1974 power wagon questions

-
Sell the RV & use any proceeds to buy higher gears if mileage is your goal.

Sell the RV & use any proceeds to buy higher gears if mileage is your goal.
The mileage isn't as important as power to me. The rv is just some junk that has a bunch of spare parts and maybe that special part that will net a performance increase, when I'm done with stripping what I want the rest is trash to me

The mileage isn't as important as power to me. The rv is just some junk that has a bunch of spare parts and maybe that special part that will net a performance increase, when I'm done with stripping what I want the rest is trash to me

If the 360 needs freshened up do that and put it in place of the 318 you will definitely notice a difference.

I had a 318 2bbl , 360 4bbl, 340 with a 671 dyers blower. And then I woke up and put a common rail in it. The diesel got over 20 mpg and was a true stump puller. Real trucks don't have spark plugs. And if they don't smoke black take em back.

Picture 044.jpg

spoiler pics 756.jpg

4.JPG

Picture 032.jpg

DSCF0193[1].jpg

I had a 318 2bbl , 360 4bbl, 340 with a 671 dyers blower. And then I woke up and put a common rail in it. The diesel got over 20 mpg and was a true stump puller. Real trucks don't have spark plugs. And if they don't smoke black take em back.

View attachment 1715266108

View attachment 1715266109

View attachment 1715266110

View attachment 1715266112

View attachment 1715266113

I thought about going the diesel route, its an option. Those are some good looking trucks!!

If the 360 needs freshened up do that and put it in place of the 318 you will definitely notice a difference.

Im sure it needs a little bit of freshening. That would be the easiest option, straighten that up while I run the 318 thats in it. Although almost anything is on the table right now as I don't drive it much in the winter up here due to the liquid vehicle remover they use on the roads. It doesnt have any rust on it at this point.

This is mine.
B45B2A11-B49F-4879-A3D7-B54EB4314B8B.jpeg
Thats as far as i got before the fuel pump eccentric fell off. I had just done the timing chain and tune up. It was moving very well, took two chevys to yank me out.
I use locktite on my eccentric bolts now...

Another update: according to the vin numbers the Winnebago is a 1977.

360cid, 727 trans I presume torqueflite or loadflite I do not know. It does have a Dana 8 lug dually rear end and many other "spare" parts I can use.

I cant find any info in a '77 360, I see '76 and '78. Regardless, it has a mere 76,643 miles on it. I will plug smog holes, add the headers and x pipe dual exhaust, put in the new hei ignition and high voltage c coil, top it with my new distributor, edelbrock performer and holley 600crm carb and see where im at.

I think I will get new head gaskets and if the heads are not the greatest I will replace those with something better.

I do wonder if it would already have a RV cam considering it's in a RV. The less I have to screw with things the happier I'll be.

I guess all I have to do now is toughen up and get out in this 3 degree weather and start pulling engines in the snow. Makes me wish I was still young and full of ambition.

The transmission for a 2 wheel drive uses a differant output shaft and tailhousing than a 4x4 tranny.
You would need the 360 torque converter tho.

The transmission for a 2 wheel drive uses a differant output shaft and tailhousing than a 4x4 tranny.
You would need the 360 torque converter tho.
Could I just take the tail end off my power wagon transmission? Or is not as simple as that?

Could I just take the tail end off my power wagon transmission? Or is not as simple as that?
Why not use the 360 and converter with the 727 already in the truck. Asuming that the power wagon is an automatic.

I thought about going the diesel route, its an option. Those are some good looking trucks!!

You said you would be happy with a crate 408 for less than $4k.

Going diesel will double that.

Also, remember, maintainence and repair on a diesel costs more as well as not having the convenience of pulling up to any gas station in every little town.

Don't let the diesel snobs fool ya, there are trade offs.

-
Back