1974 plymouth scamp WHAT IS THIS GUY SMOKING??

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the link of collector car values, almost any chevy to the same year of mopar cars is double. Why do you think that is?

Yet according to the link of collector cars, almost any Chevy compared to almost any Plymouth or Dodge, the Chevy is double the price, why is that?

And why must we pay double or more for any part we need..

According to the link of collector car values, almost any chevy to the same year of mopar cars is double. Why do you think that is?

are those people saying that a 70 454 chevelle SS would be valued double over a 70 440 6 pack super bee

I personally prefer the 67-69 Darts the best, but that is truly a unique car.

The car is MINT.

Clearly it isn't worth 16K, but while everyone is saying the guy is stoned, no one is throwing out numbers. What do you really think a slant six cherry survivor is worth?

Let's pretend you're the appraiser, what's it worth?

Me, my semi literate, semi professional bid based upon two minutes of thought is:

What's yours?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Did anyone ever stop to think that the price might include what is being smoked to get the price? Maybe they found a few kilos in the spare tire and left them as NOS.

Here's a counter point to consider. Currently, you can't sell a fully restored A-body for anything near what the resoration costs. I'm pretty sure I'll have 20K in my 65 before I'm finished, not counting my time. It'll be a beautiful car, but I seriously doubt I could get that for it. To me that says the cars are undervalued.

Looked at the pic- anybody else notice how bright the engine looked? As well as the nice, shiny blue paint on the forward section of the exhaust manifold? Wouldn't trust this guy, "It's ALL original" my arse...
$16,500. No.

Here's a counter point to consider. Currently, you can't sell a fully restored A-body for anything near what the resoration costs. I'm pretty sure I'll have 20K in my 65 before I'm finished, not counting my time. It'll be a beautiful car, but I seriously doubt I could get that for it. To me that says the cars are undervalued.

And the same goes for many different vehicles people consider as collectable, be it a Dart, Charger, Challenger, Chevelle, Mustang, Camaro, GTO, Nova, whatever. Cars are worth what people will pay for them. He may've just tossed that number out purely because he knows people will lowball the crap out of him. I wouldn't pay that much for that car simply because it's not what I want-despite the fact it is very nice in appearance. Now, if it was at least a straight rust-free unhacked 340 4 speed Dart with recent paint, good clean interior, and all mechanicals in good serviceable order-that's another story. I know that's kind of a vague description, but I would hope you catch my drift.

Your '65 Dart may well be worth every penny you put into it-but not everyone would agree...it's not for everyone else-it's your car. I'd like to think people restore vintage classics because (a) they want to drive them in a near original condition or (b) they want to pass on a slice of Americana to their sons/daughters.

thoughts?

unfortunately, a good portion of these cars that are "restored" are only getting slapped together with a face lift to serve double duty as original restored Ebay whores.

I almost peed my Dickie's when I read the Jon Voight reference ! :D:D:D

While it is unusual to see a column-shift 3 speed manual these days , let alone in a '74 Scamp , that fact doesn't justify that legregious price !
*MayBe* $6,000-$8,000 if it czechs out as being so vainly original .

Negatives :
- 3 speed column shift
- horse & buggy brakes
- '74 - '76 "generic" tail lights (shared with same years of the Dart)
- seller thinks it's a '74 Duster 360 time capsule
- Barren-Jackass auto-erotic dream price

Positives:
- Looks like a nice , clean original (try finding a Ca car that doesn't have sandblasted glass , rotted rubber and a cracked dashpad !)
- Not butchered
- free China White ****** hidden in the car's rocker panels

Damn , even a 1976 Valiant with a 360 and the A38 package wouldn't realistically fetch $16,500 !

I doubt Grandma would have had the wheels and gas filler tube repainted to match the car. :protest:

Your '65 Dart may well be worth every penny you put into it-but not everyone would agree...it's not for everyone else-it's your car. I'd like to think people restore vintage classics because (a) they want to drive them in a near original condition or (b) they want to pass on a slice of Americana to their sons/daughters.

thoughts?

Obviously I'm not doing it for the money. My dad bought an identical car, brand new the same week I was born. He kept if for about 5 years and then sold it because it was too small to haul around two kids and all the associated crap.

My last restoration was a frame off on a 65 Corvette back in the early 90's. I did that to make money. The car was a total basket case. Spent 24K on the car, parts and labor. Sold it on consignment for 35K. Cleared about 10K, which probably worked out to about 50 cents per hour. It was fun though. Used the money for down payment on a house which appreciated 150% in 8 years after remodeling kitchen and both bathrooms. That was way more profitable than the car.

Obviously I'm not doing it for the money. My dad bought an identical car, brand new the same week I was born. He kept if for about 5 years and then sold it because it was too small to haul around two kids and all the associated crap.

My last restoration was a frame off on a 65 Corvette back in the early 90's. I did that to make money. The car was a total basket case. Spent 24K on the car, parts and labor. Sold it on consignment for 35K. Cleared about 10K, which probably worked out to about 50 cents per hour. It was fun though. Used the money for down payment on a house which appreciated 150% in 8 years after remodeling kitchen and both bathrooms. That was way more profitable than the car.

I dig it :thumbrig:

Correct on the filler tube. How about how polished and shiny that engine is? Looks like a gloss coat on it to me.
The Barret Jackson craze has left dollar sign's in so many people's eye's it's not funny.
It's a frickn slant six SCAMP, never had a performance option, never any thing but a reliable car. People dont get it's the performance option's that brought the price's we saw, and many dont get that the market sucks so those prices will take a long time to return. Those folk's buying the car's for those prices were mearly investors, and some of them made a killing. The car isnt worth 8k in my opinion due to it's lack of desirable option's. A car like this is neat yes but that's about it.

Im obviously living in the wrong state. It took my father 2 yrs to get $5k for a 73 slant 6 gold duster w only 24K miles on it. Just as clean as this car. He also just sold a 71 B5 blue 318 scamp for $1800. Interior like new but did need some minor body work and paint. Id deff buy the 70 #s matching, fender tag, build sheet 340 swinger on Maine craigslist for $14K first. I checked the car out and it is all there. $12k wont buy it, I tried

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back