273 pistons?

-

drmn4u

408-6packcuda
Reaction score
Any body know of a person or supplier that has any pistons for a 273 motor. I have been unable to locate any from the normal suppliers like Summit, Manciene Racing, Jegs, etc. Some of the racing piston suppliers like Ross and Keith Black will custom make me some but they want $1000. Maybe some body has a set of .030 over pistons in the attic they were saving for such an occasion.
Thanks
Jerry

Welcome to FABO.

There are some 273 guru's here. You should post this in the small block tech section. Toolmanmike has a 273 and has some good advice on building them.

Egge and Kanter to name a couple. It's easy to get frustrated when building a 273 but the pistons are the hardest to find. A 4 barrel intake is a bit of a challenge if you don't have one and you need to watch which cylinder heads you use if you need replacements. Otherwise the 273 is very similar to the other Mopar small blocks. Search around here for threads on the subjects you have questions about. Cruise through my 273 build thread. Some of your questions may be answered. There's a ton of 273 info here on FABO. Study up. There will be a test at the end of class. LOL Thanks KrazyKuda
toolmanmike

Welcome aboard, take a look around and enjoy the great tech's and folks gathered here.

There's the toolman...

No prob Mike. You know your 273's....

There's a GM slug that fits a .03 over 273. If my memory serves it was a 4.3 V6 part.
It doesn't have the slight offset at the wrist pin bore.
Someone discovered this affordable donor source about a dozen years ago.

You wouldn't by chance have a part # would you?
Thanks for the info.
Jerry

There's a GM slug that fits a .03 over 273. If my memory serves it was a 4.3 V6 part.
It doesn't have the slight offset at the wrist pin bore.
Someone discovered this affordable donor source about a dozen years ago.

Hey Red....I'd be interested in this info too.

I don't have further details. Was about 8 years ago. The guy cross referenced slug dimensions.

The GM 4.3 liter V6 has a 4.00" bore, like a 350 but minus two cylinders. The 273 has a 3.625" bore. Maybe it was some other GM engine...

If you're looking for domed pistons like the commando motors had, Egge and Kanter are the only two I'm aware of. TRW used to make them, forged, but not anymore.

I think you have more options if you're looking for flat tops.

My engine thread details the issues I went through trying to dial in the compression ratio. What I found is that the Egge and Kanter pistons are not as tall as the OEM spec so you won't get the factory advertised compression ratio. That could be a good thing depending on what you're trying to do. I ended up at 9.6:1 with the Kanter pistons which I'm hoping will be good on pump gas.

The Kanter piston tops are as-cast so there is some variability from cylinder to cylinder. I believe Egge machines the tops of their pistons.

Good luck with your build.

-
Back