1980s /6 bolt up to 66 904?

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
I have found a 1980s /six that i am thinking about picking up to replace the one in my 66 cuda that is shot. Will the motor go right in to my car and bolt up to the tranny?

f your 66 still has the original transmission, it will have a small snout torque converter. The crank in the 80s will have a larger recess in the crank for a 68 and up torque converter. There is an adapter available that will enable you to mate the small snout to the large recess. You will also need to use the 66 oil pan and oil pump pickup. Then everything will bolt up.

Question,
1980 225 engine has cast cranshaft, will early torque converter say 1971 need a balance weight.

Question,
1980 225 engine has cast cranshaft, will early torque converter say 1971 need a balance weight.

???? there is no early converter in 71...

the 67 and earlier converter (small hub) motor has small rescess and trans has 26 spline i believe

68 and later has large hub, motor has large recess, and trans has 27 spline

727 trans are 29 spline but same converters

Thanks for the info. I know about TQ front hub size.
My question is a 1980 225 cast crankshaft engine, with a 904 trans Will it need a TQ with a balance weight? I know all cast crank 340-360-400-440 engine have different harmonic balancers and TQ with balance weights.
If it does need a balance weight and using a 904, will the weight on the TQ be the same as for a cast crank 340-360 engine.
The reason for the question is i am working on my sons project 1971 dart 225 904. Engine is 1980 and trans is 1971. Engine was in car and running but not driveable. now engine on stand getting reseal and timing chain, trans on bench waiting for overhaul kit.
Thanks Ed.

My question is a 1980 225 cast crankshaft engine, with a 904 trans Will it need a TQ with a balance weight? I know all cast crank 340-360-400-440 engine have different harmonic balancers and TQ with balance weights.
If it does need a balance weight and using a 904, will the weight on the TQ be the same as for a cast crank 340-360 engine.
The reason for the question is i am working on my sons project 1971 dart 225 904. Engine is 1980 and trans is 1971. Engine was in car and running but not driveable. now engine on stand getting reseal and timing chain, trans on bench waiting for overhaul kit.
Thanks Ed.

i would have to say they are different, just in the fact that a 6 crank is different than an 8. so the balance area's will/should be different. you gonna have to track down a tq for that setup...

Thanks Ed.
No slant 6's ever used a balance weight on the converter.

Nope, Chrysler didn't make any weighted flex plates either....for any engine that I'm aware of.....Just the aftermarket did.

f your 66 still has the original transmission, it will have a small snout torque converter. The crank in the 80s will have a larger recess in the crank for a 68 and up torque converter. There is an adapter available that will enable you to mate the small snout to the large recess. You will also need to use the 66 oil pan and oil pump pickup. Then everything will bolt up.

Do you know who makes this adapter?

Will this adapter also work on the V8 small block?

Sorry to take so long, to post. Yes, this adapter will work with a 68 and newer slant six or small block engine and a 67 and older 904 trans. Use the flexplate for the year of the engine, and the converter for the year of the trans, along with the adapter.

-
Back