1976 Feather Duster What is it worth????

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I found a 1976 feather Duster. Car was a original bench seat car. The seat in the front is long gone. The original 6 cyl engine and trans are gone. Everything else appears to be there. Floors, trunk,frame ,inner fenders,and torsion bar area are very nice. No holes. Trunk lid has some issues as well as lower rear quarters. Grille and bumpers are present. It also comes with a 383 big block engine from carb to oil pan. Block year appears to be 65 or 85. The air cleaner I think said commando with chrome valve covers. The guy wants 1500.00 for the whole deal. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Tod Here is the vin VL29C6G136670 Fender tag also is present with the car.

Slappy, since the things that make a Feather Duster a Feather Duster are the hood, trunk lid, bumper mounts, intake and exhaust(all lightweight stuff) and it sounds like some of it is gone. I just sold a trunk lid recently from a Feather Duster and got a whopping $75.00 bucks for it. If the car was all there it would be well worth the $1500.00 bucks. Since it has a big block with it that brings it back to being worth about what he is asking BUT!!!!! Car still has small bolt drums all the way around, 7 1/4 rear end, no tranny, no front seat, needs lower quarters, and you do not know the status of the motor. Do the math. Unless you are planning on spending lots of time on the car and considerable amounts of money finishing it maybe its not worth it in the long run. On the flipside if you have the time and money if you were to search and find front seat, a slant six, (and there are LOTS of date coded 76 slants around), get another Feather Duster trunk lid (or Dart Lite) and bring it back to its original glory it will be worth some bucks as they did not make too many of these cars.

Bottom line as far as I would consider the big block is worthless to this car as it would only bring the value down. Remember, you will need conversion motor mounts and still have to notch the K member for the oil tube, get a tranny, an 8 3/4 rear end, torsion bars and complete heavy duty V8 brakes all the way around. LOTS OF MONEY. The other route is a seat, a six banger and tranny, and some good old body work. LOTS LESS MONEY. If you have a place for the car to sit dry this may be a good find but I would try to deal without the motor. My price cutoff would be at $800.00 for the car alone. One point of interest not covered. Does this car have the 'space saver option? Thats the fold down rear seat, sunroof(additinal option), split high back bench seat. Also does it have an in window rear defroster, dual rallye or standard mirrors, wheel lip trim, 4 speed stuff still there?? These are also things to consider on the worth of the car. Most of these cars were stripped down pretty good but some got the add on treatment and are much more rare due to the amount of options verses the numbers of cars made. These cars did get close to 30 mpg on the highway! I do not decode numbers myself but try and find the build sheet or take the info off the fender tag and do some numbers crunching. Hope that long winded reply helps!!
Chas.

Chas,

Thanks for the info. I kind of thought the same thing. I have no use for any of it. I thought the feather Duster part was interesting. I was looking to make some money. I thought he was asking way to much anyway. I rely on people on this site to give me good direction. I really appreciate your long and informative response. Tod

No problem there Tod, I am not an a body 'Guru' but I do know a little. I bet there is some people on this site that might like to get there hands on that car. It is kind of rare. Like I said, they were low numbers on output as most a bodies were in 76 due to the Volare and Aspens being introduced. If I was closer and wanted a project I would be looking at the car myself. I am just too old to take on a major project. Maybe post this again on the site and see if you can middle man a sale. This car should not be allowed to get away.

Daniel, in reality a guy who I know wanted the lid bad and we made a deal on the lid and washed out an I.O.U. I still have the wheels for you, started a PayPal account up etc. but no big hurry on my end. If you are really interested in getting these sooner I could send them but I would think it would be like 40 to 50 bucks to ship them. I bet at some point we will get together and make this happen. PM or e mail me sometime soon, thanks.
Chas.

did you ever buy it? sometime down the road a restored feather duster with the original items is going to be worth some $$

haha this thread is hilarious... there are two people looking at the same car here.....

