273 iron rockers on a 340?

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
I am thinking about using a set of factory 273 adjustable rockers on my 340. I am looking at a cam with about .550 lift do you think this will work o.k.? I am going to upgrade the pushrods to an aftermarket and not the stock ones. Do i need to modify the stock rocker shafts for better oiling? I have seen some of the banana groove shafts , but are these factory? I don't think that either set of factory 273 rockers i have have these type shafts. Please let me know what you think.
Matt

your rockers will work just fine...so will your rocker shafts.

i would upgrade the adjusters if you still have the originals ones on them..

Thanks for the reply. That's another thing i was wondering about, i have had a few members mention that about changing the adjusters. I will do that.
Matt

new adjuster have jam nut on them...old adjuster were an interferrance type adjuster...

Matt,

Yes the 273 forged rockers will work...But you might want to consider this. The ratio is WAY off. I had a box full of them and they were ALL over the place. They checked from a low of 1.41 to a high of 1.51. And these are listed as 1.5 ratio. Most were in the 1.44 to 1.47 range. Not accurate enough for me. You wouldn't have the same lift on any two valves. If that is ok with what you are doing , then you will be fine. But for performance duty...I wouldn't. Be sure to check them. Anyway, Just wanted to throw that out there. JMHO. Good luck.

Terry

Photo of the ones I had on my 360. Stock 273 Adjusters.. and they did back off after some miles.

P1012729.jpg

P1012728.jpg

I went back to some used 340 rockers and shafts that were in great shape.

P1012743.jpg

-
Back