2017 ram 2500 broken manifold bolts

-
Couple things, the stainless bolts never "fixed" the problem (though often held long enough to make it out of warranty. The article above mentioned unlimited power train warranty - nope; unless you are the original owner of the vehicle, when they offered the "lifetime warranty," most people didn't realize the lifetime portion of it went away as soon as the name on the title changed. There has been, of course other powertrain warranties, but the lifetime went away many years ago. Having done more of these than I care to count, I made a suggestion a long time ago, to install a flex joint in the Y pipe. This would help tremendously with the expansion / contraction issue. The Y pipe also expands away from each end and compounds the tension put on the rear bolts. Anyways kudos to those that are still getting help from dealers on these repairs though the vehicle may not be under warranty, that is something to be appreciated.
I bought my truck new and have the unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty, at 280K the trans went out and at 340K the engine gave up, stuck valve. Both replaced under warranty and my deductible was $200 on each. The broken studs are not part of the warranty but the warped manifold was and it was due to broken studs. My warranty is still in affect and I have 406K on it now...

Last edited:
I've got a buddy with a newer Power Wagon. Bad *** truck, but he says he averages about 11 mpg, around town its closer to 8.

I'll stick with my 5.7 for now, although it needs more power in the 3500rpm range. I tow my camper a TON with mine, and it really struggles getting up to highway speeds.
That makes me feel better...I've been averaging 11.4 around town

A few weeks ago I bought a second PCM, and had it reprogrammed by American Muscle Performance out in Florida

Been less then a week and I'm up to 12.0 allready, with a little bit of extra oomph too

Might be an option for your 5.7?

I made a suggestion a long time ago, to install a flex joint in the Y pipe. This would help tremendously with the expansion / contraction issue. The Y pipe also expands away from each end and compounds the tension put on the rear bolts.
The headers I'm looking at come with a new Y pipe, but I don't believe there is any flex in it

1708051879807.png

I've got a 2020 Ram with 5.7 with 62k and took it in last year at 59k for an exhaust leak. I knew there was a leak in front of the muffler but thought it was also one at the driver side manifold. My nephew just had his gaskets replaced so I was nervous about it. They claimed that the manifolds were OK but I still think there was something not quite right there. Now I can really hear it on cold start. I think I'm probably out of luck now being over 60k miles? Not looking forward to having any of the dealers around here working on it, they have proven to be less than competent as well as freaking expensive. When I was under there, it didn't look like fun to get to all the manifold bolts. I wouldn't go with tube headers but wouldn't mind stabbing a different cam in. Saw a story recently on FB with a shop that claimed a 10%+ hp increase with a cam change only.

Manifold bolts are easy to get to. Even when needing to weld a nut to the broken piece to get it out, there's plenty of room. The driver side is a little tougher because of the steering column and dipstick tube, but really not bad.

Check the joint in front of your muffler, every person I know with the newer style Ram has had a bolt break at the joint causing a leak. It's pretty loud at startup but eventually seals itself up. The ones I have heard are louder than the manifold leak, which usually just tick when cold.

Check the joint in front of your muffler, every person I know with the newer style Ram has had a bolt break at the joint causing a leak. It's pretty loud at startup but eventually seals itself up. The ones I have heard are louder than the manifold leak, which usually just tick when cold.
I replaced the bolts and steel gasket with factory parts myself. They quoted $275 to do it so I said no, just sell me the parts. I think the gasket and two bolts came to $60 :eek: but I took them anyway. One bolt sheared but I got it out with some heat. Took ten minutes. They also quoted the side mirror glass for $467. Part is about $220 and takes ten minutes to change. Their labor charges are out of control.

My 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 had the same issue. Had the manifolds and bolts replaced in 2020 under warranty. Now it’s doing it again. Those ARH headers are damn nice, some of the finest on the market. But also Extremely Expensive. Makes buying TTI headers for our cars seem like a summit brand option. LOL.

My 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 had the same issue. Had the manifolds and bolts replaced in 2020 under warranty. Now it’s doing it again. Those ARH headers are damn nice, some of the finest on the market. But also Extremely Expensive. Makes buying TTI headers for our cars seem like a summit brand option. LOL.
I remember when i bought the dougs for the duster...yeah, seems like couch cash compared to these

But im still thinking i want to get em

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf

Emission Related Parts
These are examples of other parts of your vehicle which have a primary purpose other than emis sions control but which nevertheless have significant effects on your vehicle’s emissions. If any of these parts fail to function or function improperly, your vehicle’s emissions may exceed federal standards. Therefore, when any of the parts of the following systems are defective in materials or workmanship and have failed in a way that would be likely to cause your vehicle’s emissions to exceed federal standards, they should be repaired or replaced under the emissions warranty:
1. Fuel Injection System: fuel distributor
2. Air Induction System: turbocharger, intake manifold
3. Exhaust System: exhaust manifold
4. Ignition System: distributor, spark plugs, ignition wires and coil
5. Miscellaneous Parts: hoses, gaskets, brackets, clamps, and other accessories used in the above systems.

I’ve had my factory Y-Pipe replaced under the Federal Emissions Warranty Act

Has anybody said why there is such a problem with the bolts failing. I have an 05 Ram with 5.7 and no manifold exhaust leak, also have 102,000 miles on it. With all the problems with these new trucks, only lease them, and since it's just a matter of time that they will breakdown, dump them back to the Mfgr.. And now with all the computer BS in them there almost impossible to fix. If it's heating up and then cooling, engines have being doing that since day one. Or is it another case of trying to save a dime and use inferior parts.

