273 2 360

-

wedgie

Reaction score
Will my 273, oil pan, water pump, pulleys, accessories, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and trans fit a mid 80's 360? what else would be needed to put a 360 in an early "A" body?

You can alter the bolt holes in the 273 crank pulley with a rat tail file and make it work. Everything is different.

Will my 273, oil pan, water pump, pulleys, accessories, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and trans fit a mid 80's 360? what else would be needed to put a 360 in an early "A" body?

If your 360 is basicly complete;

oil pan & Motor mount are a no.

Exhaust manifolds and accesssories, yes, but the bolt holes in the crank pulley will not. 1 hole needs to be filed.

The tranny needs to have a 360 converter or a B&M (or equal) flex plate that has a scalop cut out of it to use the 360 converter with a internal balanced engine. You'll also need a 360 balancer up front.

Oil pan - NO (use a 360 center sump pan).
Water pump - Yes (you will need to use the water pump that matches your radiator).
Pulleys - Yes (slight mods to crank pulley may be needed).
Accessories - Yes, (assuming you went to the earlier style water pump).
Motor mounts - One will, one wont. (you can either modify the stock mount or just get a set of Schumachers).
Exhaust manifolds - Yes (gasket match to the bigger 360 port at a minimum. Stock early A manifolds only support 250 HP or so. Fine on the street, but restrictive at high RPM).

Basically it's a bolt in. One other thing to consider would be the front cover or "timing tab" as the early style water pump puts the lower hose right smack in front of the 360's timing marks.

the oil pan=no..center sump 360 only motor mounts=no....you didnt say if the 273 came out of the early a..if it did the exaust minfolds will fit...but why...too small try dougs headers ..fit like a glove 909 788 4878...again if the 273 came out of the early a than you can use the 273 waterpump and pully,because the radator inlets and out lets will be on the right sides..thats if you are using the 273 radator from the early a on the crank pully you will have to long gate one bolt hole or just use 5 bolts to hold it ...on the motor mounts go with schumacher 206 364 7151..again you didnt say what kind of trans you have ...if its a early 904 yes but this is were it get tricky... the early 904 and 727 up to 66 had smaller in put reacter shaft asysm...so the convetor from the 360 wont work...you could have the convertor from the early 904/727 balance for the 360 ... or you could change the input reacter shaft asysm to a late model asysm ....this way you can use any off the shelf 360 convetor .you can run a late model 904 or 727 (727 WILL BE TIGHT and the fire wall pinch weld will have to be trimed or bent up . no overdrive trans will fit with out modafieing

the trans tunnel and,torsion bar rear saport crosmember...also on65 and earlier the driveshaft will have to be modafied because the early a trans used a trunin insted of a slip yoke.if you want to run a aftermarket stall type convetor you will need a flex plate from B@M or balance the torque convertor for the 360 ...A@A TRANS can help 317 831 3066.........i have done many of these small block transplants in early a and also have a 64 360 dart race car with a early 904 trans...if you need more info you can call me at 575 336 1810 or e mail me at [email protected] luck ps i know my spelling sucks

-
Back