1st time at track next Wednesday - need advice

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I finally fixed my vibration and am heading to Brainerd International Raceway this Wednesday for Wednesday Night Drags. I have never raced on a track before. I need tips, advice, warnings ..... anything I can get. I am trying on some drag slicks that my brother has this weekend. They may or may not fit. They are 28 X 9 but are on wheels from a 67 Fish that he says has a weird offset. If they don't fit I am running my normal P295/50R15 BFG Radial TA's. I have a 408 stroker at 500hp, 200R4, Dana 60 with 4.10, Caltracs, Calvert Racing Adjustable rear shocks, 90/10 front shocks, and line locks.

I need all kinds of advice. Prep, launch, etc... HELP!

I can give you some racing advice, but i really hope the slicks fit? You'll need them vs the T/A's, that in my experience, don't hook worth a crap. I have a feeling what he means with the funky offset from that type car is the're on the negative side and may be a little tight on the inside.....meaning wheelwells or spring interference?

That's what he said. I am going over this weekend to try them on. I don't have any extra wheels, so I may be screwed. I do have a new set of P255/60R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials, but they are so much smaller I don't know if I want to use them. Either way I still have no wheels to put them on.

Walk to the starting line and watch for a while, behind the starting line. Look at the way the track staff motions racers to pull into the water box, the signal to start your burnout (if you're unsure just wait for the other guy to start), and the way the starter motions cars to enter the timing lights (you may be motioned to wait for the previous cars to exit the track). Make sure to make note of where the timing lights are. I think just about everyone has driven past them on accident, but if you do, make sure you back all the way out and start over (this is a rule to make sure you're in a forward gear).

I would suggest not even trying to run hard your first time out. Just go through the motions to see what the whole process is like, then go from there as you feel comfortable.

Take a helmet as a minimum. Unless you have some painfully obvious safety issues, tech shouldn't be a problem. At a test n tune, tech usually consists of you handing the tech guy your filled out card and him going "ok" and waiving you on. Other than that, wear appropriate clothes (long pants, closed toe shoes, and a t shirt is fine). Unless you go faster than 11.50 you probably won't even get a second look.

Most importantly: Have fun!!! That's the whole point, right?

I know your car is fast. If you end up with the T/A's, just walk it out of the hole while feathering the throttle, and get the best times you can get. You can try and brake torque it some, but i have a feeling tire smoke wont be far behind...:D.

Being the first time out, and if you are stuck with the street tires, i wouldn't worry about the 60's, i'd just focus on getting it down the track with the least amount of wheelspin as possible, and worry about the mph as that will show you the potential when you get some real bite. Don't forget, that quick first gear on the 200R4 will really put a hit on those tires early.

Get there early to go thru tech. You need catch can for coolant over flow. If you run slicks I think going to need driveshaft loop. Need fire extinguisher secured in car. May need helmet, no flip flops. Have fun.

The 2004r doesn't have the steep first gear like the 700r4, it's more like a low gear ratio 904 (2.74, 1.57, 1.00, .67). That's one of thr main reasons I also went with a 2004r.

Maybe call the track and ask what you need and if they apply NHRA standards.

If they do, write 12.20 on your tech card for et.

If you pull an OOPPPS and go faster... oh well. LOL

Walk to the starting line and watch for a while, behind the starting line. Look at the way the track staff motions racers to pull into the water box, the signal to start your burnout (if you're unsure just wait for the other guy to start), and the way the starter motions cars to enter the timing lights (you may be motioned to wait for the previous cars to exit the track). Make sure to make note of where the timing lights are. I think just about everyone has driven past them on accident, but if you do, make sure you back all the way out and start over (this is a rule to make sure you're in a forward gear).

I would suggest not even trying to run hard your first time out. Just go through the motions to see what the whole process is like, then go from there as you feel comfortable.

