1976 three on the tree question

-
Talking about strange combinations, I found a dedicated 3 speed only big block bellhousing. Casting number decoded it to a C body. Now think about that a minute. A C body. Mopar's luxury barge, with a three speed manual. Was it a floor shift? That wouldda been cool. What about a column shift? Talk about weird.

Back in the sixties a 3 on the tree was common as dirt in poor mans cars and pickups, no matter what brand.
I have a 62 Lancer, a 64 Savoy more door and a 62 Dart, all were slants and 3 on tree cars. A230.
My second car in HS was 64 Ford Custom, 289 3 on tree. I had a '68 Ford 1/2 t. 289 on tree.

Back in the sixties a 3 on the tree was common as dirt in poor mans cars and pickups, no matter what brand.
I have a 62 Lancer, a 64 Savoy more door and a 62 Dart, all were slants and 3 on tree cars. A230.
If A230s were in those cars, they were transplanted.

Yeah the A833od is a 4-speed....
in as much as all four gears are in the main box, and all 4 gears can be shifted by the one stick.
But with a V-8, you can't drive it like a 4-speed. If you power shift , or just shock that tiny M/S gear; it just explodes. Overdrive is strictly for cruising in. Therefore I call it a 3+1, which is way more accurate than calling it a 4-speed.
I blew three of them up before I figured enough was enough. One of them also took out the Input gear out, which pretty much trashed the whole box.
I got lots of spare parts, except of course the M/S od gear...... lol.

but yeah, I would run it behind a slanty.
And also behind a 318 but if I did, I would put some kind of interlock on it to remind me to ease into overdrive.
I once put a GVod behind that box, for seven well-spaced and usable ratios. That combo made great fuel-mileage with a final drive ratio of 1.97, lol. for 85mph =2100rpm

Last edited:
yeah he had it either new or a couple years old, it was nice at the time. He was married with 3 kids so he liked an economy car...he wasn't buying performance cars LOL! I remember the pop out rear windows.
Yeah that pretty much what they were used for. Apparently him and his work buddies all owned various 70’s mopars and the garrage in the city would be a wall of dusters and darts. He intended to keep it forever since his previous car had been a Vega with horrid oil eating and while he had the duster a cord Taunus MK 2 US version that he hated and wanted to pass the duster onto his grandchildren eventually but it only lasted 6 months in the driveway before my grandma secretly called the towing people. Now I’m interested in rebuilding one very similar so that’s why I’ve been asking all these questions.

If A230s were in those cars, they were transplanted.
Aren't those A230 ?? Wait! you are right again, those early 3 speeds have the top cover and the A230 has the side cover and a syn first gear plus a provision for the floor shifter. The Toad is getting the A230 and a hurst shifter, and it all sits under a tarp wait'n for some some attention!!! I forget what number they call those early ones.
I got that DRS disease! Don't remember ****!

Aren't those A230 ?? Wait! you are right again, those early 3 speeds have the top cover and the A230 has the side cover and a syn first gear plus a provision for the floor shifter. The Toad is getting the A230 and a hurst shifter, and it all sits under a tarp wait'n for some some attention!!! I forget what number they call those early ones.
I got that DRS disease! Don't remember ****!
I don't know what dictates what transmission they got, but the early ones were the A903, like Vixen has and the A745.The A745 is what came in some of the Max Wedge cars. They also have the top loader plate, but are obviously much heavier duty. The A230 has a very similar looking case to the A833. It's a very stout transmission for a three speed.

Reminds me of a weird car I came across last year; about a 63 Fairlane with a bone stock 4-speed on the column. It looked like a three speed shifter, but first was where reverse usually was, and it had a pull cable under the dash for reverse. And I thought the Saab Sonnet with it's 4-speed column shift was weird enough.

Reminds me of a weird car I came across last year; about a 63 Fairlane with a bone stock 4-speed on the column. It looked like a three speed shifter, but first was where reverse usually was, and it had a pull cable under the dash for reverse. And I thought the Saab Sonnet with it's 4-speed column shift was weird enough.
How funny my grandpa had a friend(don’t rember his name) who apparently owned a shot and preferred Column to stick and would build insane linkages to get multi gear floorshift boxes to be colum shift and he apparently would usually rig a lever next to the parking brake. My gramps thought he was nuts and unfortunately I never got to meet the guy as he passed before I was born. He was supposed to convert my grandpas duster to one of the fancy 4 speed floor shifters and spice up the slant but died before he could work on it.

LOL When I was going to Navy electronics school at Treasure Island, the guy who later sold me the 70 440-6 RR had a friend who wanted a clutch changed in his (full size) Ford. I forget what I agreed to "not much" 20 bucks I guess. I was used to GM 3 speeds!!!!

What a BAD surprise when I got under that damn Ford and that great big 3 speed they used!!!

-
Back