273 intake manifold

-

newbie273

Reaction score
I need some suggestions on where to find a intake manifold for my 1965 273, I've looked in a lot of places, but I'm so new to all this that I'm starting to get confused.II would like to make the carb a 4 barrel, but again I can't seem to find the right intake, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I wasn't sure if aa 318 intake would work?

318 won't work. It has different sized bolt holes and at a different angle than the 273 manifold. There was one sold here just a week or so ago. Be patient and one will come up for sale here. The number you need is#2465726. tmm

Last edited:
The bolt hole angle in a later LA intake can be changed. Might be smarter to replace the heads instead. I would pursue anything other than the OEM cast iron single plane, one way or another.
The D4B on ebay is what it is. Rare and bolts right on.

I have one, but shipping might be a bear.

They fit in a flat rate $20 buck box from USPS, done it 3X now. Heavy as hell, but they dont seem to mind @ <70#. Get 2 boxes and use other 1 to make slide in reinforcements. stuff whats left in ends and use postal tape to strap ends. Holley street Dominator or Edel streetmaster are about the same height, just have to wallow out bolt holes and run washers under 5/16 bolts. Heads were not special (except bolt angle) flow the same unless they are closed chambered, then use 302's with common bolts.

It may behoove you to swap on a set of '67 up 318 heads. Your 273 valve gear is a direct bolt on so you will not have any added expense there, and the valve covers also fit. Magnum heads will also swap on but you will need to change the lifters, pushrods, head bolts, and use Magnum rocker arms. The valves clear the bore without grinding clearance notches (barely) but check to make sure if you do this. Either way, you have a lot more choices when it comes to intake manifolds...

It may behoove you to swap on a set of '67 up 318 heads. Your 273 valve gear is a direct bolt on so you will not have any added expense there, and the valve covers also fit. Magnum heads will also swap on but you will need to change the lifters, pushrods, head bolts, and use Magnum rocker arms. The valves clear the bore without grinding clearance notches (barely) but check to make sure if you do this. Either way, you have a lot more choices when it comes to intake manifolds...

Very late model heads would hit the early stock exhaust manifolds, break them too if its not discovered and corrected before their bolts are tightened.
One thing about the D4B, if/when the day comes that you don't need it, you can sell it.

How so? the 273 and 318 used the same casting through at least 1969...

Not quite. The 315 early A head was closed chambered at around 58cc while the more common generic open 318 head was around 64cc. Blueprint numbers mind you, your mileage may vary...

The original manifold works ok. It's a nice improvement over the 2 barrell but lacks plenum height. That's what the Edelbrock does better in addition to a cooler fuel charge because of the aluminum. Back in the day when performance manifolds became popular, the word "high rise" was the word. A taller plenum is like a mini tunnel ram. It gives the fuel/air mix a better chance to mix giving you more power especially torque. Remember the old Mopar Wedge engines with the long ram intakes with carbs on each fender? That's a factory tunnel ram that fits under a flat hood. I find it interesting that almost every production engine produced today has a long ram intake designed into a plastic manifold. I wonder what a 1" carb spacer would do for the stock manifold? It would be interesting to find out. Now if it would laa fit under my hood! lol

I have a early stock 273 intake that came with my 67 273 and wouldn't fit. If that's what you're looking for, I would sell it. Can't recall if it's a single or dual plane though.

I have a early stock 273 intake that came with my 67 273 and wouldn't fit. If that's what you're looking for, I would sell it. Can't recall if it's a single or dual plane though.

The only part that differs early vs. late is the size and angle of the bolt holes which can be modified.

I know. I just bought an aluminum eddy off of Craigslist for a song rather than mangle a somewhat rare intake.

-
Back