-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanstoy

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I have a 1967 Dart with a 273 eng, and i found out that the dipstick tube is broken down at the block.
Looking for one, or any info on compatability with other engs, or maybe some place i can go buy this at?

They made a few different lengths through the years. Post the length of your old tube (either the whole tube or just from the bulge up) and I'll check for you.

I've got a 67 273, a 68 318, and a 73 318 here and they all have a different length dipstick and tube. The 273 is the shortest so, If you want to keep the original stick you could buy any later model tube and cut it to length. Hope this helps

Good luck with that one. My stroker had a really long chrome aftermarket tube and dipstick which I doubt was calibrated to what the 8 qt Moroso pan needs. I tried to pull the tube out and it broke at the block. Removing the rest of the tube is either done by taking off the oil pan and driving out the tube or by drilling out the old tube remains which can get chips into your oil pan. The old short tubes would work better with my engine since I have no accessories 'cept the alternator. Wish I had done the plan B and put a piced of knotted string with blobs of grease in the tube and sawed it off to the desired length and shortened and recalibrated the dipstick. The knotted string would have caught the chips when it was removed - assuming I had not cut it.

The right kind of thread forming tap will hardly even make a chip
.Use a 5/16 nc tap. First magnetize it. Easy to do with a battery, Google how to. Fill the taps flutes with rtv or bearing grease. Thread the ID of the tube as far as you can. Remove the tap and screw a length of 5/16 all thread rod in as far as you can. Slide a heavy piece of pipe over it followed with larger diameyer flat washers and a nut. You now have a slide hammer to yank the remaining tube out.

They made a few different lengths through the years. Post the length of your old tube (either the whole tube or just from the bulge up) and I'll check for you.

Thanks Cudamark.
I measured the tube from top to where its broken, wich is right at the block.

not compansating for the slight bend in the tube its at about 8 in.
Thanks again for any help on this. :thumrigh:

good idea redfish, I found an aftermarket one at parts house that had bends that would fit, then filled with oil and then used a mini tubing cutter to shorten tube to get correct reading,Joe

I bought some tubing and made my own. I tried 2 different aftermarket ones that were supposed for small block and both were wrong. toolman

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back