2 cylinders not firing - head off - help!

-

Serj22

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to get my 225 running again - well, it does run, but on 4 cylinders. I was done fooling around with it and trying to make it run, which was poorly. I believe I bought the car running on 5 cylinders and it's been that way for about 6k miles... I know. I bvelieved it to be a miss at idle, and I think all that it was was that when the car was at a higher RPM, the misfire was un-noticable. It was however - very noticable at idle. The whole car rocked.

Anyway, did a compression test, and if cylinder 1 is closest to the grill, it was this:

1. 130ish
2. 130ish
3. 60-70
4. 120ish
5. 20-25
6. 130ish

I asked a few people, and they suggested a valve seat came out, or the valves burned on those two cylinders. I pulled the valve cover off, undid the manifolds and alternator etc... and pulled the head (all within an hour. Love it)

I flipped the head over and set it on the fender. The head looks like it's been recently resurfaced, and the gasket is perfectly in tact. I lifted all the pushrods out before this, and had 12, but did not realize one of them was only half a rod, and broken.

The other side of the rod was down in the space above the lifters, and the lifter was pushed 3/4 of the way out of the hole. The lifter in question was on cylinder 4 closest to the firewall - not sure if that's intake or exhaust, but cylinder 4 fired, and the two on either side did not...

I turned the crank and felt the inside of each cylinder. They have not been honed recently as far as I can tell - no visible cross-hatching but the head looks completely rebuilt and newer.

My dad then sprayed WD40 into each cylinder top and filled the space with it, and in none of them did a single bit of WD40 leak through the valves. The valves also do not look bad, and I'm guessing are seated appropriately.

Could this be a problem with the rocker arm assembly? Or what? My dad suggested replacing the rod, and buying a new gasket set, then reassembling. I do not really want to put it back together though if the problem is not fixed. I do not see how a broken arm on 4, caused 3 and 5 to not have compression. Is there something I'm not seeing? If you need pictures I can take them. It's staying unassembled till I can get a rod and a gasket set. Maybe someone here has them? Cylinder 2 had some metallic bits on the top of piston and in the cylinder head - but was operational.

Have him fill the valve area's as well to see if the WD40 leaks past the valve's. It's possible that you could have a bad valve to seat seal or a bent valve causing the leak, or a stuck valve. You could also get some valve grinding compound and hand lap the valve's to see if they are seating properly. Also clean the head surface really good and use a straight edge to check it. Just a couple of thoughts.

Have him fill the valve area's as well to see if the WD40 leaks past the valve's. It's possible that you could have a bad valve to seat seal or a bent valve causing the leak, or a stuck valve. You could also get some valve grinding compound and hand lap the valve's to see if they are seating properly. Also clean the head surface really good and use a straight edge to check it. Just a couple of thoughts.

How would I tell if it's bent or stuck? I ran out of daylight. I'm guessing I am able to push them forward by hand?

-
Back