250 HP Slant Six - No Turbo

-
No Drama Jr. thats just the way it is.they just as soon let the info die with them than pass it on to the wrong kid.it's up to you to step up and be the one,ya gotta be respectful,they got values that most won't understand but keep at em and they might take a likin to Ya!!!they don't say drama city either......8)
Wow. Drama city.

This is turning into an episode of The View.

Is there a way to delete this thread and start over?

ain't nuthin wrong with timing chains........them geardrives might be helpful but they ain't makin horspower,spend your money how you want to but that thing aint gonna make it fast,all the trinkets on the universe ain't gonna make it fast you gotta go digging for that kind of stuff to make it fast and make it dependable.
I thought Pentastar had those? Did you happen to check them out? I think the link is http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/

Have you ran it in the 1/4 yet?

Lots! :-D

Keep in mind that I can't stop fiddling with stuff, and my car and I are both proper obese entities!

My last run at Redding was a 16.51. I can't remember the exact MPH, but it was around 85ish.

The car weighed in at 3620 with my tubby butt in it.
Wicked/Six tried to kill me the night before with beer, and tales of rabbid chinchilla attacks or some such thing. It's all very fuzzy.
I deserved it for the sorry shape he was in at MATS last year! :lol:

MATS was on a stock motor for a beautiful Red light and breakout of 0.015 seconds on my 20.03 Second dial... Pretty lame run, but deadly consistent. I broke out by .015 on the same dial in a double breakout the round before... :shock:

We'll share it all bro! Some of the Jeffries builds are a bit closed mouth I guess, but I'll tell you everything I've done, and what I would and wouldn't do again.

I'll also be the first to admit that as far as bracket is concerned, I'm messing up again. I'm trying to make it go faster! It's already consistent, now I'm throwing all kinds of variability back in the mix. But, "Faster is funner!"

SSRN 6th Place 2008!
Up from 27th in 2007. :-D

CJ

16.51?
I built a DATSUN B210 engine head by mild porting, mild polishing, lots of milling as well as some careful filing around the seats. I put that head on a stock '81 210 A15 (1500cc) bottom end. Weber dgv 2bbl and a custom plate to fit it on the manifold. Stock exhaust manifold going into a 2 inch pipe with an Afterburner muffler.
Stock '81 60 series 5 speed, stock Rootes 3.90 geared rear end. Electric fan and fuel pump.
All of this was in a '71 Plymouth Cricket that weighed 2,500lbs with my fat *** in it.
Now before I hear a bunch of hateful B.S. about imports (I swear I'm gonna lay out the next guy that calls my ENGLISH Plymouth a rice burner...)
This combination ran a best of 15.98@89mph at Carlsbad raceway back in '99.
I don't want to sound like an A-hole, but after spending all that time and money, I'd probably build a 318.
I still drive a 225 powered '68 Valiant today, though.......

16.51?
... but after spending all that time and money, I'd probably build a 318.

That's cool. It isn't for everybody. The slant is the hard way to get there. More the journey... I wonder what kind of time I could put down less 1100#'s? :D

What makes the experience is the community. We wrench on each other's cars, party, BBQ and camp at the tracks together. Then we go out and compete, and cheer each other on.
It's a tight knit group. We ship each other parts, gag gifts, and the odd Christmas card. When we run into snags, we call and compare notes.

To each thier own. :wink:

CJ

Pettybluedart,
Where are you guys getting the sweet looking throttle and kick down kits at?
I'm assuming the pedal needs to be upgraded on the 66 as well since it was the shaft style.
Joe

I predict that you'll be eating those words. You should go into motivational speaking. I'm almost embarrased that you posted on this thread. There are a handful of eager young people on this forum who are yearning for knowledge and your post simply put says, "it's too hard, give up now."

