273 Build

-
7 years ago

Old tread but thanks so much it was a joy to read threw , how great is it to see all the steps and all the joy it brought to everyone watching , you should be proud : family , job and still the passion to build such a great sounding rig . Im sure its a fun ride.

A 861 Power Pack option. That's what it is!
I have had a few of you ask me to keep up on my 273 build. I have butted in other peoples threads from time to time with comments and a photo or two. It's time start from the beginning with the story and photos. I am far from done at this point. The heads are near finished and I have lots of clean up and bead blasting to do. I hope to clean my garage this weekend and possibly begin work on the short block. (frost plugs, oil galley plugs, etc) Then comes the crank and pistons and rods as time allows. Oops, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Last fall I pulled the drive train and began disassembling and cleaning. I didn't know what a gungy mess everything was until it was out of the car in the daylight. A lot of scraping,engine degreaser and a trip to the car wash got the most of it. When I took things apart I was surprised to find 2 different casting #
heads. One was an original late 65 head and the other was a 66 head and one of the rods had a 12/72 stamped bearing set. A little oops got fixed in 1973 apparently.

View attachment 138856

View attachment 138857

View attachment 138858

View attachment 138859

View attachment 138860
Nice, you've got the right idea!

A 861 Power Pack option. That's what it is!
I have had a few of you ask me to keep up on my 273 build. I have butted in other peoples threads from time to time with comments and a photo or two. It's time start from the beginning with the story and photos. I am far from done at this point. The heads are near finished and I have lots of clean up and bead blasting to do. I hope to clean my garage this weekend and possibly begin work on the short block. (frost plugs, oil galley plugs, etc) Then comes the crank and pistons and rods as time allows. Oops, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Last fall I pulled the drive train and began disassembling and cleaning. I didn't know what a gungy mess everything was until it was out of the car in the daylight. A lot of scraping,engine degreaser and a trip to the car wash got the most of it. When I took things apart I was surprised to find 2 different casting #
heads. One was an original 66 head and the other was a 67 head and one of the rods had a 12/72 stamped bearing set. A little oops got fixed in 1973 apparently.

View attachment 138856

View attachment 138857

View attachment 138858

View attachment 138859

View attachment 138860
SWEET! There's a lot of sweat in that kinda work. Thanks for the photos.

I bought a Isky E-4 cam which will stay with the solid lifters and stock adjustable rockers. MVRcorp here on Fabo has a E-4 in his 273. Here's a link .

[ame="[URL][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKlIiP43cVo&feature=related"]YouTube-[/URL][/URL] 67 Dart[/ame]

At 3:25 on the second video is the engine running. Nice 67 there Jim!
[ame="[URL][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-eN2xZi65g&feature=related"]YouTube-[/URL][/URL] Jim's Car[/ame]
Good call. I ran a 230/230 .485 solid in a 9;1 four speed 289 powered 64 panel (Falcon). 3.55 205/14 60. It would spin up so hard I swore the pushrods were going to balst out of the valve covers. There was a power pack build published some time ago. Decent power! good luck!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're as excited as me. LOL You have a great combo going there.
I was seriously thinking about a bigger cam for mine but I was impressed at the Isky E4's power and torque for a cam that's pretty close to the stock cam. Schneider has a good looking flat tappet cam #14202 (264/480/110) that would
be my second choice. http://www.flatlanderracing.com/ (scroll down to flat tappet cams). That might be something for you to try. Mike
Schneider is in the know! He ground me a decent solid 142 F 284/284 .513 I believe. Great throttle response with 308 heads.

Hey, I just noticed something. The part number for the intake is for a 66 with CAP (Clean air package). I believe the car was ordered by a young man in the service stationed in the NW. (Washington/Oregon) but the car was made in
Hamtramck. Any ideas?
toolman mike,
Your VIN and Fender Tag should tell if your car was sold new in California. Do not know the difference between the 49 State and CAP Intake other than the casting.
The firewall makes me think you have an early 1966 Dart.

toolman mike,
Your VIN and Fender Tag should tell if your car was sold new in California. Do not know the difference between the 49 State and CAP Intake other than the casting.
The firewall makes me think you have an early 1966 Dart.
It was sold new in Washington or Oregon. I would need to look at the owner's manual but it's not handy right now. Interesting that the intake was CAP but plugged and the valve cover breather was standard non CAP as well as the chrome air cleanser. Al are thought to believe to be original to the car.

Bonjour,

Je suis captivé par votre sujet. Avez-vous constaté des résultats positifs après que le mécanicien a travaillé sur votre voiture ? De plus, pourriez-vous me dire combien de temps cela a pris pour effectuer les réparations ? J'aimerais envisager une procédure similaire pour ma propre voiture.

merci

Bézahlile

View attachment 1716156350
Would You Please Translate From French to English?

From a French to English translation thingy....

Hello

I am captivated by your subject. Have you seen any positive results after the mechanic has worked on your car? Also, could you tell me how long it took to complete the repairs? I would like to consider a similar procedure for my own car.

Thank you

Bézahlile

:thumbsup:

From a French to English translation thingy....

Hello

I am captivated by your subject. Have you seen any positive results after the mechanic has worked on your car? Also, could you tell me how long it took to complete the repairs? I would like to consider a similar procedure for my own car.

Thank you

Bézahlile

:thumbsup:
From the English to reality translator.

"Hello, I'm a spammer looking for something to steal from you guys."

Good job, keep us posted it's very interesting. I rebuild my 1965 273 commando 4 years ago with a 1972 340 crank and .030 over piston and stock crank balancer. No problem with the converter since it's a 4 speeds car. The car run good and I put a lot of miles on it during summer time. Is anyone know if someone make a performance intake for 273 with the odds angle bolt.

Good job, keep us posted it's very interesting. I rebuild my 1965 273 commando 4 years ago with a 1972 340 crank and .030 over piston and stock crank balancer. No problem with the converter since it's a 4 speeds car. The car run good and I put a lot of miles on it during summer time. Is anyone know if someone make a performance intake for 273 with the odds angle bolt.
Not any more. Nothing produced now days. A stock manifold 65 only, an old Offenhauser, or a D4B Edelbrock. You can always rework the bolt holes of a 66 and newer intake.

Love the 66. I have a beautiful set of Mr. Gasket NOS, in the box black wrinkle and aluminum valve covers that would look sweet on there. Just incase you don't have something to use. Just a thought. :)

Love the 66. I have a beautiful set of Mr. Gasket NOS, in the box black wrinkle and aluminum valve covers that would look sweet on there. Just incase you don't have something to use. Just a thought. :)
So ur wanting to sell a set of Commando Valve covers?

Well,been awhile since I’ve seen this thread, currently finished another 273 for my 66 Valiant.

35E32B39-6770-4F8D-852C-1ECB3A87A2B3.jpeg

7ECFF667-5769-4D91-B6C8-C31C6D02DF1B.jpeg

I also picked a 1952 Dodge truck several years ago. It’s running a 330 Desoto Hemi. I’m currently looking for a home for this 241 Dodge

AC95AF7A-7414-4434-B230-74FD8ECD4ABB.jpeg

-
Back