1974 Scamp some assembly required

-
Your brave, lol. It's your car, do whatever you want. You'll catch hell, but f-em, haha.
If I do I won't leave it that way I will pull the engine and paint it later. Lol
Honestly If it comes down to it I will probably just delay installing the engine and save money longer if it really comes down to that.

You absolutely can...there are hundreds of places that can mix custom aerosol paints for you in factory color codes-even in little old Abilene, Texas we have them. It’s probably not show winning paint, but if all you need is some touch up or area repair, it’s a nice option.
Thanks I will research this! This isn't a great idea.

I think the aerosol paint system they mix up in my town is either sikkens or UPOL. I haven’t used it but I know they can.

Fenders seem to line up ok. Will need a little tweaking. Must have done something right.
20190307_184925.jpg
20190307_184945.jpg

Oh yeah, manual brakes and steering. Now we're hotrodding.

20190310_190604(1).jpg
20190310_190537(1).jpg

Last edited:
Due to tolerance stack between AMD and Ma Mopar, or crappy planing on my part, the right fender didn't have enough room at the upper radiator support. So it had to move about a 1/2 ". After studying my options for a while, I decided I needed a new toy for this job. How have I lived without it? It's freaking awesome! And made short work of this job. Thank goodness I have juniors Scamp to take measurements off of. Fender fits nice, now.
20190314_180715.jpg
20190314_175356.jpg
20190314_175409.jpg
20190314_175912.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, my spot welds are ugly. Whatever, I'm an electronics guy, lol.

Last edited:
Well I was hoping to get lucky and only have to do rotors and brakes, lines etc. Got one (left) bad upper ball joint. I have a couple kicking around the shop. Wondering if I should replace everything or stay with the "get it safe and running" idea. Then do a full front end suspension upgrade later this summer.
20190315_200308(1).jpg

Yea I know. But one upper ball will take like what, 15 minutes? All new bushings in the control arms etc etc.....
Crap.
Will you be tearing the car apart again later on or would you have to tear the suspension apart later just to rebuild it?

Will you be tearing the car apart again later on or would you have to tear the suspension apart later just to rebuild it?
At some point in the not to distant future (year while I build it?) a different engine will be going in. So no this isn't the long term setup.

At some point in the not to distant future (year while I build it?) a different engine will be going in. So no this isn't the long term setup.
In that case, if it’s not more than a year or two, I’d replace the balljoint and run it.

Well good news I guess. The ball joint is fine. But on the other hand I'm a little concerned that what was loose and making the clunk clunk was the nut that wasn't even finger tight. WTH? Had a cotter pin in it to boot. At first I was thinking maybe the slop came from a worn-out ball joint, but the ball joint is nice and tight. IDK. Boot was shot so I cobbled one up I had.
20190316_193907.jpg
20190316_193756.jpg

Installed the hood hindges tonight. No push nuts laying around, but I have plenty drill bits washers and cotter pins.
20190318_211101.jpg
20190318_211128.jpg
20190318_211200.jpg

Lets get those fenders on!

Last edited:
Next I'm gonna prep, and paint the upper cowl. Lady at the paint store said they're very good at color matching old dull, flat, ratty paint. We shall see. I'm digging the way the car looks with the surviving paint. Original paint was B5 with one respray that is a little darker. May also be B5 but doesn't match too well. The original paint underneath is showing through in a lot of spots (primer also) but I think it looks cool, warts and all. Right now anyway. Maybe one day it'll get an all new coat.

I say within factory assembly standards for the year. How's the gap around doors? No rust, a dream mopar...

-
Back