2 Separate Blowouts on RV Yesterday. Learned Important Lesson on Tires

-
My neighbor gets his Class C RV out once every 2 years. I guess he needs new tires every 3rd trip. Why don't they make semi solid tires that will last 20 years? These tires have 80 psi in them anyway. It wont make them any harder? I got an idea...how about just renting them for an RV that never gets out?
Wheels | Rent A Wheel | Rent A Tire

What happens to race tires as they age ? The rubber gets hard. Hard means less flexibility, and less traction. Rubber ages and hardens. A tire is not round when under load. As it rolls it changes from flat in the contact area to round and distorts with rpm. This flexing causes heat to build up in the tire. The faster you go, the more heat the tire generates. Heat is what destroys rubber, oil, fluids etc... heat is almost always the enemy of endurance.
Instead of telling stories of what you got away with, for everyone's safety, replace them at least every 5-6 years.
Weather is also a factor. Hot climates are harder on tires than cooler climates.
Check your air pressure on a regular basis. And inspect you tires on the insides as well as the outside.

Last edited:
Only catch to this is that the weight rating is reduced to 80% of listed. So if the tire says 2000# at 50psi, when on a trailer it would be 1600#

It might be 75%, I can't recall the hard number, 75-80 rings a bell.
Can you explain, please? I don't understand why the weight rating would change

"Tires need to run."

Supposedly tires literally need exercise, but sitting around, they deteriorate much quicker. As the story goes, the constant flexing of the material keeps the oils activated throughout the tire and it lasts longer.

I'm no tire expert, but that's the way I heard it, and I'm sticking to it.

so here is a thought, on my wifes car i got 2 sets of rims...winter and summer tires
about 4 month out of the year the winter tires are on the car, and the other 8 they are sitting under the lean too, or in the shed, depending on where i am when i switch em

do you think them sitting for that long would be bad for them too, or are we talking longer term then that?

replace them at least every 5-6 years.

My wife was actually the first to mention it but I only looked it up after the guy from work cautioned me. I had only done short jaunts to the water and back all those years. 2300 miles on a single axle, much above 100*, on 20 year old rubber is a whole bag of puckered buttholes!

Good part is you were able to get tires and get home. My Brother has been stranded now for a week and may have to leave his diesel pusher 1000 miles from home and fly back. Some weird Michelin 22.5" tire that there has been none in stock for over a year.

Been the done that on a pull trailer. Even though The class C I bought , the tires looked good. Paid him, drove immediately to the tire store and had 6 new tires.

Inner rears are always the first to go. They are right in line with the fronts so if the front tire kicks up a nail or piece of metal right under the inner rear it goes.

Frequently not...the steer tires are often in line with the OUTSIDE drive tire on a truck.

The inner rears also carry a little bigger load and they often don't get regular air pressure checks or inspection because of where they are located. In 28 years on the tool truck I went through a lot of 8R-19.5's.

Many of the old 8R19'5s were installed on trucks (and buses, and motorhomes) too heavy for them. That did not help.

I see people hammer down with motor homes and trailers if all kinds later on the side of the road.Most of the tires are speed rated to 70mph besides the dates

75, usually-the Bridgestones at work are all rated for that. Some are rated faster. (M=81MPH, N=87MPH.)

Do not buy Chinese trailer tires. They're not called China bombs for nothing.

Sometimes, there is no alternative.

And I believe they are still made in the USA too.

Some are, many are from China.

I’ve been fighting crappy trailer tires for the past several years. No matter the brand it seems the quality is not there. Switching to light truck tires. Everyone I’ve talked with made who’ve made that change said good things about running LT tires on a trailer.

Just watch the weight ratings. Some trailer tires are rated for considerably more weight than the same-size LT.

Good part is you were able to get tires and get home. My Brother has been stranded now for a week and may have to leave his diesel pusher 1000 miles from home and fly back. Some weird Michelin 22.5" tire that there has been none in stock for over a year.

He might not be stuck: Michelin's weird 275/80R22.5 is a 295/75R22.5 to the rest of the industry. They're the same size despite the numbers-they can be used side by side on duals, and are actually recapped in the same mold. Michelin has weird "proprietary" 22.5" sizes, the rest of the industry makes the same size with a different number.

For 22.5" wheels...
275/80=295/75
255/80=265/75
235/80=245/75
365/75=385/65

Michelin's 275/80R24.5 is a 285/75R324.5 t6 the rest 6f the 5nd4stry.

Thanks @Jarlaxle! Place he's at just found 2 x Toyo 245/75 x 22.5 to put on the front and they're putting the old fronts on the compromised dual to hopefully get them home. Hope he's smart enough to load the old Michelin remaining on board as well... just in case. Told they MAY have 4 more tires coming at home in October to replace the duallies.

It had 235/80's on it... so the 245/75 is the right fit... also the only pair to be found currently.

Aren't trailers pulled by definition? I've never seen one that was pushed.:poke:

You never take a cold ice tea down to the boat launch and watch the show?
It's a blast seeing people push their trailers in all sorts of directions

so here is a thought, on my wifes car i got 2 sets of rims...winter and summer tires
about 4 month out of the year the winter tires are on the car, and the other 8 they are sitting under the lean too, or in the shed, depending on where i am when i switch em

do you think them sitting for that long would be bad for them too, or are we talking longer term then that?

Again, I am no tire expert, but don't think I would worry about that. When I worked at a dealership in the early 2,000's, we stored customers winter/summer tires when they swapped them out. I do remember we put them in "tire bags." Just big plastic bags. Garbage bags would work if you so chose. (Not sure why)

My chopper was in need of a new tire. 250/40-18. Called a shop some racer friends use. He called his warehouse. Took them a couple of days to find the only one in their inventory. What your brother is going thru is believable..at least to me.

You never take a cold ice tea down to the boat launch and watch the show?
It's a blast seeing people push their trailers in all sorts of directions
I used to put on the show at the ramp. Everybody gathered to see the little 318 Challenger pull the 19' cruiser out with nary a wheelspin.
Ever seen a trailer being pushed down the road?

Trailer tires ARE completely different than passenger car tires. I researched and found Carlisle brand tires are CHINESE so I bought Goodyears MADE IN USA. Price was right in-line with the Carlisle brand. So far so good.

Sorry,

I have had bad luck with the GY's I worked for them previously and always praised them.

The last 2 RV's, 5ver and Coach had them. The 5ver lost four on one trip. The Coach lost 1 and lucky on it as I was stopped when it blew!

All of these had made in China on them.

Since when have they pulled out the production from China?

Last edited:
My chopper was in need of a new tire. 250/40-18. Called a shop some racer friends use. He called his warehouse. Took them a couple of days to find the only one in their inventory. What your brother is going thru is believable..at least to me.

250 width? I have to ask...how do you TURN?!

-
Back