Take a helmet as a minimum. Unless you have some painfully obvious safety issues, tech shouldn't be a problem. At a test n tune, tech usually consists of you handing the tech guy your filled out card and him going "ok" and waiving you on. Other than that, wear appropriate clothes (long pants, closed toe shoes, and a t shirt is fine). Unless you go faster than 11.50 you probably won't even get a second look.

Most importantly: Have fun!!! That's the whole point, right?

All the advice is good here but the blue highlighted above! I SURE WISH SOME ON HAD GIVEN ME THAT ADVICE BEFORE MY FIRST RUN DOWN THE TRACK!!!!!!

If your car is making 500hp, with slicks here are some of the basic things you will need before you go (not a complete list).

Helmet
Pants (no shorts)
closed toe shoes
Drive shaft loop
3 inch wheel studs
aftermarket axles
battery hold down
If the battery is in the trunk, a cut off switch is mandatory.
Double springs on the carb
Neutral safety switch
Locking dip stick

If your car goes under 11.5 (which if it really is making 500hp, it should) you also need:

Fire resistent SFI approved jacket
Rollbar

This is just a few of the things that you will need to before you go (NOT all). Get an NHRA rule book and take a look for a complete list.....isn't racing fun!?!?

What tthey all said... I'd leave the slicks at home - you'll have more to worry about than all the extra safety stuff they'll be looking for if you arrive with them. A tech guy who sees a well built car with slicks and a Dana will know there's something there. Take it slow - I routinely take a "light lap" when I go - I don't go that often these days but even when i was there fairly regularly I'd take an easy first run to get back in the swing of things. Watch the track guys. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. Make sure the window is up all the way and if you have one the visor is down. Note where the staging lights are - they are not near the tree. The ET is the last thing you need to worry about. Worse comes to worse - tell everyone that asks that you didn't run slicks and it spun...lol.

If your car is making 500hp, with slicks here are some of the basic things you will need before you go (not a complete list).

Helmet
Pants (no shorts)
closed toe shoes
Drive shaft loop
3 inch wheel studs
aftermarket axles
battery hold down
If the battery is in the trunk, a cut off switch is mandatory.
Double springs on the carb
Neutral safety switch
Locking dip stick

If your car goes under 11.5 (which if it really is making 500hp, it should) you also need:

Fire resistent SFI approved jacket
Rollbar

This is just a few of the things that you will need to before you go (NOT all). Get an NHRA rule book and take a look for a complete list.....isn't racing fun!?!?

Wednesday night drags needs little to none of that. A street legal car, a valid driver's license and a helmet. If you break 11.49 you need more safety items. I am looking for useful advice on how to line up, how to time the lights, how to take off, should I adjust the Caltracs, shocks set firm or soft, all that kind of stuff. I am a total newbie at this. I street race all the time, never at a track. Here is the link for the races. http://brainerdraceway.com/wednesday-night-drags/

...and as a total newbie - you gots to get the basics down first and that has nothing to do with setup. I wouldn't plan to set anything. Get a routine down when you're waived into the burnout box. Be ready when the lights come down. The rest is feel and experience - which you don't have yet. Every car I've run has had a different time you had to nail it to get the lights right. So will yours. It's MUCH different from street racing and easier to look like an idiot in front of the other racers...lol. So concentrate on you, not the car. The next time you can concentrate on the car.

all good advice,but even wed nites you need the saftey equipment.the overflo,the dual return springs,the loop if your running slicks.use the et streets even smaller they will hook better then the biggest t/a radials.leave on the last yellow....

on your 1st pass....just stage and easily drive the car down the track....

Im excited for you !! There is nothing like taking your first pass, adrenaline rush to the max, knees shaking, and maybe even a sweat going . Take your time dont rush any thing enjoy this moment . What I will tell you is that you will be hooked and want to do it over an over . Yes like they said those TAs wont hook, if you do run them stay out of the water box

I finally fixed my vibration and am heading to Brainerd International Raceway this Wednesday for Wednesday Night Drags. I have never raced on a track before. I need tips, advice, warnings ..... anything I can get. I am trying on some drag slicks that my brother has this weekend. They may or may not fit. They are 28 X 9 but are on wheels from a 67 Fish that he says has a weird offset. If they don't fit I am running my normal P295/50R15 BFG Radial TA's. I have a 408 stroker at 500hp, 200R4, Dana 60 with 4.10, Caltracs, Calvert Racing Adjustable rear shocks, 90/10 front shocks, and line locks.

