255/60/15 tire availability

-
Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S P255/60R15
Mickey Thompson ET Street R Radial P255/60R15
Kelsey Goodyear GT Radial P255/60R15
Kelsey Goodyear Eagle GT Radial P255/60R15
Hoosier Quick Time Pro DOT LT27x10.5-15 (close size)
Hoosier Pro Street LT27x10.5-15

255/60/15 what I run on my 68 fastback.
I'll try to get a new pic tomorrow when it is light out.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T Radial Tires 90000000183

IMG_20160713_153706.jpg

Last edited:
I think a lot of posters are realizing this isn’t the “ oh that’s easy”. I guess guys here run small 205 tires, BFG, or run 18” with a good selection... or lastly..... haven’t bought 15’s for their garage project in 15 years. It’s not as easily done as said.

I think a lot of posters are realizing this isn’t the “ oh that’s easy”. I guess guys here run small 205 tires, BFG, or run 18” with a good selection... or lastly..... haven’t bought 15’s for their garage project in 15 years. It’s not as easily done as said.

I'm in the same boat, looking at different options. I'm trying to decide if I should switch to the big bolt pattern or stay with small. If I stay with small, my only real options for wheels and tires is a few options in 15". I agree with you that there just aren't many options in 15".

The problem I saw with the Mickey Thompson's is that they make a 255/60R15, but I have had a hard time finding smaller sizes for the front. Call me weird, but I like to have matching models of tires front to rear. I currently have BFG Radial T/A's front and back (225/60-14 up front, 245/60-14 in back).

I was going to say check Amazon for tire prices, but as someone mentioned, then you get nailed with installation and balancing charges when you have someone mount them. I got a good deal on a new set of fronts, but the tire place charged me $30 to mount and balance the pair! Only reason I did it though is my tire place couldn't get 225/60-14's at the time.

Just out of curiosity, what's the problem with the Coopers?

I have 255/60/15 Coopers on 6.5" rallye wheels.

Hankook makes a good tire as well.

Both are better than the Coker manufactured BFG T/A tires, per the traction/temp/treadwear ratings.

$110 ain't too bad a price, either.

Guys ... if you are looking for a good price on 4 tires and steel wheels for a 67-72 Dart ... i have them forsale .. and tires are practically new and rear wheels are custom built by Stockton in California ...sbp on 15 inch wheel ... thanks

Just out of curiosity, what's the problem with the Coopers?

I have 255/60/15 Coopers on 6.5" rallye wheels.

Hankook makes a good tire as well.

Both are better than the Coker manufactured BFG T/A tires, per the traction/temp/treadwear ratings.

$110 ain't too bad a price, either.

The Cooper Cobra's have a 440 treadwear rating, which is even harder than BFG TA's at 400. Temp and traction ratings are the same, A B. They're all season tires, just like the BFG T/A's. Which means they're "ok" in most conditions, and not great in any conditions. They sure as heck aren't high performance tires, which is again shown by the "T" speed rating. Only rated to 118mph. Which is better than the BFG T/A's, which are "S" rated, so, only good to 112. Yeah sure, that's ok on the street, but it's not even that great for a moderately fast street car on the track, be it a straight 1/4 mile or a road course. And typically higher speed rated tires balance easier, so, even on the street at speeds lower than the rated speed the lower speed rated tires tend to feel like, well, lower rated tires.

Also, a 255/60/15 shouldn't be mounted on anything narrower than a 7" rim.

Just found a MasterCraft 255/60/15 today but have not looked into their quality etc...

Just found a MasterCraft 255/60/15 today but have not looked into their quality etc...

Cheaper version of a BFG T/A or Cooper Cobra style tire. Just another outdated all season tire, similar tread design, compound, treadwear etc., without the name brand quality to back it up.

Seriously, there's nothing in that size for a street tire that isn't basically the same thing. At least if you get the BFG or Cooper you're getting the "original" and not a cheap copy.

...but by the numbers, as stated in the thread above, Both the the Master Craft and the Cooper are better tires for a lower cost. Cooper has at least as good a brand reputation as Goodrich (again, actually made by Coker), and I'd wager so does Hankook. Hankook is taping the specialized labor force in Akron, OH, as the other American MFGs are laying them off. That's smart business.

My 255's went right on to the 6.5 rims with my ancient Atlas changer. No stretching or undo resistance. They look like they were made for them. No bulging sidewalls or crowned tread surface.

If you want to go to the track, I think an affordable drag radial on a spare set of rims is probably the path of least resistance. Maybe even a sticky street/drag tire (like the MT), so you can drive to the track and change them out at home.

...but by the numbers, as stated in the thread above, Both the the Master Craft and the Cooper are better tires for a lower cost. Cooper has at least as good a brand reputation as Goodrich (again, actually made by Coker), and I'd wager so does Hankook. Hankook is taping the specialized labor force in Akron, OH, as the other American MFGs are laying them off. That's smart business.

My 255's went right on to the 6.5 rims with my ancient Atlas changer. No stretching or undo resistance. They look like they were made for them. No bulging sidewalls or crowned tread surface.

If you want to go to the track, I think an affordable drag radial on a spare set of rims is probably the path of least resistance. Maybe even a sticky street/drag tire (like the MT), so you can drive to the track and change them out at home.

Better numbers? For what? A 440 treadwear rating is not better than a 400 unless you’re shopping for a commuter. The higher the number, the harder the compound. Which isn’t better for a performance tire, it’s worse. Less traction. Sure, the tires will last longer, but most people will have to replace their tires on time rather than wear on their classics. You don’t need 60k+ mile tires on a car that gets driven as little as most folks drive their classics, they’re just gonna get tossed at 10 years (or less) with half their tread left.

As for installing 255’s on a 6.5” rim, it’s just a waste of money. Whether you see it or not, the tread is being squeezed down. Measure them if you don’t believe me, I bet they won’t match the specs you see posted by the manufacturer. It probably isn’t much because it’s only a 1/2” narrower rim, but it’ll be something. And unless you installed them by hand with a set of spoons, you’re not going to see any extra resistance. The tire machine is capable of a lot more than that.

-
Back