1974 Duster wont start

-

acjadamj

Reaction score
Ok, i was driving my car across town and it just quit running in middle of road. I kept trying to turn it over and it would only pop for 2 - 3 sec once every 40 cranks. Now i can not get it to even do that. I have replaced Ignition Module. and connector and it still does not start or pop. Spraying starting fluid in carb i still do not get a pop. Any suggestions???

1974 Duster
360 V8

Battery is good
Ignition coil has power.
Also there may be no spark from distributor ( can those just go out drving down the road and still let it pop a little after?)

Anything will help Thanks everyone.!!!

check the air gap; on the pickup coil and reluctor inside the distributor..... .008 with brass feeler gauge

make sure you have fuel and it is getting to the engine.

It should fire on starter fluid. I helped a girl at a picnic once with her VW Jetta w/ the funky Jetronic mechanical fuel distributor. One "professional" mechanic there said it must be a broken timing belt. It started and idled fine as I kept spraying a little starter fluid in the inlet duct, and asked the mechanic if he was still sure the timing belt broke. The girl wanted me to keep doing whatever while she drove home. I cracked the fuel supply line and nothing. When I told her, she said "not the fuel pump again!".

If not fuel, then your problem is no spark. Buy an in-line spark tester ($4 Harbor Freight).

-
Back