230 Block Question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Can you identify a thick main 230 400 block by the casting date? Which date range indicates the desirable thick main version? Thanks

Yes there is a cutoff date. It is pretty early in the production cycle. Check the 440Source website to see if they have the date on there. I think it is late summer time.

Yes there is a cutoff date. It is pretty early in the production cycle. Check the 440Source website to see if they have the date on there. I think it is late summer time.

Thanks. I looked on 440source's website. It didn't provide any casting dates unfortunately.

I've always heard blocks cast before Dec 11, 1971 are winter blocks with the thick webbing. That's no guarantee that it will sonic test well, though. Would hate to spend alot for one and find it has thin cylinder walls...

I do have one tucked away that's been cleaned, mag'd and sonic tested. Not for sale

hmmm..... I have a 71 400 block. Will have to check the casting date.

And here's an interesting document...they put 400s into some '71 Newports.

Would be fun to find one of these, watch the puzzled looks from vin readers.

71-9-8-page1.jpg

Last edited:
Can you identify a thick main 230 400 block by the casting date? Which date range indicates the desirable thick main version? Thanks
not sure the cut off,but my 400 block was cast 12/6/71 and is said not to be one.

from july to sept,i have 3 230 blocks,one is 12-7-71 not thick web,also beware of frost cracks between freeze plugs as I have 2 that is cracked,one block I paid high bucks for,everyone thinks,these are the #1 race block for low decks,but for many years racers has been using the 630 blocks which have thicker bores,if your building a race motor,go with a later block,same goes with the 440

from july to sept,i have 3 230 blocks,one is 12-7-71 not thick web,also beware of frost cracks between freeze plugs as I have 2 that is cracked,one block I paid high bucks for,everyone thinks,these are the #1 race block for low decks,but for many years racers has been using the 630 blocks which have thicker bores,if your building a race motor,go with a later block,same goes with the 440
Looking at my main webbing, it looks thick and very beefy. i often wondered if chrysler made some til the end of the yr and didnt document. Mine had bad core shift and had to fill within 3" from the deck. I have a 530 block as a spare. I think the later blocks are the way to go because of the thicker bore/less core shift.

Just bought a 230 block. Where is the casting date? Is that cast into the block on the passenger side? I'll need to check mine.

Ok, I will when I get home. You're talking about the one in the picture, right? Looks like a 3 space 71. The month isn't in the picture.

-
Back