1986 police engine

-

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
I have a stock 1986 318 4barrel that I pulled from a police car. Does anyone know if these had different cam or heads from another 318 from that year? Thanks.

I would pull the valve covers and check the casting numbers. Use a flashlight and check for roller lifters. Might have the 318 windage tray also.

Yep, 1986 318 had the 302 Closed Chamber Heads.

Along with those it was a 9.2:1 cr Roller Lifter block.

Good chance it has the eccentric at the cam sprocket to drive a manual fuel pump too.

20200608_201627.jpg

1020161100.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Common wisdom is the factory 4 barrel "Police" 318 had 360 heads.

Checking the casting numbers should prove or disprove that.

Just my opinion, the two things "special" about your engine is the 4bbl intake (good intakes) and 99.8% sure you'll have a roller cam motor. Other than that, it's a LA 318. I don't get too excited over any of the head castings in '86. OH, Almost forgot! If it has the oil cooler, it will have the return through the fuel pump bolt - that's neat! :)

I sure would like to see some good detailed pictures of that 318 Police stock 4 barrel intake manifold?

Spread Bore or Square Bore?

Large port or small port (318) intake runners?

Even the intake manifold gaskets if you have taken it apart.

Even a shot of the intake ports of the heads?

20230517_033126.jpg

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆

I have a stock 1986 318 4barrel that I pulled from a police car. Does anyone know if these had different cam or heads from another 318 from that year? Thanks.

There is some talk that the 1986 Police 318 used a spread bore intake with a Rochester Quadra jet mating up to 360 heads.

This sounds like a large port arrangement.

Now here is the thing with the 360 heads they have the small push rod holes as compared to the 302 closed chamber heads (roller lifter engines) larger push rod holes to allow more swing for the taller roller lifters/push rods on the roller lifter engines.

Would be interesting to know if they used the 318 roller block, or the regular 318 LA hydraulic lifter block for the police application?

The thing is if they used the large port spread bore intake and the large port 360 heads on a standard LA hydraulic lifter block, then I would say dollars to doughnuts it would have the 340 cam, same cam that came in the 360 Truck 4 barrel engines.

Do not believe they had anything equivalent to the 340 cam in a roller cam at that time. Would have had the stock roller 2 barrel cam for 1986. Although this roller 2 barrel cam does very well with a 4 barrel on top of it.

Will be very interesting to see if they used the roller block or not for the Police 318 in 1986?

☆☆☆☆☆

There is some talk that the 1986 Police 318 used a spread bore intake with a Rochester Quadra jet mating up to 360 heads.

This sounds like a large port arrangement.

Now here is the thing with the 360 heads they have the small push rod holes as compared to the 302 closed chamber heads (roller lifter engines) larger push rod holes to allow more swing for the taller roller lifters/push rods on the roller lifter engines.

Would be interesting to know if they used the 318 roller block, or the regular 318 LA hydraulic lifter block for the police application?

The thing is if they used the large port spread bore intake and the large port 360 heads on a standard LA hydraulic lifter block, then I would say dollars to doughnuts it would have the 340 cam, same cam that came in the 360 Truck 4 barrel engines.

Do not believe they had anything equivalent to the 340 cam in a roller cam at that time. Would have had the stock roller 2 barrel cam for 1986. Although this roller 2 barrel cam does very well with a 4 barrel on top of it.

Will be very interesting to see if they used the roller block or not for the Police 318 in 1986?

☆☆☆☆☆
Here's what I read about it George.

Other Police Car Specifications Not Found In Civilian Models:​

Engine: The engine should be a 318 with 360 heads, four barrel intake manifold, heavy duty exhaust manifolds, double roller timing chain, hyperutectic pistons, special piston-to-block clearances (allowable by use of the hyperutectic pistons), heavy duty chrome plated oil rings, forged steel connecting rods, heavy duty valve springs, high strength rocker arms, high temp cylinder head cover gaskets, high temp valve seals and shields, lubrite treated camshaft (4bbl hydraulic version had 430/444 lift with 268/276 duration, roller version had 391/391 lift with 240/240 duration), nimonic exhaust valves, special kolene cleaned cylinder heads, special silichrome-1 temp steel intake valves, and a heavy duty water pump.

