273 auto trying to find the 'tick'

-
Try to find a flywheel that goes with that bell housing. That's a '64-6 273 bell that came with the 9 1/2" clutch and small flywheel. If you have a slant 6 flywheel, You may be able to get most of the flywheel bolts to fit into the crank. The flywheel bolt pattern is different than a V8, and I've never actually tried to mount one, but, worth a try if it will work. Even if you can only get 3 of them in, if they're staggered a bit, it will work good enough for your test. Keep in mind that the '67 and earlier slant 6 had a smaller diameter center hole than the '68 and later (and V8's), so, don't go buying one until you get the specs.

finally some pics...

This is the bracket he bought. It didn't fit but it gives you the idea of what i will make once i identify the flywheel he has. The second pic is the template he made to use to make the bracket. Dunno what the first bracket fits but shares 3/5 holes. The third pic shows the other holes lining up. The last pic is of dudes template on what i believe to be a small block bell.

View attachment 1715790564

View attachment 1715790565

View attachment 1715790566

View attachment 1715790567

View attachment 1715790568
Cast bellhousing, 9 1/2" clutch and 122 tooth flywheel. Aluminum bell= 10 1/2" clutch and 130 tooth flywheel.

There are a lot of places where a tick noise can come from. The flap in the right manifold is one of them. Exhaust gas pressure constantly changes from one bank to the other.
This thread reminds me of a episode of Andy Griffin. The entire car was disassembled and put back together inside the court house because the owner wasn't happy with it.
A "tick" is not a knock. Good hunting though.

Here's the bracket i made to mount starter on 273 per dudes instruction. I lent him a slant six flywheel that will line up 4 bolt holes.... enough to start it and locate tick or eliminate that it's engine. Ill check back once the tick has been diagnosed or with new info.

Thanks again fellas.
20210916_113446.jpg

-
Back