I need all kinds of advice. Prep, launch, etc... HELP!

Like a few others have said go around the water box. The track crew should back you up so you can do a burn out to heat up the tires. try even lowering down the tire pressure some also if running the BFG T/A tires. Our local track almost did not let me run my Dart cause I was running radiator fluid instead of water in the radiator. My car is nothing fancing at all. Small block 360/727 trans 8 3/4 3:55 gear. I run the BFG T/A's 255/60-15. Like others have said they don't hook up good at all. Lowering the pressure help alittle my best pass was a 13.16 at 105. Good luck and have fun.

For the lights, proper etiquete is to stage and lite first stage lite then wait for other car to lite 1st if he's not already in. Then roll in gently to lite 2nd lite. Don't go too far in, stop when 2nd yellow is on solid. If it flickers you could get red lite by accident. Some timing lite sets are finicky that way. Watch 3rd yellow, when it comes on release brake and go. Depends on traction as how hard. I foot brake and hold rpm about 2000 when fully staged. For me when 3rd yellow lite comes on I punch it. Then my reaction time has been about .030 to .060. When you get used to it then vary staging depth or how hard you leave. The track I go to also wants 6" or less of rubber fuel line. Either use solid tubing or braided steel line.

There is not much tech. This is not a sanctioned event. You need a street legal car, a valid driver's license and a helmet.

Are the tires cheater slicks? You have to have DOT approved tires for the weds night street drags at BIR, no full slicks allowed, I run my drag radials and they are slick, heat them babies up nce and hot! Good luck :D

If you do end up having to use the BFG's you will probably find out why I used to call them BF Greasers....

I am looking for useful advice on how to line up I'm sure you've seen racing on tv, it's the same. Light the top bulb, wait for the other guy to light his top bulb (courtesy staging), then light the bottom bulb. The second bulb doesn't matter if you go in first or second, but if the other guy lights his second bulb first you have 7 seconds to light yours or get an automatic redlight. If the other guy doesn't courtesy stage and lights both bulbs when haven't lit any, you can wait as long as you need, but as soon as 3 bulbs are lit you will be on the timer. Also, the distance between the prestage and stage lights is roughly 6-8"..

how to time the lights(When the lights start to come down, don't pay any attention to the 1st two. Stare at the 3rd light, look deep inside of it and block out everything else. When you see that light come on, GO! It's hard to block everything out and not anticipate the light, but if you can react to it like a streetrace flashlight you should be able to turn good lights.),

how to take off (Just like in a street race at first. You may notice you'll be able to leave a little harder due to track prep, but start with what you know and work from there. I would still make the first pass a light one. Leave at idle, short shift, etc to get a feel for the track. Stay in the groove, that's where all the traction is.),

should I adjust the Caltracs, shocks set firm or soft, all that kind of stuff(Nope, not at first anyway. Leave it the way it is so you have data to work with.).

:thumblef:

I'll throw one more thought out that i know will not be popular with you. I realize that you live in the "great white north" and track time is at a premium, but have you considered taking out one of your daily drivers to just get a feel for how everything works at the track?

I know your not a kid and can handle a car that has the capabilities of your Dart, but as the majority of us here started our track experience with a milder car, i'm just throwing a alternative out there. A lot of people ran there parents car as there first passes. I myself made my first passes in a friends mid 19sec 4spd Vega at 15yrs old.

I guess what i'm trying to convey is, don't worry about taking the beast out for your first experience and setting the world on fire.

I guess I sound like a parent...lol. I'm sure you'll be fine with your first outing. Just don't get disappointed with the results.

Bottom line......Be safe and have fun!

-
Back