273 back-lash

-

indian

Reaction score
got a 64 dart gt with a 67 273 in it I have looked on old threads and cant find out how to adjust valves on this. im a novice any help would be appreciated.

I always use wheat is known as "EOIC"

This means "Exhaust Opening, Intake Closing," and works on everything from a 1 cyl Briggs to a V16 whatever

This is how you do this

If the valve lash is specified warm, warm the engine up properly, get your tools laid out, and get the wiring, etc, laid so you can quickly remove a valve cover.

I do one bank at a time, and you can reinstall that cover when done and re-warm the engine again if necessary

So warm it up and remove one cover.

Bump or wrench the engine over until..........

The EXHAUST valve just starts to OPEN and adjust that intake valve.

Then bump / wrench it over until the INTAKE opens completely, and is almost CLOSED and adjust that exhaust valve

Another good way --on V8s which have this firing order-- is "the chart..........."

Measure around the balancer to obtain the circumference, and divide it up so you can mark it at 90 degree intervals

312P4452989.jpg

I use a feeler the size you need for the lash, and one about .002" larger. A "go -no go" type deal

I always use wheat is known as "EOIC"

This means "Exhaust Opening, Intake Closing," and works on everything from a 1 cyl Briggs to a V16 whatever

This is how you do this

If the valve lash is specified warm, warm the engine up properly, get your tools laid out, and get the wiring, etc, laid so you can quickly remove a valve cover.

I do one bank at a time, and you can reinstall that cover when done and re-warm the engine again if necessary

So warm it up and remove one cover.

Bump or wrench the engine over until..........

The EXHAUST valve just starts to OPEN and adjust that intake valve.

Then bump / wrench it over until the INTAKE opens completely, and is almost CLOSED and adjust that exhaust valve

Another good way --on V8s which have this firing order-- is "the chart..........."

Measure around the balancer to obtain the circumference, and divide it up so you can mark it at 90 degree intervals

312P4452989.jpg

I use a feeler the size you need for the lash, and one about .002" larger. A "go -no go" type deal

The EOIC method is so simple!

thank you for your help. the reason for asking is engine was rebuilt just broke 6000 miles when setting up re-build with shop was asked weather I wanted adjustable or hydraulic requested hydraulic but got adjustable and did not go back for another adjustment on valves. started puffing smoke out of passenger side exhaust,used a qt. of oil in 80 miles no noise go compression do you think oil loss and smoke result of valve adjustment???? thanks indian

thank you for your help. the reason for asking is engine was rebuilt just broke 6000 miles when setting up re-build with shop was asked weather I wanted adjustable or hydraulic requested hydraulic but got adjustable and did not go back for another adjustment on valves. started puffing smoke out of passenger side exhaust,used a qt. of oil in 80 miles no noise go compression do you think oil loss and smoke result of valve adjustment???? thanks indian

No

shop asked weather I wanted adjustable or hydraulic requested hydraulic but got adjustable and did not go back for another adjustment on valves.

Just because you have adjustable rockers, doesn't mean you don't have hydraulic lifters.

No on the smoke.

Do u have oil pressure gauge ? If so what's the reading?
Badsport is right u may have adj rockers and solid lifters .
A quart in 80 miles??? Something ain't right !!

Possible broken ring. A compression test or a cylinder leakage test might be in order.

Possible broken ring. A compression test or a cylinder leakage test might be in order.

At any rate, misadjusted valves won't have any effect on oil consumption. Running, yeah, but no oil consumption.

sorry I ment to say good compression 120 within 5 pounds on all . I noticed it when coming back from trip around 500 miles, running a little ruff pulled plugs on pass. side 2 fouled out replaced all runs good except oil loss and smoke. could it be valve seals??

-Which 2 were fouled and what did the other 2 look like? Has it been seriously overheated? Is the engine receiving clean air? was the compression test done with all plugs out? Is your PCV system working properly?
-Its possible that the intake is sucking air/oil from the valley, or
-You have at least 2 cylinders with problems.The even compression says that at least the top rings may be good and the valves too. In order of likelyhood, that just leaves: 1)oil rings, 2)valve seals, 3)choke stuck on/ contaminated oil/ fuel wash, 4)Gouged cylinder wall near bottom of cylinder.
-Its also possible,I suppose, that at 120psi, all the rings are worn out. Your rate of oil consumption kinda points this way.
-Again; check the crankcase pressure.

-
Back