1974 Duster Restoration/ Transformation

-
I saw the pics of the 70-72 hood pin installation and figured that that location was good for the 74 as well. The only trouble was getting the nut on the bottom of the stud without cuting the hole in the fornt of the suport that was missing. I instead pulled the attachment bolt next to where I drilled for the pin and was able to fish the nut with my index finger.
Thanks for the pics and explanation....again, very nicely done.

After completing the resto of the Duster I have been driving it for about 2 months now. Everthing is working out pretty good but the Overdrive trans is not what I was expecting nor is the shifter. I also did not swap the rear end during the major rebuild as the interior,engine and trans, body and paint work were the focus of the job.

Now it's time for Phase II. I purchased a 8.75 rear end from a 70 Dart off of Craigs list and it was a good deal. It has upgraded axels and Green Bearings ready to install and a posi with 3.55 gears. It should have been a quick swap, but I have uncovered a problem with the original installation of the 7.25 rear end. After removal of the tires, I found that the left rear tire was rubbing the inside of the wheel tub. It was like the wheel was in to far. It was not touching when the car was parked, but a had noticed a weird fell to the car whenever I would jump on it and shift through the gears hard. After I took the rear end out and removed the springs, I found that the drivers side leaf spring was bent. This car must have been high centered or involved in an accident that hit the left rear wheel in order to bend the spring like that. So I had to ordered a set of PST replacement springs.

Attachments

• dust83.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 367
  • dust84.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 352
  • dust80.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 356
  • dust81.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 355
  • dust82.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 355
Anyone looking for a 7.25 rearend for a Abody. This one came out of a 74 Duster and is in perfect but dirty condition. Comes with new 1.75 brakes and freshly rebuilt wheel cylinders and turned drums. Asking $200 for the complete unit.

Keep posting updates. I really liked the hood pin install. When I get back to working on mine, I think hood pins will be in the cards. What are the issues with the o/d trans. I have one in my 74 and I really don't like it either.

I got a little closer on getting the new rear end ready to install. I hope the springs show up soon. Here are a few more pics of the cleaned up wheel wells and the rearend less brakes. I hope to get them installed in a day or so.

Attachments

• dust88.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 335
  • dust87.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 313
  • dust86.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 320
  • dust85.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 335
The first thing I did not like about it was the gear spacing. I am always having to shift into 3 rd gear, which is 1:1 and finding that the rpm is way down and the car is sluggish. If I wind it up in 2nd to 45 to 50 mph it seems to be a bit hard the engine. The second issue is the shifting. I still do not know if it is the problem of the shifter or the trans, but it does not like to shift gears quickly, it seems to be a bit stiff.

Well I got the 8.75 Posi rear end installed today. Now all I have to do is get some new brake line and install the brakes.

Attachments

• dust90.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 324
  • dust91.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 287
  • dust93.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 295
  • dust94.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 308
The first thing I did not like about it was the gear spacing. I am always having to shift into 3 rd gear, which is 1:1 and finding that the rpm is way down and the car is sluggish. If I wind it up in 2nd to 45 to 50 mph it seems to be a bit hard the engine. The second issue is the shifting. I still do not know if it is the problem of the shifter or the trans, but it does not like to shift gears quickly, it seems to be a bit stiff.

I have the same issues with my car. It is parked now, but when I get it back I think I may put a regular A833 in it.

Wow, beautiful cars! I am serious about buying a 74 Duster. Can you tell me if split bench seats were standard then? Also, were buckets an option? Thanks!
one more question: in the 74, were the bench and bucket seats (if indeed both available) interchangeable?
Thanks,
Kelly

-
Back