1987 Dodge D150 pickup 5.2l 318 cid

-

Dodge D

Reaction score
I got have my grandfather's truck old I'm looking to do some work too it what is needed for like a stoker build. I would love to have some links to make the engine nice and strong I'm new to the v8 life I have already saved the 318 whiplash cam huges engines. But what is need to do it mostly trying to get the right parts to have someone do the actual build for me but need things that work with what I have 1987 Dodge D150 pickup 5.2l 318cid links to good pistons cranks or info on what I have to change would be great start for me getting stuff together to have it done thx I fixed alternator and I have originally cast exhuast manifolds onw but what else can I do everything else is stock or atleast I think

20221027_135122.jpg

20221027_135116.jpg

- welcome to the site !!!!
- using punctuations will help us get through your paragraph!
- lots of info on building strokers on this site. Some you may find in the "search", or maybe start your own "stroker" build in the small block section!

- welcome to the site !!!!
- using punctuations will help us get through your paragraph!
- lots of info on building strokers on this site. Some you may find in the "search", or maybe start your own "stroker" build in the small block section!I
Yes I've done allot of research on this Ole 318 but really needing more details on it. Like I said I'm new to the v8 life I want to stroke the engine but have completely 0 idea on what else would need done to it
Thx Plym Crazy hope it turns out really nice

What are you wanting out of the truck that you think it "needs to be" stroked"? If you're not racing it and wanting that "last tenth" or not towing huge trailers you can make that 318 run quite respectably without that added expense!!!!

To just set and look nice too remind me of my grandfather. was such a great man he would love to see the truck nice with good parts to it. Its going to stay a farm truck style normal lift nothing special looking but I want the motor to be built as would he. So plz details on what would have to be done. Can I just buy a bigger crank or will I need to have it bored to something over ? I'm plan to have the whiplash 318 cam by huges engines put it it as well really just looking for more to do to it to make it quick and strong.

If you want it "stroked" the cheapest way is to round up a 360LA or maybe even a 5.9 Magnum and go through it.

There are rotating balance differences between all three but that can be resolved

I understand but I do not want to siwthc engine I would really like to just work it out with the 318

I plan on having somethings done to my truck . Firstly I'm trying to figure out if i should buy all the parts like heads cam pistons etc. stand alone. OR should i just get something like a performance package kit with everything in it please let me know something. Any info on the parts i have listed below going on to my stock engine block 318 would be great also other links to other parts that you think mat work better for my build

PARTS LIST FOR 318 5.2 [STOCK}

1, Hugesengines.com 318 Whiplash cam premium kit HUG SMC1326AL-PK

2,Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Head Part Number: 350-60779 JEGS.com

3,Proform Small Block Chrysler Shaft Mounted Aluminum Roller Rockers in 1.5 Ratio
Part Number: 778-66869 JEGS.com

4,MULT SPARK/REV LIMITER/VAC ADV/ ADJUSTABLE CURV # - PRT D7141700 Hugesengines.com

5.Eagle forged 4340 steel crankshaft Part Number: ESP-439637666135 SummitRaceing.com
OR
6; Mopar Performance Crankshaft, Internal Balance, Cast Steel, 4.00 in. Stroke, Chrysler, 318, 340, SummitRaceing.com
Summit Racing Part Number - DCC-P5007256

MOPAR Manufacturer's Part Number ; P500725

Anything that you may see I have missing please let me know I've tried gathering as much information as i can

Welcome to the site.
It's impossible to evaluate your selections until you tell us what the goal of the build is.
Good mannered street, hot street, towing, strip, or what? Something you can hop in and take a 1,000 mile road trip in, or something that's going to get trailered to the track on weekends? It all makes a difference.

Welcome to the site.
It's impossible to evaluate your selections until you tell us what the goal of the build is.
Good mannered street, hot street, towing, strip, or what? Something you can hop in and take a 1,000 mile road trip in, or something that's going to get trailered to the track on weekends? It all makes a difference.
I've been putting allot of thought into it and i am going for HOT STREET TRUCK. That would be my best bet I think. From what I have gathered about the 318 I don't think i will stroke it only upgrades to what stock 318 engine block i have. With that being said i guess I still want it to be FIREY for the roads!

Um, no- that's a big block Chevy crankshaft.

I thought you didn't want a stroker? This crank is 4.00 stroke, stock is 3.31.

