225 to 318 question

-

beau1333

Reaction score
I am gathering parts to pull my 225/904 out of my 71 Dart and drop in a 318/A518. I will also be replacing the 7.25 with I hope if I can find an 8.75. The question comes to the drive shaft. I know going with the 518 is going to mean that I need to shorten a drive shaft, but will I be able to use the stock /6 one or will I need to find a V8 one to cut on?

If your not racing it ,then it will be fine but you'll have to get the right yoke for the transmission.

Since you will be paying the same price for the cut and balance work it makes more sense to use a heavy duty shaft.

Weight is HP and being that the 318 isnt a big HP maker then the lighter shaft would be best, most stock driveshafts will hold 400 HP and a heavier driveshaft wil require more HP to turn than a lighter one IMO.

Next question. Is there any difference between a BB drive shaft and the heavy duty drive that a small black car would have used.

Nope.... Just cut down the one you have and you'll be fine.

The difference in the HD drivelines is they are larger diameter tube & larger u-joint. I would use the small driveline if you already have one.

Chuck

The shaft will have to be shortend for both the 518 and 8.75 so try to install both trans and rear axle at the same time to keep from cutting the driveshaft twice. The 518 (and 500) takes the same yoke as a 727, so that is easy to find in your small u joint size. Alot of the factory drive shafts have an inside liner mounted in rubber that gets in the way if the shaft is shortend more than 2 or 3 inches. You can not tell untill you cut the shaft if it has one. If you change the trans and rear end, your shaft will be shortend well more than that.

By the way, do not let anybody cut your shaft in the middle and weld it up there. I took the shaft out of a 72 duster I am restoring and that is what I found. I can not believe the car was driven that way, it had to vibrate like crazy.

-
Back