20psi stock 5.9 carnage

-
I’m impressed with the head gaskets holding!
Gasket technology has come a long way!
I run copper gaskets in conjunction with O-Ringed heads and a receiver groove cut into the block.
His tune must’ve been spot on.

He’s a member here but I can’t remember his screen name. His 5.9 magnum let go making 20 pounds of boost and this video is the tear down. Enjoy.

Blowed it up real good.
When I used to corner marshal for road racing, a Formula Ford blew the engine just coming to Corner One. These are 1600cc English Ford engines. You could have thrown a football through the block. Bits of crankshaft and flywheel bouncemd off the track. Found one piece of flywheel with a piece of pressure plate still bolted to it.

Clean the oil and loose debris off the piston crown. Make a good display piece or Hard Luck award. Quite the conversation starter.

New “race” engine. Lol

What is your block, 2bolt or 4 bolt. Check David Vizard Powertec 10 episode that discusses building the SBF 5.0 block to handle up to 1,000HP. These blocks are known for breaking at over 500HP. One thing DV tells iis a machine shop that will modify the mains for 4 bolts with registers machined in to lock the new caps in place. This is done to any make bolck. It is likely a bit expensive, but less than blowing the rotating bits out the oil pan and side of the block.

What is your block, 2bolt or 4 bolt. Check David Vizard Powertec 10 episode that discusses building the SBF 5.0 block to handle up to 1,000HP. These blocks are known for breaking at over 500HP. One thing DV tells iis a machine shop that will modify the mains for 4 bolts with registers machined in to lock the new caps in place. This is done to any make bolck. It is likely a bit expensive, but less than blowing the rotating bits out the oil pan and side of the block.
Not my block, these are videos from another member here. And adding 4 bolt mains to an LA block only weakens the the webbing around the main caps. It’s not a suggested good practice. Plus that’s not where the magnum (or LA for that matter) fails when big power is applied.

That figure is an old wives tale. At least the small block Chrysler one. A small block Chrysler will live at 1k HP forever as long as it doesn't get into detonation.
Not my block, these are videos from another member here. And adding 4 bolt mains to an LA block only weakens the the webbing around the main caps. It’s not a suggested good practice. Plus that’s not where the magnum (or LA for that matter) fails when big power is applied.
Categorically I agree with you but my original turbo motor made 1222 at the tire with 4 bolt splayed caps. In addition to that My Duster has them too and it made 900 at the flywheel with a 250 shot of nitrous, at that short block is 23 years old with about 400 passes on it.

That figure is an old wives tale. At least the small block Chrysler one. A small block Chrysler will live at 1k HP forever as long as it doesn't get into detonation.

Categorically I agree with you but my original turbo motor made 1222 at the tire with 4 bolt splayed caps. In addition to that My Duster has them too and it made 900 at the flywheel with a 250 shot of nitrous, at that short block is 23 years old with about 400 passes o
The 1,000HP was in reference to the SBF engine blocks, which tend to break main webs or split right up through the lifter valley. This can happen on any of the SBF at over 500HP. The 351W are not as prone to this. The Mopar blocks are definately more substantial.
The eatly Ford blocks are a little stronger while the quest to remove weight has affected the newer blocks strength.
Watch the David Vizard Powertec 10 episode oon the 1,000HP block mods. The 4 bolt is splayed and can be done to any block. I bet it is expensive, but when you want to play in that league it is all expensive. Probably less expensive the blowing the crank out on the ashphalt.

Categorically I agree with you but my original turbo motor made 1222 at the tire with 4 bolt splayed caps. In addition to that My Duster has them too and it made 900 at the flywheel with a 250 shot of nitrous, at that short block is 23 years old with about 400 passes on it.
Pretty hard to argue with actual, factual results like that. So I won’t. What caps are on yours and who did the machine work? Weren’t you using an R Block or Ritter? For some reason I was thinking your red car had an aftermarket block in it.

Last edited:
I missed my notifications and didn't see you guys blew my video up like this.

For the record, I wasn't trying to kill it, I had been running 18psi on pump gas for awhile and didn't think it would pick up so much torque on E85. I'm using the motor to learn tuning, I'm just a guy who bought a Terminator X and is trying to learn tuning on something that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to repair when I inevitably screw up. I knocked two motors apart by having too much timing in it for 93, so I switched to E85 because it's almost impossible to detonate on E85. And now I screwed up and put way too much torque in it down low.

So now, it has ARP fasteners on the bottom end, I took out a bunch of mid-range boost to hopefully help keep peak torque more reasonable. And I dropped the overall boost to 15psi on E85. Will it live like this? I don't know, but we'll find out together!

