2 resistors and other issues 1970 duster.

-

Toqwik

Reaction score
I bought this car from a self proclaimed audiophile and there is stereo wiring everywhere I need to remove. That said, there are 2 resistors wired up under the hood. Do I need them both? There is a white plug in the picture, what is that for? The shiny thing in the picture is the ignition box mounted to the firewall. Red power wires everywhere not hooked up that I need to trace and remove. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have not tried to start it since I bought the car because I worry about all the open power wires. Thanks for your reply.

Get a manual from \\myMopar.net\ It sounds like the factory ballast.

9296D725-554A-46D9-AEDC-91F2164A4E69.jpeg

0E10FDA1-BD08-4E43-9E27-EE7DA0F11D97.jpeg

I did not see a second resistor unless it is hiding behind the big harness. Needless to say a re-wire would be my first order of business as the PO left you a mess! This is not how things should be done! Sorry! Good thing is it can always be fixed and correctly!

One on the right in pic is your ignition resistor, the one on the wiper motor is for low speed wiper operation. Both stay. Carefully look it all over. Remove everything that doesnt look to be stock wiring. Get the trash can ready. I have done this before plenty of times myself. The worst, I damn near filled a trash can full of wiring from an old pickup I bought. Didnt know you could put that much hokey **** in one vehicle.

Last edited:
Looks there was a sale on red 10 gauge wire. :lol:

From what little bit of wiring I have looked at it seems ok, just lots of red wires running everywhere. What is this 6 pin white connector for?

image.jpg

The white connector looks aftermarket to me. part of stereo/ security/ other?? That is a MESS No way to guess what's it all for.

Really, all you can do is unhook the battery ground, and "pull at" "and shake" it all and figure out one end to the other, and carefully remove what is not active.

No way to know. It is not factory wiring. We, here, without our crystal balls, have no idea what that is where it comes from or where it goes. As I said earlier-----------disconnect battery while you are fooling with it. This stuff can be just like an extension cord plugged into the wall........the other end might not be connected, but the cord might still be energized.

Aftermarket white connector could be and old unused alarm system.
The blue and white isn't factory either, but you'll have to follow the wires and see where it goes.

0DF13604-EF44-4CDB-8C1D-6F8303967462.jpeg
I bought this car from a self proclaimed audiophile and there is stereo wiring everywhere I need to remove. That said, there are 2 resistors wired up under the hood. Do I need them both? There is a white plug in the picture, what is that for? The shiny thing in the picture is the ignition box mounted to the firewall. Red power wires everywhere not hooked up that I need to trace and remove. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have not tried to start it since I bought the car because I worry about all the open power wires. Thanks for your reply.
I run a similar ignition (Mallory coil and distributor) and run the stock resistor and the recommended resistor. I can verify this afternoon, but I believe they are 1.4 and .8 ohms.

Get a 1970 Plymouth Service Manual.
The pdf scans here will get you started in most cases. If no Plymouth there, Dodge will be close.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
Bishko is a place you can buy one.

Go to the back of the electrical section and you will find the wiring diagrams.

Many TSBs can be found in the The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1970 - 1974)
Those have have updates and corrections.

And lots of Chrysler Tech tips here
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
Including a several about wiring diagrams and power, ignition and accessory circuits.

Color coding:
Both Black and Red was used for the main circuits and many feeds.
Generally Chrysler had a consistant use of wire colors but there were changes over time.

Main Circuit:
The main circuit consists of two power sources, and a feed from each that join under the dash at a main splice. Power from main splice is distributed to the fuse box, key switch, and headlight switch. These wires are always hot when the battery is connected. There was a fusible link to provide a bit of protection from accidental grounding of the battery.
upload_2020-2-28_9-0-40.png

Power for the horns may be from a different location in '70. Also will be hot at all times.

When people add stereos and other electical devices, they often tap into the main circuit.
Also may have tapped into the Run circuit???? :(

Original ignition and charging circuits for 70-71 would be something like this
upload_2020-2-28_9-6-50.png

Any wire coming through a hole is probably a modification.
upload_2020-2-28_9-14-29.png

Chrysler used very few grommets for wire feeds in 70. Sometimes a tach, later for A/C and for fleet and 60 amp wiring with rear defroster.

IMHO I would order an OEM (not a "Universal" ) engine compartment wiring harness from one of the reputable sellers out there. and rewire the engine compartment.

the heavy red wires look like they were attached to something along with the white connector. I would assume one or both to be hot unless you have checked them to ground.

I would ditch anything that is not stock and start from there. If you must use an aftermarket coil or distributor install after you have cleaned up the mess.

I thought about ordering a harness but after looking at it none of it is hacked. Just lots of red wires running everywhere. He even has 2 big lights mounted in the trunk and wires in. Look like fog lights from the 80’s. He also took out the trunk rods for big speakers and added late model shocks to hold the trunk up. I need a diagram and start ripping out wires.

-
Back