273 camshaft help?

-

67'barracuda273

Reaction score
so I've been working on restoring my 67' cuda fastback for a couple years now and we have ran into a standstill on the valvetrain issues. From what I was told when I bought it, it was overhauled but the work was less than reputable (all main bearing bolts were hand tight) and I cant seem to find the reason for a clatter in the top end. We've already replaced the gears and chain and adjusted the valves to stock setting 10 times over. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a left field idea...............the rockers aren't hitting the inside of the valve covers are they?

Another thought comes to mind..........the retainers aren't hitting the guides are they??

Lot's of places for a wrongly assembled engine to make noise. This one is going to be very difficult to diagnose over the internet. I wouldn't trust any of the work the guy did if he is as half assed as you describe. To do it right, I would pull it back out and go through it to make sure everything is correct. Sorry! tmm

Is it possible that the rocker shafts were installed with the oil holes going the wrong way? How do the insides of the rockers look, are the all galled up?

Lot's of places for a wrongly assembled engine to make noise. This one is going to be very difficult to diagnose over the internet. I wouldn't trust any of the work the guy did if he is as half assed as you describe. To do it right, I would pull it back out and go through it to make sure everything is correct. Sorry! tmm

Agreed. I personally would never feel good about this motor until I completely had gone through it

Thanks for the ideas guys, I have not pulled the cam yet but that's my next move, the rockers don't hit the valve covers because It still makes noise when the covers are off. Does anyone know what the stock duration/lift specs are for the 273?

273 2 barrel through 67 Mechanical 395/405 240/240
273 2 barrel 68-69 Hydraulic 373/400 240/248
273 4 barrel Mechanical 415/425 248/248

Are you sure that you're not confusing the sound of the solid lifters, they "tick" normally. 67 273's have solid lifter cams stock.

Just a thought,

Some Engine Rebuilders would reverse the Pistons on the 273, for less piston wall
friction.

Unfortunately, you get some piston-slap in the skirt areas.

That noise will 'never' go away.

Solid lifters should not make noise if adjusted correctly, especially anything in the stock range. How are you adjusting them? Hot and running or with a chart?

Stop by the parts store and get a stethoscope. Napa has one for less than $10. You can run the engine and zero in on where the noise is the loudest. tmm

Solid lifters should not make noise if adjusted correctly, especially anything in the stock range. How are you adjusting them? Hot and running or with a chart?

I don't know who in hell told you this NOT TRUE

273 solid tappets MOST CERTAINLY make some noise when running. No, they don't clank like an old Duntov or Chev 409, no. But they do make "some sound"

The little regrind I used to run was run right at .020--.020. With cast aluminum covers, it made a "pleasant sound" that could be heard with the hood closed.

I've run them for 40 years, stock and not so stock, .013H intake and .021H exhaust typically. All those slant six cars, not so much noise. Just started our "67" 273, valvetrain is quiet. How do you adjust your valves?

-
Back