20psi stock 5.9 carnage

-
There is no shortage of Magnum cores. Magnum engines are plentiful in the junk yards. Here in Michigan we have lots of Magnum equipped trucks, vans, Durangos, and Dakotas cycling through the yards on a regular basis. Even the early year trucks that still have LA oiling come through the yards on a regular basis. If any shop wanted Magnum blocks they can work with the parts locator network and have all the Magnums they want. The real issue is supply and demand. There is lots of supply, but not as much demand from people willing to pony up the price of new crate engine. If you have 2000 guys begging for Chevy engines to be built and 200 guys begging for Mopar engines, which one takes priority?

If I had the free time, I would be listing Magnum 360 engines here all the time just to get them back out there.
Oh yeah, I get all that. I ain't styoopid. Mopars have always been in the minority. It's all about what sells and what they can make money on. Besides all that, Mopar guys have a history of bein the cheapest bastards around. It's no wonder few companies make products for us. They're takin a huge chance those products might not get bought. But you keep thinkin Magnums are plentiful. That'll just be your little secret. Possibly in your area, but it's not like that everywhere by a long shot. I have one of the largest salvage yards in several counties 3 miles down the road and they've had NONE for a couple years now.

That's pretty impressive that it kinda held 20psi. Like he said wonder if by upgrading the rod bolts to ARP would it have held.

If you say so. I won't argue. I can agree to disagree and move on.
Oh come on you ALWAYS say so. :rofl:
There are 4 salvage yards and like 8 truck dismantling yards within 15 miles of me and all of them, every single one, has at least 10 magnums in their yard. Hell the last yard I went to (pick a part on Milican in Jurupa valley) had 3 v10s in dodge trucks. And most guys call those hens teeth.

That's pretty impressive that it kinda held 20psi. Like he said wonder if by upgrading the rod bolts to ARP would it have held.
It made me wonder about the past history of that bottom end. He said he put bearings in it. Maybe the bolts had been torqued a few times too many previously. There’s no doubt the bolts are the weak link and ARPs would move the stress somewhere else.

It made me wonder about the past history of that bottom end. He said he put bearings in it. Maybe the bolts had been torqued a few times too many previously. There’s no doubt the bolts are the weak link and ARPs would move the stress somewhere else.
True, plus I think it sounded like he changed the ring gap too. But hey at least we know stock main bolts survive 20psi too. Was all rod bolts.
Saw you mentioned the pick a part on milican, been there a lot when I was living there, think that's where I pulled my Dana 60 out of a ford truck I believe before redoing it all for my 72 Satellite.

True, plus I think it sounded like he changed the ring gap too. But hey at least we know stock main bolts survive 20psi too. Was all rod bolts.
Saw you mentioned the pick a part on milican, been there a lot when I was living there, think that's where I pulled my Dana 60 out of a ford truck I believe before redoing it all for my 72 Satellite.
It’s my “go to” yard. Been going since high school.

He’s a member here but I can’t remember his screen name. His 5.9 magnum let go making 20 pounds of boost and this video is the tear down. Enjoy.

So a stock bottom end cast crank cast piston 5.9 magnum grenaded with 20 lbs of boost. Who could have guessed? :)

And it wasn’t the cast crank or the pistons that failed.

A lot of overkill in the size of the rotating assembly, for sure. If the factory had used 7/16 bolts, it would probably still be going...

Oh come on you ALWAYS say so. :rofl:
There are 4 salvage yards and like 8 truck dismantling yards within 15 miles of me and all of them, every single one, has at least 10 magnums in their yard. Hell the last yard I went to (pick a part on Milican in Jurupa valley) had 3 v10s in dodge trucks. And most guys call those hens teeth.
And look where you are. Location is key. Yards around this part of the country rarely have things over ten years old.

I’m impressed with the carnage! He’s taking it all in stride and did something we all want to do! C’mon admit it!

I’m sooooooooo going to try and that!

******* AWESOME!!!

Hard to decide. I have a family of friends that truck pull. The jam a ton of pressure 30++ into engines never made for it. I hate to see them explode engines but that's hot rodding. They push the limits to compete. Damn it's a fun place to visit and it fun team to watch. Probably the most fun is their kids getting into the mini pullers. The hobby carries on. Pics as soon as I can find them.

Last edited:
Oh ya, it's a family affair. 3 generations.

img_1_1679362165774.jpg

img_2_1679362335543.jpg

img_3_1679362427077.jpg

img_1_1679362855524.jpg

img_2_1679362930046.jpg

I've been going back all evening lookin at that. I just don't know what to say.
I say do it again! He did say the tune up was off and he didn’t pay attention so the fault is his and admitted to it. So that’s cool. Honesty!

Richard Holdner has boosted stuff like crazy! It all lived. It’s all in the tune.

It’s interesting that his idea of a good tune is no broken pistons. Ignore the fact that you can still beat out half the rod bearings before ever popping a ring land....

Well, I'm just not impressed with tearing stuff up. Never have been. It makes people look pretty unintelligent. Anybody can tear something up. 20 PSI on a stock engine. Who wouldn't know it would grenade itself? And then to make a video more or less saying "huh huh huh, look what we did, huh huh huh". Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead. I've struggled and sacrificed with every project I've ever had and taken as good care of them as I possibly could. When I see somebody blatantly abuse something, I'm not impresed

Impressive especially in that heavy truck. Since it looks like the back two rods broke loose and set the whole meltdown in motion I wonder if maybe it was a fuel distro issue that ratttled those two cylinders enough to upset the whole thing under so much pressure. But amazing everything else pretty much held up. Stock pistons, cast crank, block didn’t just split in half. It got broke by an errant rod.

I ran 6PSI of boost and a 150 shot of N2O on a Mopar Performance short block that had Hyperutectic Pistons for many years….. For some reason the Skirts don’t like 7000+ RPM’s… LOL
7C7B596A-C0B5-4005-9898-9B335D00592F.jpeg

After watching the video. That is the filthiest performance engine I have ever seen. Looks to have had no oil changes or been run on drain oil. And he just replaced the bearing. What did he expect the dirt to evade the new parts. The oil pan looks like it was just about rusted through before the holes were put in it from the rods. New bearings and the motor was that filthy?

Performance engine? It’s a stock magnum 5.9. Stock. Like ALL STOCK. pulled out of a junk yard added rings and bearings and a turbo thrown on it. I agree though it’s filthy.

-
Back