1977 440 out of a van.

-

OriginalDart

Reaction score
i'm about to buy a 1977 440 w/727 trans. its from a van and has 47k on it. i've been reading that there are subtle differences on these engines, mainly the heads, intake, and water pump can be different. also i noticed on the rear of the engine...bolted to the trans bolts there is a metal plate with an electronic ignition setup on it.

my questions are, aside from possibly having to switch the heads and intake, what all else do i need to do to drop this in my 69 dart? Do i need a different K frame? what are good motor mounts?

This is my first time swapping a mopar and I'm doing it on my own. All my friends are chevy and ford guys. If anyone could help me along the way or just highlight some threads here i could read up on. Thanks

-OriginalDart

take it from someone who has spent 11 years with a vibration problem. put a set of Schumacher mounts in it to get the engine straight in the car. I am doing that as we speak.

It the motor home engines that have the different water pumps and heads, you maybe luck with one from a van.
Check the tech pages at big block dart, lots of good info there too.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/techindex.shtml

Also check out Jim Lusk videos how to make a big block k member.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaM_jHLi08"]DC K-member 04 part one a.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

My 1976 440 engine originally came out of a motor home. If my memory serves me correct, its been 14 years ago, I believe mine came with 452 heads on it and the water pump was the same as the car. could be wrong but pretty sure. I know I had the plate on the back that you talk about but that all came off when I installed the MSD ignition on it. I also changed the k frame as I believe you have the biscuit mounts on the motor home. at least mine did. Make sure you go with the Schumacher mounts.

Saying the word "motorhome" is not very helpful. It's HEAVY truck / motorhome that generates the different heads and water pump. Like big Winnebagos, "class A" and not the "van nose" 3/4--1T stuff, the class C and B

On the "van" stuff there is probably little difference, other than intake, pan, and cam, and motor mount brackets

Here this might help. There's photos of the "high mount" water pump further down the page

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=246280

"Heavy truck" with high mount water pump. This setup has "wet" heat crossover. That is the what would have been exhaust ports in the head / intake are COOLANT

Even so if you can get these cheap enough, you can at least use parts of the short block, maybe even the rods.

attachment.php

if this is out of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton , (maybe even a 1 ton) dodge 9 passenger van or smaller, this thing will have all the "right" stuff. like Del said, basically all you need is a passenger car oil pan/pick up , motor mounts, exhaust and will have a passenger car (35") 727. if this is out of a motor home , then all bets are off

those are good engines, 452 heads , cam and all, though they are low compression

would you recommend the torque straps and tranny mounts as well? I'm not familiar with how much vibration these 440s dish out

In addition to the Schumacher mounts (that I would recommend as well), he sells "Magnum" mounts which are designed not to fail and rip apart as the old rubber biscuit mounts from the factory would eventually do. The van would have used the later spool mounts which were a better design. So your basic choices are: modify your k-frame for the spool mounts or just buy the Schumacher mounts for your K. The latter will be just fine. Either motor mount will bolt to your block.

A torque strap is totally optional. There shouldn't be a bunch of vibration unless something is wrong. No need to change the trans mount or cross member.

The 452 heads will flow pretty similar to the 906 and they already have the hardened exhaust valve seats.

The later big blocks like that have the water pump inlet on the passenger side. Just something to consider when sourcing a radiator. Cast crank, externally balanced with a thick damper.

Be prepared to upgrade the brakes (discs in front), suspension, and a larger rear diifferential if you have the small one.

I knew brakes and suspension had to be upgraded...already have the 8 3/4 rear...looking for a sure grip to install. Thanks for the info on the mounts. Basically the whole car is stock and needs rebuilding. Motor and tranny first then brakes and suspension. Any recommendations on brake upgrades? I was gonna buy a wilwood kit

You'll get an unlimited number of recommendations on all sorts of things. It really comes down to your budget, priorities, and what kind of car you're wanting to build. Big difference between a race or show car and a budget-minded, down and dirty street car.

A Wilwood setup is nice and will certainly work well. And stock disc components will "get the job done" for less money, so...

-
Back