273 Intake Manifold Question!

-
I would think a Edelbrock Peformer 318/360 would bolt up to a 273 and work just fine. I say that because I ran one on a basically stock 318 with a 600 Holley and a Summit K 6901 cam. There is a thing with 273 bolt angles but if it is a 69 that shouldn't be an issue.

WOW! I had no idea that they even offered a 273 in 1969. I was assuming that this was a motor that someone put in the car at a later time.
Yep, they still put them in 69 model A bodies for sure! I don't know if other body styles got 273's or not?

I have a 69 Dart GT conv. with the numbers matching 273/904.

To the OP @Camshaftkid , you can buy a new Edelbrock Performer from Summit Racing and it will bolt right on your 273 no problem. You may need to find 4 barrell kickdown linkage or use a Lokar cable to keep the throttle pressure to your transmission working correctly. If you use an Edelbrock carb or a Holley carb, you will need to get a throttle cable adapter for whichever one you choose, and each of those MFG's have the Mopar adapter.

One other thing. If you see a screen name here in Red instead of black, those people are FABO Moderators. They get paid absolutely ZERO $$ to basically herd cats....lol. @toolmanmike is just doing his job here and isn't just purposely trying to piss you off. Mike is a good guy, and a wealth of knowledge on 273's!

Unfortunately, I think some are reading into my post, beyond what I'm posting. My question isn't a simple one, I know, because I've done my research. My '69 273 is running OK, however I thought to increase its ability, for now. At some point I may install another engine, but when I don't have to, then I see no reason to. I didn't realize the 273 was so disposable that there are limits to aftermarket performance parts for this engine. Mopar kept changing things in the 60's making it hard to keep up with the changes. I understand emissions were introduced as a concern back then that changed everything. I'm on hold right now with Edelbrock, just got off the phone with Weiand, no help there. I'll take it from here, I just thought someone may have run into this issue before me and that I might be able to learn from their research. Thanks for all the assistance. Glenn

Hey Glenn.

Hope you find your answers.

I found this to be a pretty good resource of information.

20230126_134240.jpg

Maybe this will help. In addition to the Edelbrock manifolds that I listed before, since your 273 is a 1969 any 318 manifold will fit as they are both "small port" heads. In addition most Weiand manifolds that I have seen for smallblock LA engines (which your 273 is) come with small port configuration and then 340/360 guys who care will just open them up to the "big port" size. Weiand makes some great dual plane manifolds like the Stealth and used, they tend to be priced lower than Edelbrock manifolds.. I would recommend that you use a dual plane design for your application and find one with the older style centered thermostat housing.

Unfortunately, I think some are reading into my post, beyond what I'm posting. My question isn't a simple one, I know, because I've done my research. My '69 273 is running OK, however I thought to increase its ability, for now. At some point I may install another engine, but when I don't have to, then I see no reason to. I didn't realize the 273 was so disposable that there are limits to aftermarket performance parts for this engine. Mopar kept changing things in the 60's making it hard to keep up with the changes. I understand emissions were introduced as a concern back then that changed everything. I'm on hold right now with Edelbrock, just got off the phone with Weiand, no help there. I'll take it from here, I just thought someone may have run into this issue before me and that I might be able to learn from their research. Thanks for all the assistance. Glenn
The bottom line and your confusion it sounds is the aftermarket forgot to include the 273 in their application. In your case with a 69 273 (or anyone owning a 66,67,68, or 69 273, the intakes are the same as a 318 manifold. Intakes designed specifically for 340 and 360 engines, up to the Magnum engines, will work on a 66 or newer 273 or 318 but the ports are larger by design for the larger engine.

Step back, theres no issue here.
scorching someone over a potential issue in the future... is over moderating.

If the potential problem materializes then simply delete the whole thing and explain nothing to no one. Rules are for a reason. If someone starts a thread on it ...delete the thread and explain nothing to no one. Rules are rules...but only if you break them. Don't PM them , just shut it down if it's an actual problem. Until then ...leave it be and let this ocean have its tide.
Dude wants to know where he can go purchase a brand new intake with the correct Port windows . He did not ask anyone for an intake here.

Have a great day everyone.

Step back, theres no issue here.
scorching someone over a potential issue in the future... is over moderating.

If the potential problem materializes then simply delete the whole thing and explain nothing to no one. Rules are for a reason. If someone starts a thread on it ...delete the thread and explain nothing to no one. Rules are rules...but only if you break them. Don't PM them , just shut it down if it's an actual problem. Until then ...leave it be and let this ocean have its tide.
Let the ocean have it's tide. I like that. This is just spill over from another thread where it was responded to. No harm/ no foul with me. We are getting to the root of the problem and getting the op's questions answered. If people wouldn't barge in and try to sell them something things would go smoother. I would rather stop it from happening than to wait until it's too late.

So the OP can just search "318 aftermarket intakes" and they will be ok. Like said the performer would do it. or LD4B but that is vintage I think

... My '69 273 is running OK, however I thought to increase its ability, for now. At some point I may install another engine, but when I don't have to, then I see no reason to. I didn't realize the 273 was so disposable that there are limits to aftermarket performance parts for this engine. ... Thanks for all the assistance. Glenn

We have actually told you the answer to your question. The 273 was "the" original high performance small block with high compression pistons, solid lifter cam, and 4 barrel single plane intake manifold, Carter AFB carb, and dual point distributor. The only difference between a 273 and a 318 is bore size, 3.625 vs 3.91. In 1969 even the heads were the same. So as said before any 318 small port intake will fit and work. Even the 360 and 340 intakes will fit and work. So, any performance part for a 318, 340, or 360 will work on a 273 except the pistons and 2.02 intake valves. Go to it and enjoy. I've been running high performance 273s for 50 years, and I have my pick of any motor I want.

Keep in mind Offenhauser is still in business. I have an Offy dual quad #5488 intake that is designed for smaller port 273/318.
The chaos here is definitely perceived. All the OP is doing is carrying stuff good lord. No need for the over nodding. With all the other mods here, I next to never see them "reprimand/delete/edit".
Reminds me of a make work project....

Resized_20221214_154112_1535.jpeg

-
Back