Spend some time with the "search" function- go to the "Small Block Mopar Engine" forum, click on the search button, enter "318 build", select "this forum" and you'll get enough results to keep you reading for a few nights... and you'll have a bunch of ideas to narrow down what you really want and or need, not to mention what you can afford to do. As the old saying goes: "How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?"
Here's one to get you started:
Inputs on a home built 318 for red light to red light fun
I did not relies that was such a big crank shaft i will do more research and come back. is the Mopar shaft a good one that is in above reply? This was my grandfathers truck i want the best for it. In a street performance/ Drag way so ill let it set until i have everything needed to to the build correct the fist time, I do not want to stroke it so i am limited to what things I can actually change I feel like. i want to stay stock so i can use the basic measurements of the 318 to boost what performance I can like Heads , Intake , Pistons Lifters , Rockers Arms , if can let me know about some of the other parts i have listed that would be a great help . for me to move onto next few things of knowing what I actually need. THX

Pardon, how old are you?
Do you have much in the way of automotive experience?

I ask because you are all over the place and picked wrong parts, description of what you want to do is not clear. Do you want to stay with the 318 or or?

The engine is small for fitting into any of your descriptive words and your shying away from a stroker (that’s fine) but them word it like it limits you or the stroker kit is a limiting issue.

It seems close to you not having any real idea of what your doing with the assumptions.

Sticking with a 318? That’s a problem for your goal.
What year make and model truck are we talking about and what is it equipped with? Is it a 4X4?
Yes I've done allot of research on this Ole 318 but really needing more details on it. Like I said I'm new to the v8 life I want to stroke the engine but have completely 0 idea on what else would need done to it

I understand but I do not want to siwthc engine I would really like to just work it out with the 318
What is siwthc?

After that, the above to quoted in bold word contradict each other. What exactly does it mean you want to work it out with the 318? (Sounds like a lovers spat!)

Pardon, how old are you?
Do you have much in the way of automotive experience?

I ask because you are all over the place and picked wrong parts, description of what you want to do is not clear. Do you want to stay with the 318 or or?

The engine is small for fitting into any of your descriptive words and your shying away from a stroker (that’s fine) but them word it like it limits you or the stroker kit is a limiting issue.

It seems close to you not having any real idea of what your doing with the assumptions.
I'm 23 i have very little information about any of it. that's why i ask just in need of a good parts list i didn't know that part was incorrect my bad lol. i want this to be a good performance drag truck with out stroking the engine, i don't know what I need so plz leave some available links. i have given upp on the idea of stroking the 318 i just need good aftermarket performance drag parts.

OK, your staying with the 318.
Do you plan on piston replacement?

OK, your staying with the 318.
Do you plan on piston replacement?
Yes i would like to replace a much as i can Lifter , Valves , Rocker Arms , Cam , anything that can be done and put back together pretty seamlessly with out machining or rotating the engine.

OK! 23! Cool. Automotive experience?

How heavy is the truck?
How fast do you want to go?
“Drag” parts maybe the last thing you need.

OH! That’s funny! Without machining! LMAO!
Sorry, but pistons will need to be spd Ed for the cylinder bore and there not drop in. Rocker arms are not exactly a bolt on and go ether. Valves certainly are not a drop in item.

I am beginning to see you don’t know much about engines.
Your going to need a book or two to start with. I suggest the following books to read and fully understand before you ask a single question more.

How to rebuild your small block MoPar or Chrysler engine
Who to hot rod your small block MoPar (Larry Shepard)

OK, OK, OK

Start with the basics:

You have a 1987 D150 with a 318 in it. It is a carbureted, manual fuel pump, 9.2:1 compression ratio, that came with flat top pistons and the closed chamber 302 heads, and roller lifter setup, all from the factory.

Simple first step is to put a camshaft of your choice (not too big), 4 bbl. intake manifold, and something like an Edelbrock 1406 4 bbl carb on it, it's jetted properly for your 318 right out of the box.

1987 318 Roller Lifter engine pictured below:
Screenshot_20221030-193219_Gallery.jpg

These roller 318 engines came factory with the 318 closed chambered heads pictured like these below:
1020161100.jpg

Great setup using what you have.

Next step would be to start buying lots more parts, and spending lots more money.

Good luck on your project.

☆☆☆☆☆

I tried to merge 2 threads and the posts ended up elsewhere. Please be patient while I move the posts back.

i Understand your thoughts but this is my options atm and if i choose correct parts i can use them on a 318 and a 360 so ill just have to swap and also I'm not doing the build i am just acquiring the parts to have it done for me. That is why I'm in need of good 318 parts i can order from Jegs.com get Heads Rocker Arms ,pistons ,Cam ,Lifters everything that will just need dropped it and work I want a fiery beefed up stock 318 that runs extremally well. i was in auto motive in HS that is it im not trying to say im smarter lmao im asking fr good parts is all family

-
Back