Transmission: Transmissions will range from the heavy duty A727 (definitely available in 1983 and probably later as a special order), the 5-clutch A998 or the A999 (based on the A904). Some police cars may have 1st gear locked out (i.e. no manual downshifting to first gear – only automatic downshifting). This was done by Chrysler to prevent police personnel from slamming down into first to slow down quickly after a high speed chase and to prevent them from doing the same for quicker acceleration thus over-revving the engine. The lock-out may have been removed when the car was prepped for sale to the civilian market.

Suspension: Police cars came with stiffer suspensions and heavier sway bars than civilian versions. Some police cars may also have solid cast iron K-member isolators rather than the civilian rubber ones. This makes the ride somewhat harsher than their civilian counterparts, but greatly improves handling.

Differential: Police cars have the 8-1/4″ differential with Sure-Grip, and should also have the 2.94 gears unless otherwise ordered or changed. Civilian models have the 7-1/4″ rear ends without Sure-grip and much lower gear ratios.

Rear Axles: Police cars have single-diameter axle tubes. Civilian models have the lighter-duty axle tubes that narrow in diameter as they get close to the differential.

Tires: If they haven’t been switched, police cars will have wider performance tires. They usually came with Goodyear F32 P215/70 R15 tires.

Wheels: Police cars have 6 slotted 15×7″ steel wheels with 4.5″ bolt circles. Hub caps will usually be the small “dog dish” type that snap onto the center of the wheels.

Brakes: The brakes will have 11″ drums. Civilian versions) are 10″. The only exception to this are taxi packages, which will also have 11″ drums.

Isn't there a "sister casting" to the 302 but for a 360?

I want to say "308".

The above is the first I've heard of a larger than .400 lift cam and a smaller than passenger car roller cam in a police car.

Here's what I read about it George.

Other Police Car Specifications Not Found In Civilian Models:​

Engine: The engine should be a 318 with 360 heads, four barrel intake manifold, heavy duty exhaust manifolds, double roller timing chain, hyperutectic pistons, special piston-to-block clearances (allowable by use of the hyperutectic pistons), heavy duty chrome plated oil rings, forged steel connecting rods, heavy duty valve springs, high strength rocker arms, high temp cylinder head cover gaskets, high temp valve seals and shields, lubrite treated camshaft (4bbl hydraulic version had 430/444 lift with 268/276 duration, roller version had 391/391 lift with 240/240 duration), nimonic exhaust valves, special kolene cleaned cylinder heads, special silichrome-1 temp steel intake valves, and a heavy duty water pump.

Transmission: Transmissions will range from the heavy duty A727 (definitely available in 1983 and probably later as a special order), the 5-clutch A998 or the A999 (based on the A904). Some police cars may have 1st gear locked out (i.e. no manual downshifting to first gear – only automatic downshifting). This was done by Chrysler to prevent police personnel from slamming down into first to slow down quickly after a high speed chase and to prevent them from doing the same for quicker acceleration thus over-revving the engine. The lock-out may have been removed when the car was prepped for sale to the civilian market.

Suspension: Police cars came with stiffer suspensions and heavier sway bars than civilian versions. Some police cars may also have solid cast iron K-member isolators rather than the civilian rubber ones. This makes the ride somewhat harsher than their civilian counterparts, but greatly improves handling.

Differential: Police cars have the 8-1/4″ differential with Sure-Grip, and should also have the 2.94 gears unless otherwise ordered or changed. Civilian models have the 7-1/4″ rear ends without Sure-grip and much lower gear ratios.

Rear Axles: Police cars have single-diameter axle tubes. Civilian models have the lighter-duty axle tubes that narrow in diameter as they get close to the differential.

Tires: If they haven’t been switched, police cars will have wider performance tires. They usually came with Goodyear F32 P215/70 R15 tires.

Wheels: Police cars have 6 slotted 15×7″ steel wheels with 4.5″ bolt circles. Hub caps will usually be the small “dog dish” type that snap onto the center of the wheels.

