273 head question

-

64cudaV8

Reaction score
Where does the header bolt hole on the front of the head go? I noticed it goes all the way through. I had a broken stud. Drilled it out and the damn tap broke while I was re tapping it. I punched the tap through the hole. I need to retrieve the pieces.

Where does the header bolt hole on the front of the head go? I noticed it goes all the way through. I had a broken stud. Drilled it out and the damn tap broke while I was re tapping it. I punched the tap through the hole. I need to retrieve the pieces.

The ouside holes go into the cooling passages. Chunks of a broken tap might cause some water pump damage but the pieces probably aren't big enough to worry about. I would pull the thermostat and stuff a hose in the upper hose radiator neck and flush it out good. When You reinstall the exhaust studs use some high temp silicone to seal the threads. (the orange stuff) toolmanmike

The engine is out of the car right now. Would flushing it with a waterhose get it out? timing cover is off as well

Removal of the soft plug is a better idea; you could use a small stick magnet for retrieval.

I would try removing the freeze plug closest to where it fell, like teringer suggested. You should be able to fish it out with a magnet. Even if you cannot get it out, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It is a good bit heavier than water and will simply stay in the bottom of the water jacket. Since the engine is out, it would not hurt to try to get it out though.

The engine is out of the car right now. Would flushing it with a waterhose get it out? timing cover is off as well

If you flush water through there it might wash the tap pieces down into the large cavity on the side of the engine (where the side freeze plugs are). Once the pieces get down that far they are kind of trapped in the bottom (gravity) of that large cavity with all the other sludge. If you knock out the front head freeze plug you should be able to see in there and use a magnet to get the pieces out. The pieces of tap are made of very hard material, if they made it to the water pump it would tear things up. If you pull the freeze plug out of the head you can also use a shop vac by duct taping a very small diameter hose to the end of the larger vac hose and use the smaller hose to suck out any small pieces through the freeze plug hole.
Yes, it sucks, but it should work!!!LOL
Treblig

Whats the best way to remove the freeze plug and reinstall. I have a kit for a ford but I think one of them might fit the hole.

Whats the best way to remove the freeze plug and reinstall. I have a kit for a ford but I think one of them might fit the hole.

Hammer, punch and a medium pair of channel lock pliers. Take the punch and place it in the corner of the freeze plug. Tap it gently until it turns sideways in the bore. Then take the channel locks and turn them so the curved part of the jaw is against the block. Grab the plug by the side and simply "rock" the curved part of the channel locks against the block. The plug will come right out. Don't sweat it if you knock the plug all the way in. Just grab the side with the channel locks the same way and pull it out.

Thanks, I watched a youtube vid and that description is spot on with what I watched. Looks like I am going that route.

I usually take a small chisel and clamp onto it with some vice grips (saves your fingers) then simply cut a hole in the middle of the plug large enough to get a good sized screwdriver in there. Then you can use leverage to work the freeze plug out of the hole. Some people knock the plug all the way into the head then grab it with vice grips and pull it back out of the hole. But I don't remember if the mopar head has a ridge at the bottom of the hole....I don't think it does. Someone else will surely tell you a better/easier way!!

treblig

Hammer, punch and a medium pair of channel lock pliers. Take the punch and place it in the corner of the freeze plug. Tap it gently until it turns sideways in the bore. Then take the channel locks and turn them so the curved part of the jaw is against the block. Grab the plug by the side and simply "rock" the curved part of the channel locks against the block. The plug will come right out. Don't sweat it if you knock the plug all the way in. Just grab the side with the channel locks the same way and pull it out.

There you go. RRR reminded me of this better method I had forgotten about!!!!

Treblig

-
Back