Has anybody said why there is such a problem with the bolts failing. I have an 05 Ram with 5.7 and no manifold exhaust leak, also have 102,000 miles on it. With all the problems with these new trucks, only lease them, and since it's just a matter of time that they will breakdown, dump them back to the Mfgr.. And now with all the computer BS in them there almost impossible to fix. If it's heating up and then cooling, engines have being doing that since day one. Or is it another case of trying to save a dime and use inferior parts.
All the manufacturers have had issues for years. Smaller metric bolts seem to be an issue.

I bought my truck new and have the unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty, at 280K the trans went out and at 340K the engine gave up, stuck valve. Both replaced under warranty and my deductible was $200 on each. The broken studs are not part of the warranty but the warped manifold was and it was due to broken studs. My warranty is still in affect and I have 406K on it now...
That's awesome; a lot of people have kept their vehicles from that era and cashed in on having the warranty. Not everyone is as lucky, as sometimes they have been looking at the value of the vehicle vs cost of repair and buying out the customer. Those that really won out on the warranty - the ones that bought the "Max Care Lifetime " service contract...

Chrysler had a problem with the 2.2 head gaskets when they first came out in the early 80's because they were using 10mm head bolts. They then switched to 11mm bolts to solve the problem. My 83 was warranted to 50,000 miles and gasket went out at 49,000 so fortunately covered under warranty. I did put another 90,000 on it with no more problems.

I got the OK from the missus to get the headers

The truck will go into the shop in Thursday to get a qoute, but tomorrow my search will start for an outfit that has these headers in stock

Just had one of my V10 fords in for the same.
THere was a fellow on my tool route that would travel around to the shops that had broken studs in heads. He had a small tig welder. He could weld to the broken stud even if it was broken off below the surface, build up weld, and eventually weld a washer and nut so the fastener could be removed. Years ago he was getting $100 a removal. He had very few failures. I have heard of that being done with a wire welder as well but the tig gun is so much smaller in those hard to get places.

THere was a fellow on my tool route that would travel around to the shops that had broken studs in heads. He had a small tig welder. He could weld to the broken stud even if it was broken off below the surface, build up weld, and eventually weld a washer and nut so the fastener could be removed. Years ago he was getting $100 a removal. He had very few failures. I have heard of that being done with a wire welder as well but the tig gun is so much smaller in those hard to get places.
Yup, and you can use a stick welder to get into tight places too. We did hundreds of broken bolts on air valve blocks on the railcars that way. I don't remember any failures either. Even when the stud was broken below the block.

Yup, and you can use a stick welder to get into tight places too. We did hundreds of broken bolts on air valve blocks on the railcars that way. I don't remember any failures either. Even when the stud was broken below the block.
When they are broken below the surface is where the tig comes in handy. Attach a blob of weld to the broken bolt and keep building your way out of the hole.

with all manufacturers. It seems worse with Ford (that figures)
Ford has many issues with bolts, as head bolts and lug nuts are only to be used once, then need new ones once removed. This statement goes back a few years. VW has the same issue with bolts. As someone stated, Dodge or RAM trucks has an issue with exhaust bolts. So the $500.00 question is, do you change them out now before they break and possible breaking a couple while doing so or wait until they break?

My truck developed a little exhaust leak when cold, and sure enough, it sheared of a few exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side

Just to confirm with you guys...this totally justifies putting long tube headers on, right?
The last 20 years all the American manufacturers have had broken exhaust manifold bolts. My Dakota 3.9 Magnum V6 has a few I need to deal with.
When they did their design updates from the LA, SBC and SBF they all came up with the astoundingly brilliant idea to save material on bolt construction. Now we do have to understand that an ounce of steel.saved per exhaust bolt spread over the better part of a million engines per year keeps the bean counters happy. Well the bean counters might be happy, but I would like to stuff a handful of broken bolt remanents up the place the sun don't shine. The bolts that break are 8mm, basically 5/16". Metric sizing is not the issue. When virtually every engine had 3/8" exhaust manifold bolts we very rarely had broken bolts in operation. I have broken a few off trying to remove rusted in bolts though.
If rebuilding an engine I might be tempted to drill and tap for 3/8" and then drill the manifolds out to fit.

Ford has many issues with bolts, as head bolts and lug nuts are only to be used once, then need new ones once removed. This statement goes back a few years. VW has the same issue with bolts. As someone stated, Dodge or RAM trucks has an issue with exhaust bolts. So the $500.00 question is, do you change them out now before they break and possible breaking a couple while doing so or wait until they break?
These bolts generally come out OK but break due to expansion of the manifold flange and movement of the manifold length wise on the head due to heating and cooling cycles. Replacing the bolts before they break could be an idea, but you never know when they will break. I put an antiseize under the bolt heads to allow the manifold to slid under the bolt heads.

Newer engines generally use 8mm or 5/16" manifold bolts. Just not enough meat in them. Not all will fail, but enough it is a problem. For those that fail, a warranty repair of removing the affected manifold to get the broken bolt out, replace all the bolts on that side with a new gasket is peanuts compared to the cost of the steel they saved. Most seem to get past the warranty period so it is not their problem.

Had the same issue 14 Ram, 5.7 at 65k. Hooked up w/a friend who was a Parts MGR at a Chrysler dealer. Got new manifolds, gaskets and bolts for $450 n change. Had 2 sheared bolts on the front left side and 1 off the right side. I was able to remove 1 of the 3 but had a friend weld the nut to extract it. Reason for the manifold change as they were warped 1/8" in the front. Going on 11k since, no issues.

IMG_0661.jpg

-
Back