Brakes: The brakes will have 11″ drums. Civilian versions) are 10″. The only exception to this are taxi packages, which will also have 11″ drums.

Still has not said anything about it being a roller lifter/roller block in 1986 Police car?

With the 360 heads with the small push rod holes, and the 340 cam and 340 springs, it's got to be a Non-Roller block.

Would be nice if the OP would confirm this when he looks into it.

Pulling the distributor and looking at the cam/lifters would confirm this.

☆☆☆☆☆

Yes. Lots of opportunity for documentation here for something that's not IMO very well documented.

I've got a very tired 318 4 barrel motor that's been transplanted into a 72 Charger that originally had a 400-4.

I always assumed it was a roller motor and had a suspicion it was a cop motor.

It's got so little compression it won't even fire.

I should probably scrape the pan rail to see if there's a K in the vin, although It could have also been an A38 car if it is indeed a police motor.

My back burner plans for it was a bore and stroke to 392.

I don't even know what else might have come with a 318-4.

The intake does not have any signs that it was transplanted from a 360 but I suppose they could have done a real good job, although "they" did not do a "real good job" on anything else with that car.

Now this is interesting. Here is an interesting combination, 318 4 barrel engine with 360 heads on a Roller Cam Block?

20230629_175042.jpg

Have to see what other information is available on the Police 318 out on the internet?

☆☆☆☆☆

I went through an 85 or 86 police 318 for a 91 truck one time. It had the quadrajet carb with open chamber 360 heads. 345 or something casting number. The pistons were a little closer to the deck than a normal 318. It was a roller cam block with a flat tappet cam in it. I put it in the truck with the TBI and it was a real turd until I put closed chamber heads original to the truck back on it.

Im pretty sure it had never been apart. If i remember correctly the heads had the large push rod holes required for the shorter roller push rods, but like i said it had the regular flat tappet cam. The bosses required for the factory roller lifter hold down deal where present, drilled and tapped.

When using the 360 heads on a 318, doesn't that drop the CR due to the larger combustion chamber? Or do those heads have smaller chambers? I have 2 1988 318 engines that are complete. One is totally unmolested except for removal of the lean burn, converted to the HEI system. Bought new, and used as a daily driver.
The other is a (supposedly) cop car engine and trans. I got it as a complete Front end with the engine still bolted to the "K" frame, with steering and brakes. I have not dissembled anything, yet. It did have a carter competition series carb (adapter for the stock manifold) and a Mallory Unilite distributer in it. Also got the rear from the car. The rear is a 7 1/4 non SG. I don't want to take anything apart, as I use this engine for checking carbs, as it runs good.
PS: I found out about the oil cooler return the first time I fired the engine. Guess how? :)

Yep, 1986 318 had the 302 Closed Chamber Heads.

Along with those it was a 9.2:1 cr Roller Lifter block.

Good chance it has the eccentric at the cam sprocket to drive a manual fuel pump too.
I can't help but to giggle every time I read "manual" fuel pump. It's mechanical not manual as in man hand operated.

Still no OP since when the thread was started. We're just wandering around talking to ourselves. :lol:

Sadly, when they reported that the 360 had a forged crank, it makes me wonder what else they don't have right.
Yea, they definitely got that one wrong 66fs!

Only reference I can find anywhere else is that the cranks were specially treated but definitely not forged.

I went through an 85 or 86 police 318 for a 91 truck one time. It had the quadrajet carb with open chamber 360 heads. 345 or something casting number. The pistons were a little closer to the deck than a normal 318. It was a roller cam block with a flat tappet cam in it. I put it in the truck with the TBI and it was a real turd until I put closed chamber heads original to the truck back on it.

Im pretty sure it had never been apart. If i remember correctly the heads had the large push rod holes required for the shorter roller push rods, but like i said it had the regular flat tappet cam. The bosses required for the factory roller lifter hold down deal where present, drilled and tapped.

Thanks, this answered a lot of questions.

Interesting yet odd combination of parts they put together for that Police 318.

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back