273 cam plate bolt

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I am putting a timing chain in a 66 273 that I bought to put in the 65 Barracuda so I can drive it this summer. I noticed that it didn’t have a cam plate bolt with a hole in it. It doesn’t appear to have been apart before. I checked a 65 273 that I know has been rebuilt and none of the bolts on it have the hole. Did these early LA motors not have this and how did they oil the chain and fuel pump eccentric?

Theres a slinger of sorts. If you look just under the big gear,left i believe the tab directs the slung oil onto the chain,in turn lubricating the eccentric.
AA4995A1-9684-42C8-BC37-33F5116E2853.jpeg

Picture loses some resolution,is hard to see.

I would drill a hole through a bolt while I'm there. Or maybe even ask for a factory drilled bolt and the sheet metal drip leg from a later model donor.

You can drill a 1/64" hole in the front galley plug and in the cam retailer. I ll post a picture in a bit.

Page 2 post 49 of my engine build thread. The link is below.

I am putting a timing chain in a 66 273 that I bought to put in the 65 Barracuda so I can drive it this summer. I noticed that it didn’t have a cam plate bolt with a hole in it. It doesn’t appear to have been apart before. I checked a 65 273 that I know has been rebuilt and none of the bolts on it have the hole. Did these early LA motors not have this and how did they oil the chain and fuel pump eccentric?

In some cases the factory only used three bolts and left the top one out for the oil hole....

if you leave out bolt it will loose oil pressure. mopar , used 3 bolts, and installed plugs at end of oil galley. just drill out a bolt and install it, also, the crank slinger does oil the chain and fuel eccentric.

I have only seen the bolt with the hole on 340’s and High Performance 360’s with double roller timing chains. 273’s just had 4 bolts. Later small blocks had 3 bolts and a drip tab. Having retired from building engines, except my own, I have not seen plugs in the oil galleries, but know they did come that way on later engines.

-
Back