If you need the Fender Tag decoded please IM it to me and I will be glad to help!

Later,
Bruce B.

With the exception of the hood, deck lid, and possibly the trans (if 4 speed OD), the rest of the parts are pretty garden variety type stuff. Aluminum 1 bbl intake is not that big to most people, bumper supports are something someone might look at if they were already messing with bumper, but most are not going to go out of their way to track down.

A complete lightweight car has more value complete then apart. Once the /6 gets pulled for a V8, the light weight nature of the car is gone, and the rest becomes a conversation piece. Side note, MOST of the lightweight cars were big bolt pattern disc brake cars. MOST were 4 speed OD cars.

Unfortunately, the parts from Dart Lite and Feather Dusters are not holy grail parts for weight loss. How heavy is a hood or deck lid, really? Is the aluminum substructure going to shave hundreds of pounds... nope.
The lightweight cars have their place...more for their place in history, their idea that Mopar could build a MPG car with old technology then their weight.

I resurrect this thread from the dead. Today I just bought a complete 76 feather duster has all light weight stuff intake no floor or trunk rust has the 4spd OD alum tranny and 4 large pattern drumbs color is gold metalic maybe light brown metalic. Will be towing home next saturday. I was very skeeptical it was real tell inspection but it is real car original paint started with gas down carb think it needs the tank cleaned and fuel pump replaced has been out of DMV for years. Someone installed a chevy radiator badly other than that all original speedo show 56,000 miles. Yes for only 1500 what a deal never thought I would get a chance at a complete Feather Duster.

Dang I was all juiced up to drive to Tampa lookin for a Duster for sale cheap :(

Slappy, since the things that make a Feather Duster a Feather Duster are the hood, trunk lid, bumper mounts, intake and exhaust(all lightweight stuff) and it sounds like some of it is gone. I just sold a trunk lid recently from a Feather Duster and got a whopping $75.00 bucks for it. If the car was all there it would be well worth the $1500.00 bucks. Since it has a big block with it that brings it back to being worth about what he is asking BUT!!!!! Car still has small bolt drums all the way around, 7 1/4 rear end, no tranny, no front seat, needs lower quarters, and you do not know the status of the motor. Do the math. Unless you are planning on spending lots of time on the car and considerable amounts of money finishing it maybe its not worth it in the long run. On the flipside if you have the time and money if you were to search and find front seat, a slant six, (and there are LOTS of date coded 76 slants around), get another Feather Duster trunk lid (or Dart Lite) and bring it back to its original glory it will be worth some bucks as they did not make too many of these cars.

Bottom line as far as I would consider the big block is worthless to this car as it would only bring the value down. Remember, you will need conversion motor mounts and still have to notch the K member for the oil tube, get a tranny, an 8 3/4 rear end, torsion bars and complete heavy duty V8 brakes all the way around. LOTS OF MONEY. The other route is a seat, a six banger and tranny, and some good old body work. LOTS LESS MONEY. If you have a place for the car to sit dry this may be a good find but I would try to deal without the motor. My price cutoff would be at $800.00 for the car alone. One point of interest not covered. Does this car have the 'space saver option? Thats the fold down rear seat, sunroof(additinal option), split high back bench seat. Also does it have an in window rear defroster, dual rallye or standard mirrors, wheel lip trim, 4 speed stuff still there?? These are also things to consider on the worth of the car. Most of these cars were stripped down pretty good but some got the add on treatment and are much more rare due to the amount of options verses the numbers of cars made. These cars did get close to 30 mpg on the highway! I do not decode numbers myself but try and find the build sheet or take the info off the fender tag and do some numbers crunching. Hope that long winded reply helps!!
Chas.

Wait a second here. My friend has a 76 Feather, slant six/4-speed...it has LBP wheels, (manual) disc brakes, and an 8.25" rear axle. Weirdly, his has manual steering & brakes...with factory A/C. :?

-
Back