And for those guys beating me up for using up all the Magnum motors...lol. I can go on Facebook any day and pick up a running 5.9 for $300. They aren't rare by any means, they are just bolted to blown up 46RE's in rusty 90's trucks.

For the record, I wasn't trying to kill it, I had been running 18psi on pump gas for awhile and didn't think it would pick up so much torque on E85. I'm using the motor to learn tuning, I'm just a guy who bought a Terminator X and is trying to learn tuning on something that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to repair when I inevitably screw up. I knocked two motors apart by having too much timing in it for 93, so I switched to E85 because it's almost impossible to detonate on E85. And now I screwed up and put way too much torque in it down low.

So now, it has ARP fasteners on the bottom end, I took out a bunch of mid-range boost to hopefully help keep peak torque more reasonable. And I dropped the overall boost to 15psi on E85. Will it live like this? I don't know, but we'll find out together!

And for those guys beating me up for using up all the Magnum motors...lol. I can go on Facebook any day and pick up a running 5.9 for $300. They aren't rare by any means, they are just bolted to blown up 46RE's in rusty 90's trucks.
I agree they aren't rare.....I just hate seein anything tore up. I guess it's from never having any money to really do anything with.....I appreciate your efforts. I do. I still don't like seein stuff tore up, but it's not mine. lol I think you;ll have a lot better luck with better fasteners and 15PSI. What pistons are you using? Even the most economical forged piston would probably make it bullet proof. Just a thought.

Oh and don't let it lean out! LOL

Not that I want you to have to keep spending money and throwing away blocks, but I do want to see your previous tune in it. Really would be interesting to see if the rod bolts would keep it together or if it’d bend a rod.

Not that I want you to have to keep spending money and throwing away blocks, but I do want to see your previous tune in it. Really would be interesting to see if the rod bolts would keep it together or if it’d bend a rod.
Bent a stock Chrysler rod? You really think so? I don't. They're tough. A small block Chevy rod? Yeah.

I agree they aren't rare.....I just hate seein anything tore up. I guess it's from never having any money to really do anything with.....I appreciate your efforts. I do. I still don't like seein stuff tore up, but it's not mine. lol I think you;ll have a lot better luck with better fasteners and 15PSI. What pistons are you using? Even the most economical forged piston would probably make it bullet proof. Just a thought.
It's all stock. Once I'm comfortable with my tuning and I can keep a stock motor together for awhile I'll build a forged motor. But I really don't want to blow up a nice motor. This is my learning project and with that comes mistakes.

Let me get through Cleetus and Cars and I'll turn it back up some. Lol

Bent a stock Chrysler rod? You really think so? I don't. They're tough. A small block Chevy rod? Yeah.

I know they’re tough. That’s why I’m wondering what the next point of failure is after the rod bolts, an estimated 800ftlb down low on a stock block would make half this forums head explode.

It's all stock. Once I'm comfortable with my tuning and I can keep a stock motor together for awhile I'll build a forged motor. But I really don't want to blow up a nice motor. This is my learning project and with that comes mistakes.
I think that's smart. I can tell you how to not hurt the stock pistons. Run it fat. Try to avoid the temptation to lean it out makin more power......cause it WILL make more power......but....but.......well you get the picture. LOL I agree with that approach. You can always lean it out a tic and read the plugs. You'll see aluminum specks on um before somethin bad happens and you can fatten it back up. lol

I know they’re tough. That’s why I’m wondering what the next point of failure is after the rod bolts, an estimated 800ftlb down low on a stock block would make half this forums head explode.
I think it'll be the piston. If he doesn't lean it out too much, it might live.....but then that's a lot of pressure goin on. It'll be an interestin thing to watch. Two things come to mind. Keeping it as COOL as possible and runnin it fat. Not pig rich mind you, just a little fat.

I knew a magnum would be as strong as a stock LS and you pretty much have proven that. So I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this. E85, especially pump E85 varies greatly in octane. Its also only 105 octane (the good stuff from VP) so E85 can be a tuner’s nightmare. You can for sure detonate a turbo motor on E85. Also running the timing so retarded can also be hard on a motor. It wont detonate but it can load up with fuel and hurt rods and pistons. Its better to run more timing with less boost and end up at the same power level. To a certain extent anyways. There will be a sweet spot where it likes to run timing wise and at lower boost which means less heat from the compressor and overall it'll run better. I tune my own Holley EFI on my turbo motor and have been since the 90’s. Just FYI for you, so you don't think I am some internet keyboard warrior lol.

-
Back