Excuse me, where do you get, "it's too hard, give up now"? from "Good Luck". TWICE. And if you accomplish your goal, I'll be the first one patting you on the back. The world needs as many well-built slants as it can get to prove the doubters wrong. And you'd be joining a VERY small group of folks who have built a 300 horse slant.

But the fact is, .org gets regular posts from kids that "have a friend with a '02 Camaro Z/28 SS, and I want to beat the pants off him at the dragstrip with my '78 Volare slant six. What do I need to do?". The correct answer? BUY A NEW CAR. Can it be done with a slant six Volare? SURE it can. But not by a person who has no idea how to get there, and most folks driving a '78 Volare don't have very deep pockets. It's going to take YEARS of learning from guys who have been there, done that for decades, or simply handing the car off to professionals to build it for him ($$$$$). And of course, that's not what people want to hear. If you read enough posts like this, you'll notice 95% of these folks only stick around for a few weeks when they "don't get any support", or as I refer to it, "get a strong dose of reality". Am I being harsh? SURE I am. But unlike V-8's, hopping up slants is a long, difficult journey full of disappointment IF YOU SET UNREALISTIC GOALS. So if my discouraging words are gonna result in someone giving up their quest for a high hp slant, then believe me, they probably wouldn't have gotten far anyway.

And please, don't be embarrassed by my comments, or at least, pay attention to the auto spellcheck.

Why not contribute to the thread if you behold some much powerful knowledge?

Um, if you reread my post, you'll find that I said that I am NOT an expert. I'm only smart enough to know where to go to get the best advice to meet my goals when it comes to slants, and I'm perfectly happy with the strong 200 hp slant I built myself, with the help of several people who are a LOT smarter than me. I'd be happy to share any details of the build (and have before on this forum, if you can use the search function), but it would be practically useless on a quest to build a 300 horse RACE engine.

Nothing is impossible. Limitations are only set by the walls of your mind. If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.

Jeez, I thought you were gonna burst into song. Yeah, all of those things are true. But reaching your goals means being open-minded, and willing to listen and learn from the mistakes of those who have walked the path before you. It also means having resolve against adversity. You took your toys and went home when ONE guy hurt your feelings, and you've turned your back on the greatest resource you'll ever have to meet your goals.

I'm not here to be a cheerleader. I'm just stating my opinion. If you're just looking for encouragement and don't want to hear negative comments, then state that in your initial post. My personal opinion is this: you've set your goal TOO HIGH, based on your experience and budget. For you to even have a chance to get there, you need to use every available resource at your disposal, which INCLUDES, but is not limited to, FABO.

Guys who have been building and racing slants FOR YEARS have a tough time reaching 300 hp without power adders. But you're gonna do it with a lack of experience and by limiting your resources? Heck, even WITH help from the pro's help, it would be a tough road. You're gonna need a lot thicker skin to hang around ANY forums, FABO OR .org, much less build your dream engine. If you're really capable of building this engine, then nothing I have to say will deter you in any way. So go for it, and show me dyno results or timeslips.

If you have any questions, post away. Only a select few people will be able to get you to 300 h.p., but maybe you'll get lucky and they'll stop by here once in a while. But if you're just looking for cheerleaders, then just say so.

Yeah, I've been going back and forth about EFI. I wanted to stay natuarally aspirated in order to keep the nostalgia thing going, but I think in the end, modern technology is going to win.

I have some more research to do before I make a decision either way.

Highway, is this car a daily driver?

Your economy at the HP target you are shooting for is not going to be very good. The guys that are delivering that kind of power flirt with single digits.
I run between 13 and 18 mpg with mine.

