1985 Dodge D150 Brake Problem

-

85D150

Reaction score
The brakes on my D150 go to the floor when coming to a stop. Weird and hard to explain. Only did it a couple times but I have not driven it much either.

They quickly go back to normal. In the driveway there normal etc….. I see no leaks Master Cylinder has fluid etc….. I checked the power brake valve and I can’t blow in sorta can suck out on it. Makes a loud hissing sound sorta when doing that. I see no leaks around the power brake booster. Any idea what could be causing this and what to do to find out what’s up with it? Thanks

Power brakes? Sounds like the booster or as Murray said, the master cylinder.

You should be able to pull vacuum from the booster. If not , then you have a bad diaphragm in it.

Agreed with the above. 1 of 2 things.

The seal in the master cylinder could be giving way.
The brake booster has a leak somewhere on and off.
Check the master cylinder first. It’s the most likely.

The booster won't cause the pedal to go to the floor. That the master cylinder if there are no external leaks anywhere.

I have an 85 3/4 ton 4wd that occasionally the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. There is always a tiny bit of rear brake at the very bottom. Pump it a few times and it goes back to normal and has excellent brakes until the next time it does it.

I have tried everything i can think of and it still does it. All new wheel cylinders on the rear, brake shoes are adjusted correctly, new calipers, all 4 rubber hoses and all suspect hard lines changed, several master cylinders tried, different booster. I have bled a couple gallons of fluid through the damn thing trying to figure it out. No leaks anywhere, I get all the air out and i know how to bleed brakes... I have successfully bled brake systems for decades and know how to do it.

any ideas? im at a loss

check this out; The pink fluid is the rear brakes in a Mopar.

2012-05-16_141845_2009-09-21_160922.png

The two pistons are hydraulically coupled, shown by the green fluid between them. If that fluid escapes, into an adjacent reservoir, or into an adjacent power chamber; you lose the front brakes, AND the pedal drops nearly to the floor, but does then mechanically engage the rear brakes using the extended post on the front of it.
Piston #2 has a post on it as well, so that when it bottoms, it leaves enough chamber behind it that the front brakes can still work, allbeit with the pedal very low.
This picture shows the hydraulic coupling is intact between the pistons, but shows a rear brake failure because piston #2 is fully bottomed out.
There are return springs (not shown) that are supposed to return the pistons to their designated parking positions after each brake application, which will then open the Compensating ports , refilling the power chambers. If the C-ports are rusted closed then the pedal will drop a little each time the pads or shoes wear, and eventually be very low. But don't miss that as the pedal falls, it is telling you that the power pistons are running out of working range.
It has happened that rust accumulates in the bores especially when sitting for years, and the piston seals no longer work after they leave their parking spots. The only cure is a rebuild to get the rust out, or replacement.
BTW
I have rebuilt many many M/Cs some of which had pretty rusty bores. But the seals were very often still usable. After honing out the rust, the seals worked again; any leakage due to pitting is rarely felt. The C-port takes care of business.
Happy HotRodding

Last edited:
Well I have driven the truck a little more and the brakes seem to be fine now. If I have the problem again I will replace the master cylinder and go from there

Well I have driven the truck a little more and the brakes seem to be fine now. If I have the problem again I will replace the master cylinder and go from there
just remember, if the pedal falls ..... keep pressing, you may still have brakes in the Second chamber; that's the beauty of a "dual" system .

Moved the truck brake pedal was low again. Ran it for a few minutes and when I shut it off I pumped the pedal and I could hear air. Is that a sign of a bad booster????

that depends;
if the pedal was all the way up, then yes the atmospheric valve may be broken .
But it would be normal to hear the valve working while the pedal is moving, especially while the engine is shut off. In this case, what you are probably hearing is atmospheric air moving into the atmospheric side of the booster.

Here is are the booster tests;
1) with the engine off, pump the pedal several times to empty the vacuum chamber; then press down with a modest force, while you start the engine. As soon as the engine catches and runs, the pedal should fall away from your foot towards the floor, as engine vacuum evacuates the vacuum chamber. This is normal.
2) with the engine running, press down with modest force, then shut the engine off being careful to keep your foot in about the same place. You should not hear any hissing, and it should require the same force to keep the pedal in that position, for several minutes. If not, check your one-way valve and the connections to the booster/intake. (BTW that hose is a special thick-wall vacuum hose; fuel-line will NOT cut it.) If the check-valve is good, and the hose connections are tight, then repeat the test but this time, press down fairly hard with both feet, then shut the engine off. The pedal must remain hard and the pedal must NOT fall away. If it falls away, the M/C is probably leaking internally.
You can prove this. But you will need a helper.
The M/C leakage test;
This test may be messy, so cover everything with rags and especially any painted areas, as brake fluid attacks paint. I will NOT buy you a new paint-job.
Ok so, engine off, pop the top off the M/C. Have your helper slowly, gently, and continuously, press on the brake-pedal. Here is what you should see; for the first bit, the C-ports will release fluid back into the reservoirs, so the fluid will roil just a little. Then as the C-ports are closed off by the passing pistons, all movement in the reservoirs should cease. If you continue to see roiling AND/or a rising liquid level, in either reservoir, the M/C is bad.
When the brake pedal comes to a stop with modest pressure, the pedal should be hard, and it should only be a short ways down the stroke, probably less than halfway down. When the pedal stops, it should remain hard, and not sink any lower.
Now, with the pedal down, put the M/C lid back on and secure it, before releasing the pedal. The reasons for this are; 1) when the pedal returns to the top, the C-ports will be exposed. If there is any air in the system, it will now decompress and blow fluid back into the reservoir . I have seen that geyser hit the underside of the hood! And when it does, it never comes back straight down! And now you are scrambling to clean it up ..... cuz it eats paint. and
2) when the fluid goes out to the brakes and pushes the shoes out, it also stretches out the return-springs. When your pedal returns to the top, those return-springs will force the fluid back into the reservoir thru the C-ports; and you guessed it, this can cause a geyser. So put the M/C lid back on BEFORE the pedal comes back to the top.
When the system is working right with the drum-brakes adjusted up, and NO AIR in the system, you will NOT get a geyser; only a little roiling in the bottom.

Last edited:
-
Back