273 comando non Formula S?

-
Yes, definitely......my old '67 Barracuda convertible did. Even had the suspension and disc brakes.

I think so. Just depends on what boxes were checked. I have a 66 Valiant Signet that's a factory Commando 273/auto.

And have seen several cars that were 273 Commandos, but not Formula S.

Yes I have a 1965 that has Commando emblems and everythng the same as an S except the tach and sure-grip. Mine matches the fender tag also.

The 273 is the same on the fender tag, but the code for Formula S (which I do not know) is not there.

My old 66 had all the "S" items checked individually with the addition of disc brakes.

The 273 four barrel was available in ANY A-body from 65-67 EXCEPT wagons...

No the fender tag would have a code for a 2 barrel 180 HP V8 (I think 31)and a different code for the 4 barrel commando engine (32). The VIN would have a "D" for either engine. I know for 66 there would be the round Formula S badge on the front fender but a non- formula S would have a rectangular "commando V8" emblem just in front of the door.

In 1967,

Definitely.

My mother bought a 'new' 67' Fastback, with a 273 Commando, 4-Speed
with 8 3/4" rear with 3.23 Sure-Grip.

Sticker Price...........$2940

Bucket Seats and Console, all Drum Brakes.

It came thru with the 'Performance Group', which was,
* 8 3/4" Rear-End
* Firm-Ride Shocks
* 6-Leaf Rear Springs
* Front Anti-Roll Bar

Would a 66 valiant carry the commando v8 emblem as well in the location noted if so equipped such as B-onefan's valiant?

My 65 cuda is a commando V8 car with dealer air, drum brakes, no sway bars, auto trans, no stripes or formula S badges.

The 66 Valiant with a V8 would have a badge that says either "Commando V8" or one the same shape that says "V Eight". The six cylinder cars would not have any engine emblems.

1967 Barracuda, 273 Commando, {non Formula S}

Lower front fender, just in front of the door.

'Commando V8'

1966 and 1967 {Front Fender Emblems}

I have seen them with the v-eight or the commando v8. On the 2 bbl cars, they put the v-eight emblems. On the passenger side of my car, the previous owner had put bondo over all the emblem holes. Why, I don't know. They put bondo over the paint, no grinding or welding. It is all the original paint and body parts. I found a Commando V-8 emblem, with broke tabs in the floorboard. The drivers side was missing with indications they also tried to remove it with a putty knife or scraper.

I also have a 65 Barracuda that is a 273 2bbl/auto. It has drum brakes, stripe, and V-8 emblems of the front of the fenders. Same with the 65 Valiant 4 door. 273 2bbl/ with factory 4 speed. Both are the V-8 with the checkers.

in 1965 ?

In 1965 the Barracuda Formula S should show "31" under the letters "AB" on the second row of the fender tag indicating a 235 HP 273 CI (4 bbl) engine. It should also show a "2" under the letter "C" which designates the Formula S package. If the second row of the tag shows "30" under the letters "AB" it is a 180 HP 273 CI (2 bbl) engine. The Formula S designator under the letter "C" is only true for cars from the 1965 model year.

My books show the 273-4 to be available on everything except the wagons. n 65 & 66, the VIN engine code is D for both of the 273 V-8s. In 1967, the 2 bbl kept the D designation, while the 4 bbl had an E.

There don't appear to be any mandatory options or package options with the 273-4. My '66 Dart GT 273-4, did not have the rally pack (Formula S equivalent), so it had no front sway bar or heavier springs, but did have front disk brakes separately optioned. It was an automatic car, so it also had a 7¼ rear axle.

The 273-4 was n/a with the standard 3 speed manual. The Torqueflite or 4-speed were required.

518241757_o.jpg

Mine is another one... 67 Barracuda fastback, not Formula S, 273 Commando, HD suspension, disk brakes -- all selected as individual options on the order.

My 67 fast back was a 273 comando car not an "S" car . Came with comando badges on the fenders 727 tranny and a 7.25 open rear end. And 10 drums front and back.
Go figure.

A little more horse power and cosmetic touches to the 273, a special exhaust note, and a fender badge is the extent of Commando group.
Formula S is a performance package that included many more differences.

-
Back