273 alternator bracket

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the alternator bracket setup on a 273 v8 the same as on the later 318,360 etc. ? If not , does anyone have a pic of theirs? my 66 cuda alternator is not installed properly and looks like something is missing? Thanks

Here's a shot from scamp408

Hot pockets 001.jpg

Thanks. That looks better. Mine is jacked straight up over top of the water pump. Guess I need a new bracket.

I am pretty sure I have a spare set of those brackets, let me know if you need them! I need to recoup some of my rear-end spendings! LOL

Anybody using aftermarket valve covers that had a problem with the bracket hitting valve cover where the 2 bolts mount to the head??? I am using M/T covers and it doesnt seem to fit like the pics, i am stumped????

Jake

That "Overkill" of a alternator bracket disappeared after 66. I can see it hitting aftermarket cast rocker covers. The 67 and later brackets should work for you.
There was also a similar complex bracket that went more under the alt' toward the fuel pump where aluminum water pump and dual belts carried alt' and a/c You may not need all that though. Simple 67 type brackets would work. Avail. chromed from aftermarket too. Hope this helps

Mancini and Bouchellon both carry the 67-69 style alt attaching brackets and bolts if you decide to go that way...

Anybody using aftermarket valve covers that had a problem with the bracket hitting valve cover where the 2 bolts mount to the head??? I am using M/T covers and it doesnt seem to fit like the pics, i am stumped????

Jake

Yes - had to file the front edge of the Mopar Performance valve cover to clear the bracket on Jake's 65... Had to do the same to the rear of the driver side cover to clear the factory kickdown bracket as well....

That "Overkill" of a alternator bracket disappeared after 66. I can see it hitting aftermarket cast rocker covers. The 67 and later brackets should work for you.
There was also a similar complex bracket that went more under the alt' toward the fuel pump where aluminum water pump and dual belts carried alt' and a/c You may not need all that though. Simple 67 type brackets would work. Avail. chromed from aftermarket too. Hope this helps

Mancini and Bouchellon both carry the 67-69 style alt attaching brackets and bolts if you decide to go that way...

Yes - had to file the front edge of the Mopar Performance valve cover to clear the bracket on Jake's 65... Had to do the same to the rear of the driver side cover to clear the factory kickdown bracket as well....

Thanks guys!! I was looking around and saw the 67 and up set, just wondering if i was missing something.

Jake

Jake

xLURKxDOGx... if you want, I can machine a nice smooth notch in your valve cover, or neatly machine the "Over Kill" alternator bracket for you... Just "options"...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

xLURKxDOGx... if you want, I can machine a nice smooth notch in your valve cover, or neatly machine the "Over Kill" alternator bracket for you... Just "options"...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Thanks! I just took a grinder to the bracket and made it really ugly looking, nothing that black paint cant fix.................

:eek:ops:

I have 2 of those 1965 brackets. One I even cleaned and painted, then didn't use because I changed to a later aluminum water pump. Ended up using chrome triangle bracket and arm (~$17 ebay, I recall). It is fairly easy to position the alternator axially, using round spacers on the pivot bolt. I used purty chrome spacers from Ace.

-
Back