2 slant questions

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I'm planning a motor swap due to an almost seized bearing, the new motor is a 64 going into a 67 dart- Any problems between these two years. All ive seen so far are a couple extra water holes that need plugs. Second is there a special tool or a trick to removing the TC bolts. Not much room on top. Thanks for any help.

extra water holes? dunno about that. the torque converter bolts are easy to get from underneath when you pull the inspection cover on the tranny.

The snout on the torque converter is different size from 64 to 67...

Thanks Rusty I forgot about underneath. That should help a lot. There are 3 holes around the temp sending unit area, the 67 only has the 1. I will be using the flex plate from the 67 will I still have issues mating to the trans?

you might have issues with the convertor , if your 67 is the newer larger snout. Hopefully not but that is what i would check first. (67 is a changeover year) Lawrence

this is based on stock info-- no telling what has been changed in these cars.

as for tc bolts never heard of removing from top--- remove the sheetmetal cover & loosen them up from the bottom.

The later torque converter snout should be a tad smaller than the 1.810" diameter used for the later crank register hole. So just measure that TC snout diameter when you get it out. The '64 crank register hole and TC snout diameters will be considerably smaller. As said, late '67 was the changeover time, so it can be either on your particular '67; it just depends on when it was built, so you'll have to measure the snout diameter.

If you have the larger, later TC snout diameter, then you'll have to change the TC. That seems easier to me than modifying the '64 crank for a larger register hole.

As for the TC bolts, you can access them with the starter out on the /6. Use a deep well socket, put it on a TC bolt head through the starter hole, and let the crank rotate until the socket fetches up against the block casting; then you can put a lot more torque on the bolts with the socket itself holding the crank from rotating.

Odds are that your 67 will have the same smaller nose on TC at crank end. The TC bolt pattern isn't symmetric so reference mark before you separate. Factory marks are there but tiny and difficult to see.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice my GT is a early early 67 the turning signal bulbs in the cluster had tape over them and my remote mirror is not remote hopefully everything lines up will find out today

Odds are that your 67 will have the same smaller nose on TC at crank end. The TC bolt pattern isn't symmetric so reference mark before you separate. Factory marks are there but tiny and difficult to see.

^^^^ Yep, Also barbee has the swap going the wrong way, you can't "adapt" an older
crank to a newer TC. You have to swap an older converter AND front pump assy. into your
trans to make it happen or an older column shift trans. But you're probably fine......:coffee2:

But still measure in case the odds don't work out..... you don't want to ruin the trans by trying (unsuccessfully) to shove the large snout into the small register hole. The front pump has to change too...???

The front pump has to change too...???

Maybe not, a tranny guy should know, I may be including the input shaft change from
19 to 27 spline(26 w/lock-up). That would be much later('72 i think)so he might be able to
just swap TC's, since he stated early early... prob. a non-issue for him anyhow..
We have a couple members pulling '67's apart, Dizzydean among them,but I'm trying to get
late production '67 model SO dates off of some of these, and to verify the OE hub size to nail
down exactly when the larger hub pops up in production.

As per A&A trans and others, the input shaft and stator supports changed for '68, listed
as parts for either '60-'67,or '68-'77. So yes, the frt pump assy.and input may all have to be
changed. The wider frt. clutch support bushing(I believe) was the change/improvement made
in '71 and for all '72& up trannys. IIRC, that story is on allpar, worth the read there.

OK, well I just don't know one way or 'tother, so that is why I asked. Makes me wonder if it would be easier to turn down the front snout on a the later-than-'67 converter. Seems like you could chuck the pump end of the TC into a lathe and go to town turning down the snout to fit the smaller crank register. (Or even a drill press....boy, THAT would be a big chuck LOL.)

Finally got the greasy beast out and after lots of scraping and cleaning (plus grinding off exhaust bolt) I got to the block date. Its dated 10 of 66. put the flex plate on and measured the hole. No issues there. Thanks for everyones help.

-
Back