273 Commando Engine Clone

-
Hell, do a 360 with some mild intake porting on the 273 int, cam it properly and have a Commando torque monster :thumbsup:
My car currently has a 360 in it that I did head porting and running an isky racing cam. Just wanting to for a more factory kinda if “what of Plymouth raced in a 65 Barracuda in the Trans am series.

I’m kinda wanting to do a what if build on my 65 cuda. A what if Plymouth went Trans Am racing and used the 65 Barracuda. I’m looking at building a high reving 273 commando/ 4spd.
They did.

upload_2020-11-25_3-16-11.jpeg

upload_2020-11-25_3-13-45.jpeg

img150 (1).jpg

img156.jpg

From what I gather the 273 Commando was built right out of the factory as a high reving performance engine, stock.

You can get the Commando/Charger 235 hp cam a couple of places. Racer Brown can grind one close, I just ordered one. I think Cam Craft has one also. The Commando/Charger cam is very small, .415 intake lift and 203 duration @ .050 with .425 exhaust lift and 207 duration @ .050. All 273 engines had solid cams and rocker gear from 1964 through 1967.

Commando/Charger 273's came with a Prestolite dual point distributor, Single plane intake, AFB 4 barrel carb, cam, valve springs, 10.5 pistons, 2.50 OD straight thru single exhaust, unsilenced chrome air cleaner, and the black krinkle valve covers with aluminum fins and spark plug wire holders.

I would not run 10.5:1 pistons on the street today. We built a flat top piston Commando 273 with the Isky E-4 cam with no extra parts that made 266 hp on the Dyno.

Last edited:
You can get the Commando/Charger 235 hp cam a couple of places. Racer Brown can grind one close, I just ordered one. I think Cam Craft has one also. The Commando/Charger cam is very small, .415 intake lift and 203 duration @ .050 with .425 exhaust lift and 207 duration @ .050. All 273 engines had solid cams and rocker gear from 1964 through 1967.

Commando/Charger 273's came with a Prestolite dual point distributor, Single plane intake, AFB 4 barrel carb, cam, valve springs, 10.5 pistons, unsilenced chrome air cleaner, and the black krinkle valve covers with aluminum fins and spark plug wire holders.

I would not run 10.5:1 pistons on the street today. We built a flat top piston Commando 273 with the Isky E-4 cam with no extra parts that made 266 hp on the Dyno.

Thanks for the run down. We cheer for the underdog.

Thought that made pretty good power for a 273 cu. in.

Ma Mopar turning them on back in the day.

Commando/Charger 273's came with a Prestolite dual point distributor, Single plane intake, AFB 4 barrel carb, cam, valve springs, 10.5 pistons, unsilenced chrome air cleaner, and the black krinkle valve covers with aluminum fins and spark plug wire holders.

Is there a reason 10.5:1 is not recommend for the street ?

Hell, do a 360 with some mild intake porting on the 273 int, cam it properly and have a Commando torque monster :thumbsup:
Or a 408 with a Strip Dominator intake and EQ heads, dressed to look like a 273. :steering:

(How is there no burnout smilie on this forum.)

With the head gaskets bore size available today there no issue running the 10.5 pistons, you can only get around 9.2 or so out of it.
Been running mine for 3 years now with no problem or detonation issues, on 87 pump gas only.

With the head gaskets bore size available today there no issue running the 10.5 pistons, you can only get around 9.2 or so out of it.
Been running mine for 3 years now with no problem or detonation issues, on 87 pump gas only.

I usually go the other route. I use the 2 barrel flat top pistons and mill the heads to get where I want to be. Most of my cars run premium gas anyway so I'm used to the extra expense.

-
Back