273 2bbl turn into Commando or is 318 better?

-

Martythetrimmer

Reaction score
View attachment 2.1.jpg

I've just bought this 1967 Dodge ute with /6 and 3 speed manual.
I may have the oportunity to buy a 273 2bbl and auto which was an option on these. We never got the Commando version here but they sound interesting. What would be needed to upgrade a 2bbl version to Commando spec's? Would that be a worth while option or do you think a 318 would be better or just more cost efficant? This is to be a daily driver.
Your opinion would be helpful!

Same engine just larger pistons and cheaper to build..keep that forged 273 crank

Unless you going for best mpg I would build a 318--or 340

Or easier yet, do a hotted up slant backed by a 4 or 5 speed.

340's are too hard to find and therefore too expensive here.
318's are easier to get pistons etc than a 273

If the slant is in good condition, a 2 barrel, exhaust, and electronic ignition.
Use a 4 speed from a VH onwards, they will fit the standard bell housing with mods.
Will be nice to drive and good on fuel.
Todd from Tamworth with the gold AP6 ute has this set up, very nice.

Thanks Fingers, I'd thought about a 4 speed behind the slantie. Do you know what mods are needed or is obvious when you look at it?

What year is the 273 64-66 have closed chamber heads but 64-65 have a different intake bolt angle. Build the 318 if the 273 is the right year use the heads, crank and rockers.
268 solid cam, 9.5:1 compression, 1.88-1.60 valves ported heads, headers, Eddy rpm intake and 650 Holley 350+HP.

"All" you gotta do to a 318 is give it more compression and a good cam.
You can almost double the HP with those mods and a good exhaust.

I love the grille in your ute.

I'd like to see one in a 66 Barracuda.

What would be needed to upgrade a 2bbl version to Commando spec's? About the same thing as would be needed to make the 318 interesting, cam, intake, and carb. Both the Commando and the 2-bbl are solid lifter motors. No one is making the cam and single plane intake, so you're left with the inconsistency of the salvage market.

Would that be a worth while option or do you think a 318 would be better or just more cost efficant? As a driver, I think, the 318 would be a better choice. The power is more abundant lower on the rpm band, and unless you really get aggressive with compression, it will run on regular gas. The 318 is also uses hydraulic lifters which means an easier build and less maintenance down the road.

The Commando ran a 10.5:1 compression ratio and used a domed piston. If you're looking to create an authentic Commando where none were delivered, your parts are coming from here. The pistons are available in reproduction ($$$s)

You'll have the advantage of a wider choice of components for the 318. You may find a local stocking outlet for the carb. Since Mopar doesn't seem to have a big presence in Australia, like Holden and Ford, you'll probably have to come to the US for the intake and cam. All the US retailers want is your money and a satisfied customer.

Very intersting ute. Good luck & G'day mate.

I agree with 2Darts.

I think those things are cute as hell. "What Mopar should have built" (in the states.)

I once had a Falcon Ranchero, the "pre mini truck".

(those wheels-tires have to go) Come on, get with it, lol

I only got it yesturday!! lol

But yes, the wheels are going once the front is changed to late disc's. The 16 x 8's with 225/45's from my current daily are going on.

Three years ago I bought a 63 Dart with a 65 273. My first thought was to throw out the motor and try to find a 340. But then I got hold of a gem, an Eddy D4B intake. It made me completely change track, now I have built a 273 Chager +. The differences between me and the original 273 Chager are:
- Eddy D4D dual plane intake .
- Eddy 600 cfm carb
- Electronic ignition
- Headers
- Shaper cam.
If I'd like to save money, I'd gone for a 318, but now I have something that nobody else in Sweden has. It makes me thoroughly satisfied.

Thanks Fingers, I'd thought about a 4 speed behind the slantie. Do you know what mods are needed or is obvious when you look at it?

Trying to remember what Todd told me, but from memory it was weld on a lug then drill and tap 3 bolt holes.
If you are not in a big hurry, I can check, as I have a 4 speed in storage, and a slant 3 speed bell housing. It's just they are about 100 km away.
I have been wondering much the same as you, for my VC ute. Mine isn't as nice as yours though.

The Edelbrock performer 318 and their 600 CFM carb are almost a perfect match for the 318. They are also easy to find and relatively cheap. Within the last year I bought the intake used for $60 and a "ran when pulled last week" carb, also for $60.

At those kinds of prices you could pay for shipping!

I bett you could get them new, but they are over $200 each that way.

I have a running 318 that already has the same intake and carb, and when I swapped the carb out for the one I just bought, it fired right up.

With those parts, you will see a moderate permormance gian, but not overload the factory cam. However, you can still put in a moderate cam (like a .450 ish lift) and still be in the range of the carb and intake.

Headers and duals will get you another increase.

Put it all together and you've added about 100 HP, and still not gotten into any head work. I'd reccoment 302 heads, or a complete 86 and up roller cam 302 head motor, as they are IMO, actually a better starting point than earlier mills.

-
Back