2 parts stuck and need solutions. pronto

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I have not a damn clue on how to remove either of these.

The very first lifter on the drivers side. How do I get this one out? I got the rest out by hand.

How do I remove the dizzy/oil pump drive? I was told it pulls right out but it hardly seems like it

The dizzy shaft gear, take a big flat tip screw driver , stick it in the slot and turn it, it should pull up and you can get it out, worked for me

how do I make sure this thing goes in right when I put it back so my spark timing isn't all super wacked out

I use a large screw driver & turn it enough that it comes up some then take speaker wire,make a loop & pass it over the gear,then twist it with the screw driver while pulling up on the wire. They can be stubborn sometimes & there is very little clearance between the hole & gear & the thin is the key. A piece of string may work too

when you drop it back in you can just turn it with the same screw driver until you find the desired position for your distributor

Lifter, turn the motor until the cam lifts it up.
Hold the lifter with pliars, and let the cam back down.
You should be able to push it up with a bent piece of metal.

The distributor drive, I am pretty sure you turn it counter clock wise to get it come out with a screwdriver.

I forgot to mention the timing chain just got removed today along with the gears.
and the camshaft is about to be removed

That makes it easy,
Twist the cam and push the lifter out of the way, you can remove it later.
Stick a bolt in the end of the cam, push it lightly back and forth.
The distributor drive should twist right out.

That makes it easy,
Twist the cam and push the lifter out of the way, you can remove it later.
Stick a bolt in the end of the cam, push it lightly back and forth.
The distributor drive should twist right out.

how do I just twist it. it seems hesitant to even turn. I think I am gonna pull the distributor gear first.

I never had luck with the screwdriver trick. Found something like this laying around the garage.

bone_hook_02_1.jpg

got it under there and yanked up till it came out.

For the lifter find a strong magnet to stick onto it and yank it out.

SirDan,we used to make these from Chebby vent handles.We would cut the thin steel cable about 6 inches down,then bend the ends about 1/4 inch.We called them DoFor,s cause they would do for anything,mostly getting clips behind Chebby window crank handles.:D

You should be able to get a decent magnet in there to pull the lifter out. If it's being terribly difficult it may have galded itself into a groove.... In that case, all I can offer is a proverbial saying about a certain floating vessel without means to propel it....

would an automate store have a magnet? it seems like I have had to wiggle each one to get it free.

take the lifter apart the little spring retainer out and pull the guts of it out then using a hook attachment on a slide hammer put the hook part on the groove that the spring retainer locks in and tap it acouple times then rotate it 180 and tap the other side just alternate the position of the hook so it doesnt bind the lifter in the hole

how would I do that/get that Terry?

and how would I turn my camshaft over? the gear is off it. any ideas on this one? no one really elaborated much on this

Just put the gear back on it......not hard, loosly install the three bolts....i dunno what else you want here

as for turning the camsaft without the gear on it get 2 long bolts that are the same size thread and use a pry bar or large screwdriver to rotate the cam

Just put the gear back on it......not hard, loosly install the three bolts....i dunno what else you want here

what three bolts? the thrust plate? and Im just wondering how to do this without hurting anything. it seems to kind of resist

whoops my bad only one bolt put a bolt in there and turn it with a socket and ratchet just turn it the way it would normaly rotate

-
Back