1989 Voyager help wanted!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1989 Chrysler Voyager, one of the last one imported and manufactured in Canada. Next step was that Chrysler built a plant in Austria for the European market.
Anyway the car is in great shape but hastwo problems. First off is that it does not start. What I have found out is that the problem is the fuel pump or the ASR reley. Any FABO member that have some info what to do and which one is the ASR reley?
Next I'm looking for a leftside outside mirror. Mine's are dead!

Thanks FABO

DSC_1686.JPG

DSC_1685.JPG

DSC_1688.JPG

DSC_1689.JPG

DSC_1687.JPG

What are the error codes showing up?
You should be able to just turn the key to "ON" without starting and hear the fuel pump try to run. If you can't hear while in vehicle have someone help as you listen at the filler tube.
Went through 3 fuel pump replacements between two owners (requires draining/pulling down the tank) before finding the lead running to the fuel pump on our '88 had corroded internally. I don't know that it was a common problem with these.

I had an 88 K, with a 2.2 engine, car and the big problem was the module in the distributor. Check for spark and see if that module is working. I went through two of them and they were about $50.00 each. The fault codes can be read by turning key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds and then count the light flashes. Have paper and pen to write the codes down. I have Chilton book that describes the fault codes. All the codes are two numbers so count first flash, slight hesitation for second flash and so on. Good luck.

Both are solid things to look for.
Listen for the fuel pump to energize when you turn the key to the start position. If you hear it, but still no start then tap on the distributor.
It doesn't always work, but sometimes the cam sensor will come back and allow the car to start.
If it does work, don't count on it lasting long, it'll let you down again soon.

I think you mean auto shut down ( ASD ) relay. It's one of the two in your pic with silver tops. I can't remember which one it is but I think the relays are identical. I have a foggy memory of swapping them to test if one was bad.
As someone mentioned the electronic pickup in the distributor caused problems & without this the ecu doesn't know the engine is spinning.

I had an 88 2.2 that would not start. It turned out to be a broken timing belt. They are not too hard to replace. Take the distributor cap of and crank the engine. If the engine cranks but the rotor does not turn, you have a bad timing belt.

These litter wrecking yards around here. most have like 200K+ miles on them. Owners drive them until the wheels fall off. I had the same 6G72 3.0 V6 in my Diamante. Friggin $750 distributor harness was the culprit. Died on my 2 times on the way to work, 2 days out of work. I got it to start one more time and drove it right to a dealership and traded it in on the spot. I took the guys trade in offer and told me to come back tomorrow but I insisted on parking it in the back and walking home as I didnt know if it was going to start again......

I think the pump wont run after 5 seconds if it doesnt get a CPS signal.

I checked today and there is spark from the distributor. However no sound from the fuel pump. Thru your answer and Google it might be ASD relay or the fuel pump. But since the spark is good means that the ASD relay is working. Otherwise there would be no spark. I found a 1000 mile used fuelpump for usd 90 here in Sweden so hopefully that will do it. For safety reason I ordered a ASD relay for another usd 35 just in case. I want this sucker to move!!

-
Back