2003 Dodge Neon rough running help!

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, my son Garretts girlfriend Ashley just bought a 2003 Dodge Neon. It was bought certified about a month ago, but she is having some issues with it.
1. Intermittent hard start
2. Engine shakes when started
3.When coming to a stop the transmission doesnt seem to down shift properly(hard shift??)

The following "repairs" were done to it today and I as of yet have to verify it....
Scan test $45
Replaced cam sensor and spark plugs, once repairs were done today it seemed fine at first, but after about an hour of driving, some of the issues are still there...Im not familiar with this new of a vehicle, what about Idle Air Control?? Any input is appreciated, I think she got a good deal on the car $2500 certified and its a cute little car with 173 kms

Thanks
4spdragtop

Sounds like it is over due for a timing belt. Are there any trouble codes present?

Thanks J5, I havent checked for any codes yet. I just googled and found a link to dodgeforum and it says to turn the key off and on 3 times to get the codes??

Yes and on the engine shake it could be a leaky head gasket or motor mount is wore out.

Thanks J5, I havent checked for any codes yet. I just googled and found a link to dodgeforum and it says to turn the key off and on 3 times to get the codes??

you can turn the key on and off 5 times ending in the on position, but its easier if you plan on having any 1996+ cars for any period of time to go to canadian tire and pick up a code reader much simplier

first thing I would check is spark plug wires to make sure they aren't dripping in oil, since the 2.0 L engine is a hemispherical engine they have spark plug tubes like a hemi that seal to the valve cover and the seals often go hard over time

another thing to check is the intake tube running from the air box to intake, neon's and any 2.0 or 2.4 engine have the throttle body mounted away from the intake on the air box and the tube connects the intake to the throttle body they started this in 2000. if the tube has been off there is a possiblity that its not back on properly, I always use a little wd40 to help it slip on better

I think she will like the milage that comes with a neon and the prices are cheap for parts compared to most other newer FWD cars

If the cam sensor you replaced wasn't OEM from Dodge send it back and buy one from the dealer. Not much price difference and you know you're getting a good one. I had one bite me before that was doing the same thing. There's also the pickup magnet on the end of the camshaft that the sensor picks up. I've only ever seen one bad, but there is allot of talk online about them having issues. You should have codes if either of those are your problem though.
-Jon

I bought one of the code readers last week on sale at Canadian Tire, you are welcome to borrow it anytime if we can arrange delivery. They are a must if you want to work on the newer cars as I have a Neon beater I drive in the winter.

I bought one of the code readers last week on sale at Canadian Tire, you are welcome to borrow it anytime if we can arrange delivery. They are a must if you want to work on the newer cars as I have a Neon beater I drive in the winter.

Thanks for the offer!! I might just be in touch, the car itself apparently has its own car reader, so whenever I get a chance Im going to try to pull the codes from it.

Thanks
Steve

i dont know if these things have fuel injectors but i know when one goes bad they cause the symptoms you describe.

my 04 srt would shake at idle and start hard when the intake gasket was leaking..just another item to check.

I'm pretty experienced with neons 1st gen, I've had 3. Mine also shudders and misses a tad when cold for a minute or two. More in the cold. I changed my timing belt at about 200,000 and it looked brand new. I would change the plug wires, o2 sensor and run a bunch of injector cleaner in the next few tanks should help. I always buy stick neons, faster, better mileage and reliability.

-
Back