

Attachments

• dust25.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 539
  • dust24.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 541
  • dust23.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 548
  • dust22.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 535
  • dust21.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 523
  • DUST20.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 549
  • dust14.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 544
  • dust13.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 533
  • dust12.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 526
Well the sun has set and I am forced to close the hood on the Duster for now. The weather is going to get bad for the next few days, but I was able to get the engine and Trans installed this weekend. The engine is wired and plumbed except for the radiator and A/C. I think I will get the car running before I install the A/C. Anyway here are a few pics of were we are at now. I have a hood scoop to put on this car. Does anyone know anyhting about the installtion of the 4" round donut seals that go in the hood under the scoop. They privide freash air into the engine compartment but what about getting them to interface with the aircleaner? Was there ever an optin for this?

Attachments

• dust28.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 523
  • dust27.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 543
  • dust26.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 516
I have 2. The one that came out of the car to begin with, which I have no idea of its ratring, and a NOS 50 amp unit I picked up off e-bay.

Started today getting the engine run for the first time but had a problem with the engine harness. If anyone knows were I can get a 74 Duster engine harness please let me know, mine had a serious short and melted down like a NUKE Plant, I know bad joke.

But all was not lost, I was able to get the Go-Wing installed and it looks great.

Attachments

• dust34.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 438
  • dust35.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 454
  • dust36.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 434
Wow everything you have done is what I would like to do to mine ex the colors I would like Orange and black stripes with scoop and rear wing lol great job since you have done what I would like to do how much has all of that cost if you don't mind telling me

I originally purchased the car for $3800 with I thought was a fair price for a running 318/ 904 Duster. The bench seat was wasted and the blue interior parts were all sun bleached and brittle. I made the choice early on to change the color but ultimately the wife chose the color. One day we were talking about what color to paint it and white came up, She said "I always wanted a white car" So in the interest of getting here buy in on the project, its white.

I am very fortunate to have a friend in the body shop business, he is a painter. The guy who had the car before me use to pull a trailer with it and his eye sight must have been less than perfect. All FOUR CORNERS OF THE CAR HAD DENTS! Except for the mentioned dents, the car was in good shape. It was pale light blue with a white vinyl half roof and just SCREAMED GRANDPA CAR!! Any rate I decided to go with black interior because that was the easiest to get parts for. All said and done I have spent approximately $1800 on the interior, $2000 on the engine and less than $500 on the trans. I bought a kit from PST for the front end and that set me back an additional $500, but I did all of the work so that saved me big there.

When this thing is all done what do you guys think it would be worth. It will have a bored 318 to 325 with mild cam and 500 cfm carb, 4 Speed Over drive Trans, Buckets with console and fold down rear seat and brand new interior.

Got the Duster Hood Scoop installed today. Has anyone ever seen a aircleaner top to interface with the seals installed in the hood under the scoop. I installed this per a thread I saw on this web page awhile back on a factory installed dual scoop.

Attachments

• dust40.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 460
  • dust39.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 450
  • dust38.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 460
  • dust37.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 430
last February I purchased a 74 Gold Duster that was a runner but had a bunch of dents and the interior was totally shot. It has a 318 in it that ran fairly well ,but has well past its prime. The 904 Automatic Trans was rebuilt like a year before and presented no problems, but he car drove like a truck, the front suspension was in need of help. I wish I had taken some pics of it in its original condition, but my son did that and they were deleted from his camera. Well, I got started on getting the parts together for this restoration like in March and had decided to remove the broken down bench seat and replace it with buckets and a center console. The car was very light blue with white top and trim, honestly is was REAL UGLY! The interior was medium blue and all of the plastics were faded and cracked in some way. In the end I found it much easier to get black interior parts instead of blue, so we went with black. I had to purchase all of the wheel well covers, door panels, dash cap, carpet, head liner, Sail Panels on line as I wanted a new looking car when finished. E_BAY was great for finding new and NOS parts although some think they are made of gold.

Once the interior was out I made a change of plans and decided to go with a 4 speed. I found a 833 overdrive unit on Craig's list for a reasonable price and went down to L.A. to get it. Once the engine and trans was out of the car, I felt that the car could be much more if I just put a Little more time into it. Last August we had the car ready for paint and off it went to the paint shop. Luck would have it that a past customer of mine was a body and paint guy, so he hooked me up with a killer $5000 paint job for just the cost of materials. That was awesome, but I did not get the car back until after Christmas!

After the car came back from paint, the real fun began. I have posted pictures from that point on in this thread and you can see the progress.

Today I officially finished the job. The car had been sitting in my drive way were I was doing the work. My garage is occupied by my 68 Road Runner, so I have no place to work but in the open. I had the car painted white and it look cool , but the white paint stains real easy. I used the Car Bar kit from Mother's to remove the stains, and that stuff is AWESOME! After the clay bar stripping operation, I applied a coat of Nu-Finish wax and it looks great. I had posted some completion pictures.

Attachments

• dust59.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 413
  • dust58.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 424
  • DUST57.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 412
  • dust56.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 433
  • dust55.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 409
  • dust54.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 417
  • dust53.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 425
  • dust52.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 440
  • dust51.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 415
  • dust50.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 427
Her are a few more to complete the set.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my many inquiries and pleads for help on this web page. I must say that this web page is a most valuable resource to those who play with Mopars. I could not have completed this restoration with out your guys help, THANKS SO MUCH!

Attachments

• dust65.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 420
  • dust64.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 422
  • dust63.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 408
  • dust62.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 418
  • dust61.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 409
  • dust60.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 432
The car looks great, those hood pins really add the muscle car look to compliment the car..did you install the pins directly to the rad support ? If you have any pics of the hole location I would love to see them since our 73' fenders don't have the hood pin provision like the 70'-72'. thanks

Super Nice!!! Reminds me of the car I had back in High school. I had a Black on Black '74 Dart with a 360 Sport package. The White and Black looks awsome!!!

I saw the pics of the 70-72 hood pin installation and figured that that location was good for the 74 as well. The only trouble was getting the nut on the bottom of the stud without cuting the hole in the fornt of the suport that was missing. I instead pulled the attachment bolt next to where I drilled for the pin and was able to fish the nut with my index finger.

Attachments

• dust70.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 374
  • dust71.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 367
  • dust72.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 363
-
Back