again. It has a new fuel pump,timing chain and
gears. It seems like something electronic. I cant
get the fault codes because the check engine
light isn't working.I did change the throttle body
and it didn't help so I put the original throttle
body back on it. BTW it doesn't have an 02
sensor. I'm almost ready to burn it.
Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks Tom

it sounds like you may have more than one thing wrong, the 1st being no 02 sensor, did you try unhooking the battery to clear the codes? if so how did it run? did you replace the fuel filter? have you checked the idle control sensor, throttle position sensor? how cruddy is the inside of the throttle body? black as the ace of spades, get some cleaner, how about the air cleaner? I'd check the dumb stuff, then clear the codes, see how it does if no change move on to the sensors, but you'll need to get the 02 sensor hooked up sooner or later, or keep dealing with the computer wigging out because it don't know it the engine is lean or rich, also clean the plugs, or replace if needed, let us know if you figure it out.

Mark

My 88 is doing just the opposite. When the outside temp is cool it runs like ****. After the outside temp is up it runs great. I've done a complete tune up,throttle body temp senser, intake manifold senser, TPS, some relat for the throttle body. Oh, the distributer has been done a year ago. Sorry to hijack. How about you catylitic converter?That might be your problem. Anyone got an idea on mine? I'm ready to take the 12 gauge to it.

You think the map senser is my problem as well?

You think the map senser is my problem as well?
The reason I suggested the map sensor was because he said after it warmed up there was black smoke and ran rough. I had a Dodge Spirit that did that and another map sensor cured the problem. I got one at a pick a part yard for $5.00.

It looks like it was never equipped with a 02 sensor.The fuel filter
and fuel pump is new as well.So is the map sensor.
I did clear the fault codes a few times
and it didn't do any good.I also changed the throttle body and it
still did the same thing so I put the original one back on it.It
has been tuned up with all new stuff.I will get into the sensors.
Is there a way to test them.

My 88 is doing just the opposite. When the outside temp is cool it runs like ****. After the outside temp is up it runs great. I've done a complete tune up,throttle body temp senser, intake manifold senser, TPS, some relat for the throttle body. Oh, the distributer has been done a year ago. Sorry to hijack. How about you catylitic converter?That might be your problem. Anyone got an idea on mine? I'm ready to take the 12 gauge to it.

Still giving you the problems, Mike? I was hoping that since I didn't hear from you we'd gotten the problems licked. Sorry about that, guess I should have made a follow up phone call. Let me do some more digging and see what I can find. For both problems.

Thanks Robert, I have had a rough couple weeks. I have it a shop and he going over each page of data. I'm gonna go to pull a part and grab a map sensor and throw it on to count that out.

Don't forget the coolant temperature sensor. They are very reliable and usually do not fail, but when the do, the default is to show that the engine is cold, and more fuel is injected. if the engine is warm, the extra fuel would show up as black smoke from the exhaust.

I can't get the damn thing to start at all now.It's
driving me nuts. I will try the coolant sensor. Is
there a way to hook up an hand held analyzer
and maybe get the fault codes that way.

I had the same problem on a Ramcharger. The throttle body had loose bolts. Easy fix, but hard to see, until I actually touched it....the throttle body I mean.:angry7:

coolant sensor and map sensor have been changed and the
distributor and it still won't start.There cant be much left to change.

I replaced the computer and it cured my issue. PM sent. Hope it helped.

I had a 88 pickup with the same engine. My son has it now. They do have O2 sensor on them. You ahve probably fouled the plugs running without it. The sensor is tucked up under the drivers side manifold if I remember right. Hard to see.

I also had problems with a ballast that was inside the distributor. It would ground out when you hit a bump and then it got to the point it wouldn't run. You may want to check that. My thoughts.

-
Back