2005 srt4

-

whitey66

Josh Amspacher
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 4cylinder back and forth to work car for my wife and myself. Right now i've got a 87 745 volvo with 350k miles and she drives a 80 245 volvo with 300k+ unknown miles. The rest of the fleet is all mopar.We love our misfit volvo's but it would be nice to have something that doesn't need as much mechanical attention. I've never had a car payment but i'm thinking of breaking down and buying something slightly less used then the Swedish tanks. She likes the caliber srt But I think I could get her to settle for a neon too. What is the forum's opinion on these 4 banger beater mopars?
thanks for your input fellas
josh

My buddy bought one new in 05 and all in all it's been a good car. And he is not easy on it. Thing go's real good to.

yeah I can't do a cookie cutter car. Even if its a beater it has to be fun and my glh turbo was a blast back in the day.

My buddy bought one new in 05 and all in all it's been a good car. And he is not easy on it. Thing go's real good to.

That's good to hear. Probably real stupid easy to work on too. like a k-car.

SRT4 Calibers are awesome !! So's the Neon,but the Caliber doubles as a family car too !!Not too mention the fun factor too !!

On the srt4s you gotta watch out for 3rd gear. My buddy has one the runs in the 7s and gets 25 plus mpg

hopefully i'll find a unmolested stocker. I had my omni hopped up pretty good and it became more of a project car than a dd real quick. I'm going to try hard not to tinker with this one (at least for awhile).

I would go with the stage kits if you do something to it. The turbo control is really nice depending on what you are doing with it and where you live.

I would go with the stage kits if you do something to it. The turbo control is really nice depending on what you are doing with it and where you live.

I might install a bolt under the throttle so i don't feel the urge to race any mustwangs that need put in there place

If you're willing and able to make monthly payments, why not buy her a new car ?
Year end clearance is the best time to get a steal of a deal on remaining 2011 models of any brand.
I too have a stable full of old nags. There is no doubt I will have some cold weather knuckle busting problem with one or more of those. Then there's my family members and neighbors who need help with theirs.
The peace of mind that comes with my wifes new RAV4 is hard to describe. You would have to experience it yourself. I cant put a price on it, they did, 359 per month.
Just knowing there is one vehicle that I will not have to worry about is worth every penny.

I know it's not an srt-4 but I bought my son a 2002 neon, he gets 45 mpg on the highway, and it has been a great car, no troubles other than normal maintance, He is currently looking for a srt-4 Caliber too, they are not real easy to find around here, the avenger r/t's are real nice too they have the v6 in them that the standard avengers don't. 3.6 v6- 283 hp on the 2011's

I don't have much experence with the srt4's but I buy and sell 2000+ neon's and sx 2.0's all the time there great cars long as you check the K frame and the rocker pannels. they can be had cheap, parts are cheap and easy to fix and most of all very reliable. 40+ MPG is also a bonus

My neighbor has an SRT4 Caliber and that thing is bad.Quick as a **** and his wife drives it most the time.

I know it's not an srt-4 but I bought my son a 2002 neon, he gets 45 mpg on the highway, and it has been a great car, no troubles other than normal maintance, He is currently looking for a srt-4 Caliber too, they are not real easy to find around here, the avenger r/t's are real nice too they have the v6 in them that the standard avengers don't. 3.6 v6- 283 hp on the 2011's

Id almost call BS on that mileage, but I have a '96 2.0 SOHC Breeze which is heavier and an auto which has to be worse than a 5 sp and I can break 29mpg. I drive 50 miles freeway round trip at 65-70 and have never gotten more than 410 on a 13.9G tank. Solid as a rock, no maintenance issues except oil control. Either I leak it or I burn it to a tune of about 1/2 quart/mo. And working on its not a walk in the park. FWD has all the belts and crap going around a motor mount, but the plugs are a 10 minute job. Cant say that for a V6.

hopefully i'll find a unmolested stocker. I had my omni hopped up pretty good and it became more of a project car than a dd real quick. I'm going to try hard not to tinker with this one (at least for awhile).

Good luck on finding one and a stock one. I tried for a year and never found the one I wanted. Everything had been jacked up lol. But my. Buddies is very fast and he loves it.

My son has an 05 SRT4 neon he bought it band new.it has been a very good ride for him never really had any little trouble with it.we even beat the snot out of it at the drag strip.we just change tires and he drives it to work, the only thing is around here they seem to hold a stronger resale value.

The neon srt4 is an awesome car. I have owned two of them myself. Bought a brand new 05 commemorative edition. Sold it due to financial issues a couple years later. Back in 09 I bought another 05 that had been rolled over lightly for $500. Only 50k miles on it. Car ran and drove fine but the roof was crushed on the passenger side pretty good. I then spent about two weeks looking for a 03 to 05 regular neon that could be had cheap. Found an 03 sxt that was in great shape body wise but had about 130k miles on it. Picked it up for $1200. I then put both cars on lifts next to eachother and swapped the entire drivetrain, suspension, abs system and brakes, fuel system, a/c system and all electrical from the dash forward from the srt4 into the sxt. With some help from my friend Tim it was completed in two days. Talk about a sleeper neon! I whooped up on so many people in that car is was incredible. I drove the car for about a year and ended up selling it to fund my 71 swinger build.

Anyways, they really are great cars. But good luck finding one that hasn't been screwed with mechanically or doesn't have a salvage title. They get beat on and wrecked more than my ex wifes hooha lol.

Id almost call BS on that mileage, but I have a '96 2.0 SOHC Breeze which is heavier and an auto which has to be worse than a 5 sp and I can break 29mpg. I drive 50 miles freeway round trip at 65-70 and have never gotten more than 410 on a 13.9G tank. Solid as a rock, no maintenance issues except oil control. Either I leak it or I burn it to a tune of about 1/2 quart/mo. And working on its not a walk in the park. FWD has all the belts and crap going around a motor mount, but the plugs are a 10 minute job. Cant say that for a V6.

actually I can relate to both, I had a 1999 stratus with the 2.4 autmatic and I have a 2000 chysler neon with 2.0 automatic. the neon can actually get around 40 MPG constantly the stratus was lucky to break 30 MPG both are really nice cars but the roof was too low on the stratus for my likings

have a buddy with a 04 SRT4 with stage 3 kit, he bought new and is not a kid, has drag raced it since new and has been very dependable, 2 clutches, one axle and some other minor things

best time is a 11.86 in 1/4

drove it to Mopar Nats running ac and got better than 30 mpg, let air out of tires, turned 12.0 something, aired tires up and drove home

He has bought a 392 SRT Challenger, said he would sell the SRT4 but it would not be cheap $14,000

Looks better than new, under hood is very clean and detailed. I'm thinking he told me it has somewhere in the low 30,000 mile range, definately a sleeper

If you find a nice one you will be HAPPY

-
Back