Heads up. :shock:

CJ

My 70 Swinger came with a 75 motor. I have the availability to get yet another 75 slant motor with low miles. I know the HP rating just kept dropping after 72 but how much? I heard 75 motors rated at 95 to 110 HP, is that true? I want a little kick to my car so my plan is basic. Offy 4bbl intake, Holley 390 4 bbl, Hooker Super Comp split Hedders (long tube), and a windage tray for starts. What can I expect to achieve with this in regards to HP? Additions will be a new tranny with a shift kit and a 323 grip out back. My question on all this is with this stuff on the car, the carb jetted to run, the true dual exhaust, and all the other stuff I listed can I get a ET slip somewhere in the 14s at like 90mph. Thats all I want. I want to drive the car on the street without all the hassle of a high HP motor, (been there and done that) and just want a decent cruiser. Will this work?? Thanks.
Chas.

parts 003.JPG

well, straight from pete jackson, "no gear drive available" :( asked what it would take to make one and they said "no more prototypes" :(

My 70 Swinger came with a 75 motor. I have the availability to get yet another 75 slant motor with low miles. I know the HP rating just kept dropping after 72 but how much? I heard 75 motors rated at 95 to 110 HP, is that true? I want a little kick to my car so my plan is basic. Offy 4bbl intake, Holley 390 4 bbl, Hooker Super Comp split Hedders (long tube), and a windage tray for starts. What can I expect to achieve with this in regards to HP? Additions will be a new tranny with a shift kit and a 323 grip out back. My question on all this is with this stuff on the car, the carb jetted to run, the true dual exhaust, and all the other stuff I listed can I get a ET slip somewhere in the 14s at like 90mph. Thats all I want. I want to drive the car on the street without all the hassle of a high HP motor, (been there and done that) and just want a decent cruiser. Will this work?? Thanks.
Chas.

Pretty much all of the differences between a '75 and a '70 are the way they measured horsepower, carb jetting, and the distributor advance curve. You'll need a cam, more compression, distributor recurve, and lower gears to get to your goal most likely, and I'd also add oversized valves and a little port work. It's not just the 1 bbl carb holding it back - but you aren't giving up anything by going with a smog mill either. Mopar isn't Chevy; they didn't ruin their cylinder heads to pass emissions tests. :)

Yes, it is a daily driver. That's ok though, my other car is a single digit MPG'er as well.

With all the goals you're stacking on top of each other - big horsepower numbers, naturally aspirated, and now daily driver - I'd definitely go EFI. Even a very docile engine can start better and run more smoothly on EFI, and on a high strung race motor the difference is even bigger.

You're setting very ambitious goals for yourself. I'll try to put what Vynn3 was saying with more tact: You've set a difficult goal, so research it well and try to get advice from as many gurus with more experience as possible. This will be quite a challenge, but it can be rewarding to pull it off.

Is this going in the 71 valiant? A high stall is a pain in a daily driver and with a wild cam you need a high stall.

TF

Pettybluedart,
Where are you guys getting the sweet looking throttle and kick down kits at?
I'm assuming the pedal needs to be upgraded on the 66 as well since it was the shaft style.
Joe
yooper822,the setup is from Lokar and I took it all off including the gas peddle.The PO had put it all on,but was never working(adjusted)properly.I ended up using a 72 Duster gas peddle with the throttle cable and mcgyvering a throttle cable holdown to my carb.I,m also gonna mcgyver the kickdown cable so it works properly.

Chas.

With just bolt on stuff the stock slant won't run near 14's, Head work and cam and internal work need to be done. What are you willing to do to it to get it there?

TF

I've been 12:00@110 in my Valiant in STREET trim, on a 150 shot of spray. At my car weight that calculates out to about 370 horse.

The car has gone 14:15@95 on motor.

By setting up a plan and watching the classifieds/swap meets/E-bag and doing my own work I built the whole car for around $6K.

My motor is very basic, the only big money in it is the head which was done by Mike Jeffrey.

If you are patient and don't have your head in your *** you can build good power for not a whole lot of money.

300 crank horses N/A will be a tough nut to crack though.

Dan is very knowledgable, but is a restoration purist. He really has no clue when it comes to any performance mods. Take him with a grain of salt, or tell him to STFU, whichever you like, but don't lump all the people there in with him and his nutswingers.

-
Back