273 exh. manifold conical washers?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
nutha question!? in the box of parts if got! there are 8 conical washers, enough for the 8 short exh man. bolts. but is that where they go, or do all bolts need the conical washer? or what.!? I have FSM manual, they somehow figure I know everything!!??? LOL ( at least something! LOL)///

at least i'm not dealing with the 340 exh. man. sleeve nuts!!!?? LOL thanks for the help. stop in next summer for a beer or this winter for a hot cup of coffee..

I'm fairly certain they all get one, someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

The cone/hollow faces in, they are designed to spread out the clamping force.

The cone washer should just be on the outer exhaust manifold studs. A total of 4 of them on one car.

Well, I must beg to differ with Ulf, although I know he is very knowledgeable! The car I'm working on, which is an original commando car, has the conical washer on every bolt, but none on the outside studs!! That's 4 per side, which would double the total offered by Ulf! The outer studs on mine have lock washers under the nut, and the stud is not long enough to put the conical washer under and have many threads for the nut! ! TSB on this anyone??

wow!!!! I do appreciate the advice... just don't know the answer yet!!! LOL! I have 8 cone washers in the bucket of parts off this jewel! but that means nothing since the p o lost a LONG list of STUFF!!!! LOL I did get the engine dropping in while ago, ..... if it was easy women and children would be doing it....WAIT a minute some women DO!!!!!!! how old do ya have to be to be a child!?????

Well, I must beg to differ with Ulf, although I know he is very knowledgeable! The car I'm working on, which is an original commando car, has the conical washer on every bolt, but none on the outside studs!! That's 4 per side, which would double the total offered by Ulf! The outer studs on mine have lock washers under the nut, and the stud is not long enough to put the conical washer under and have many threads for the nut! ! TSB on this anyone??

Cosgig!

You are right! I checked the partsbook. Part number 2121 233 is the conical washer. According to the book there should be 4 washers "exhaust manifold screw" and 4 washers "exhaust manifold strut nut. Since my car was untouched I used the number that was on it. I friend of mine had a 1965 with 12 washers on!!

Just disassembled an original 318 from 69 and it had them on the 4 exhaust studs. Maybe the had different applications on different years?

On my '67 273, there were conical washers on just the stud and bolt on the outer cylinder ex. ports....nothing at all on the 4 middle bolts. I was told, by the orig.owner, this engine never had the ex. mani's removed from new. {shrug}

Attachments

• 273 washers.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 135
Looks like mine were on the outside ports.

Attachments

• 100_4783.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 149
On my '67 273, there were conical washers on just the stud and bolt on the outer cylinder ex. ports....nothing at all on the 4 middle bolts. I was told, by the orig.owner, this engine never had the ex. mani's removed from new. {shrug}

I did find what is most likely an untouched 72 318 truck engine. it is like yours, 2 cone washers on the 2 outside holes. looks like the others had no washer of any type. thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I'm not a "purist" but Ma Mopar engineered things if figure for a reason!??
never mine the left hand lugs!!???? etc LOL

I have only torn down maybe a dozen what I believed to be,untouched small blocks, from the 60s and early 70s. As I remember it,all had the special washers on the outer studs.Cant say whats correct, only what I found.

Yes

......I know 4 sure the 2 middle bolts on each side do not have the conical washers.....some have just the bolt while others have a flat washer....kim..........

The factory manual for a 1968 Valiant 273 shows the conical washers on the stud and bolt for the outer manifold branches only and none on the center port bolts.

my chrysler factory service manual 1967. for 273-318. it says if the studs come out put sealer on the course threads. the bolt and stud at each end , front and back, have conical washers. hint from me: DO use anti-seize compound on ALL threads. on first install take bolts to 70-80 % of full torque. after 4-5 full heat cycles take to 30 ft lbs. 30 ft lbs is right from the book. sounds a bit high to me.

my chrysler factory service manual 1967. for 273-318. it says if the studs come out put sealer on the course threads. the bolt and stud at each end , front and back, have conical washers. hint from me: DO use anti-seize compound on ALL threads. on first install take bolts to 70-80 % of full torque. after 4-5 full heat cycles take to 30 ft lbs. 30 ft lbs is right from the book. sounds a bit high to me.

Too high, that would be for big blocks that use 3/8 bolts/studs, more like 240 inch pounds. Tighten from center outwards.

-
Back