Not open for further replies.

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Contact seller
As it states in the title .040 or bigger . I see 2bbl pistons on ebay . Are all commandos .030 over bore? We have two 273's and both are original you can tell they were never apart. Both are .030 over.

So, You have 2 two 273's that are .030 over and now you want a third one that is .040 over correct?

As it states in the title .040 or bigger . I see 2bbl pistons on ebay . Are all commandos .030 over bore? We have two 273's and both are original you can tell they were never apart. Both are .030 over.
To the best of my knowledge, Chrysler never offered .030 pistons. They went from .020 to .040
Aftermarket had .030 replacement pistons.

If they are .030 over, there's your proof they've been apart. They came standard from the factory.

I
If they are .030 over, there's your proof they've been apart. They came standard from the factory.
In reality I would say you are correct. If true they were done to perfection. The first one bought from the original owners car we tore down was out of a car that sat for over 35 years. This motor doesn't look like it was ever taken apart. Just strange to see the same pistons in these motors from original cars.

Did they come with Domed pistons as I have been reading? These are not domed they are flat tops with valve reliefs.

100_0495.JPG

100_0496.JPG

100_0497.JPG

106_0298.JPG

106_0299.JPG

100_0505.JPG

100_0506.JPG

I

In reallity I would say you are correct. If true they were done to perfection. The first one bought from the original owner we tore down was out of a car that sat for over 35 years. This motor doesn't look like it was ever taken apart. Just strange to see the same pistons in these motors from original cars.

Did they come with Domed pistons as I have been reading. These are not domed they are flat tops with valve reliefs.

View attachment 1715647477

View attachment 1715647478

View attachment 1715647479

View attachment 1715647480

View attachment 1715647481

View attachment 1715647482

View attachment 1715647483

I know on some engines, there are special marks that indicate a different size than standard. Like the Maltese cross for example, indicates an under size crankshaft. have yall looked those engines over for some unusual markings like that? I've also seen engines I KNOW were virgin tear downs that had rods marked with playing card characters. Clubs, spades, hearts and diamonds. So who knows? Yall may be on to somethin.

I

In reality I would say you are correct. If true they were done to perfection. The first one bought from the original owners car we tore down was out of a car that sat for over 35 years. This motor doesn't look like it was ever taken apart. Just strange to see the same pistons in these motors from original cars.

Did they come with Domed pistons as I have been reading. These are not domed they are flat tops with valve reliefs.

View attachment 1715647477

View attachment 1715647478

View attachment 1715647479

View attachment 1715647480

View attachment 1715647481

View attachment 1715647482

View attachment 1715647483
Those are the 8.5:1 low compression pistons. The 10.5:1 look like this:
Never say never, it could be possible for Ma Mopar to mess up on machining a block and purposely overbore it to save it. Highly doubtful but you never know.

09_24_0.JPEG

010700_1422[00].jpg

010700_1801[00].jpg

010700_1802[00].jpg

Last edited:
I cant see factory trying to salvage a Commando block that was messed up on machining and slapping in low comp pistons. Maybe on a 2bl engine.

I cant see factory trying to salvage a Commando block that was messed up on machining and slapping in low comp pistons. Maybe on a 2bl engine.
You may be right , Replacement 2bb. engines. Did the 2 bbl engines have valve reliefs? The pistons picture above are what we want. That is what my son noticed they had no dome. I wrote the info from the block down . I'll get it later and post it. They are both dated 1966

Last edited:
You may be right , Replacement 2bb. engines. Did the 2 bbl engines have valve reliefs? The pistons picture above are what we want. That is what my son noticed they had no dome. I wrote the info from the block down . I get it later and post it. They are both dated 1966
None of the numbers on the block will tell you if it's a 4 barrel or not. That information is on the fender tag and build sheet though as far as what it was supposed to have when it left the factory. Egge has the 2 barrel pistons as well as the 4 barrel ones.

Egge L2221 for 2 barrel and L2222 for the 4 barrel
Who is egge and what bore size does he have? These are for todd he has two blocks here but they are already .030 over. We want a fresh bore.

One other question do the domed pistons clear the close chambered heads?

Who is egge and what bore size does he have? These are for todd he has two blocks here but they are already .030 over. We want a fresh bore.

One other question do the domed pistons clear the close chambered heads?
Egge is a company that makes engine parts for a lot of different brands. Just type Egge L2221 or Egge L2222 in Google. They will come right up on their website. Yes. The domed pistons are copies of the original high compression pistons and will work perfect with the original closed chamber heads.

Yes those with the valve reliefs are 2bl pistons. All of the 273 blocks started life out the same. They didnt differentiate between 2bl and 4bl at that point from the factory.
We would have put EGGE pistons in ours, but cost would have been close to $1k to our doorstep in Canuckistan.
I have since found and bought a used set. I hope to build around someday lol.
TMM has you pointed in right direction.
There was a guy on here that bought a new commando rotating assembly I had never heard of before?? Not sure where that thread is...
You may be right , Replacement 2bb. engines. Did the 2 bbl engines have valve reliefs? The pistons picture above are what we want. That is what my son noticed they had no dome. I wrote the info from the block down . I'll get it later and post it. They are both dated 1966

Yes those with the valve reliefs are 2bl pistons. All of the 273 blocks started life out the same. They didnt differentiate between 2bl and 4bl at that point from the factory.
We would have put EGGE pistons in ours, but cost would have been close to $1k to our doorstep in Canuckistan.
I have since found and bought a used set. I hope to build around someday lol.
TMM has you pointed in right direction.
There was a guy on here that bought a new commando rotating assembly I had never heard of before?? Not sure where that thread is...
These are the other ones I was thinking of. Rebuilders Choice. Good thing I bookmarked the post. 273 Commando Piston Dome Volume

I dont see pistons on their site, but OMM should give them a call. I think the used set I bought are .030 over..not sure. I should send our orig block in for cleanup before he retires....
Agreed, you should NEVER have tossed them.......
Home - Rebuilder's Choice Rebuilder's Choice
LOL Great minds think alike! Good to see a stock piston pictured there. I tossed mine away. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back