273 rings available?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Anyone got a good link for STD 273 rings, cheap iron is fine.

RockAuto
upload_2021-10-20_16-28-59.png

Engine tech. Cheap through a engine shop that buys many parts. My son just ordered them for one motor and High compression pistons for another through Egge

I do not advise buying Egge pistons especially for the 273 if your buying the 10.5 Hipo Repro pistons , as i had a conversation with them 2 months ago about a 273 that was in my shop and they could not tell me the Dome CC's , Compression Height and many other aspects you would need to know to spec cylinder heads and what not to build a proper engine, and to top it all off its still so under powered even compared to other mopar engines of the time. there really isint much out there for the 273 to build it to make more the 250hp N/A your better off using a LA small block and actually have a selection and all your external 273 parts will bolt right up

I do not advise buying Egge pistons especially for the 273 if your buying the 10.5 Hipo Repro pistons , as i had a conversation with them 2 months ago about a 273 that was in my shop and they could not tell me the Dome CC's , Compression Height and many other aspects you would need to know to spec cylinder heads and what not to build a proper engine, and to top it all off its still so under powered even compared to other mopar engines of the time. there really isint much out there for the 273 to build it to make more the 250hp N/A your better off using a LA small block and actually have a selection and all your external 273 parts will bolt right up
There isn't much choice for HP 273 pistons so the Egge pistons are a good pick. Not everybody wants a bigger/different engine than their 273. Oh and welcome to FABO.

thank you thank you , thats what this short block i have sitting here has in them new still never installed in car, ended up building a 410 cu.in LA small block for the 66 cuda, thats was the reason for the other engine build, those or some $1300 forged out of land down under

ha, i just looked at rock and must have misses those std ones! my browser didnt show the extended drop down only the less expensive .030s. ill buy those after fall fling. outside chance someone has some there.

The Commando/Charger 273 4 bbl. was 235 hp from the factory, the D/Stock Darts were 275 and only relatively mildly modified. They respond well to all the same modifications as any other LA, keeping in mind the bore/stroke dictate more of an rpm engine, and not a torque monster... 300 horse is cake with the right parts, but the Egge pistons are about as good as you'll find for the 273's bore range. And there's just something about the sound of a nice 273 at full song that is just plain seductive...

The Commando/Charger 273 4 bbl. was 235 hp from the factory, the D/Stock Darts were 275 and only relatively mildly modified. They respond well to all the same modifications as any other LA, keeping in mind the bore/stroke dictate more of an rpm engine, and not a torque monster... 300 horse is cake with the right parts, but the Egge pistons are about as good as you'll find for the 273's bore range. And there's just something about the sound of a nice 273 at full song that is just plain seductive...
And the best looking engine built of all brands IMO and a big smile knowing the original engine is under all that factory bling.

engine 296.jpg

they are a impressive engine. i really kinda sucked on how limited parts were , i really wish there was at least more pistons and maybe 2 or 3 rod choices would be nice :)

they are a impressive engine. i really kinda sucked on how limited parts were , i really wish there was at least more pistons and maybe 2 or 3 rod choices would be nice :)
Kanter used to make pistons. There may be another manufacturer or two out there if you dig deep enough. My machinist was impressed at the quality and consistancy of the EGGE's. As far as rods, the 273 rods are the same stout rods and the 318 uses and will hold up to 400+ horsepower. Most every rod manufacturer makes a rod for the small block Mopar If you think the stock ones won't handle the power. You could use 340 rods but have to add weight to balance.

09_24_0.jpg

100_4953.JPG

rods are the same across the LA board, if your going to rebalance it. 4bbl spec Piston selection is like 3: NOS, Egge and JE (?) makes some really nice forged ones but any of the big piston makers (Probe, Ross, etc) could make you a set in any flavor. you can get KB high compresion 318 pistons and be car lengths ahead but i never see a 318 build with those.

pistons for a 273 list comes from nhra.badgerp275,trwL3058f,je155776,fed mogul322nd,ross74231,cp16cp. And then the high Comp pistons,ross57989,cpm14-cp. These would be high end pistons generally speaking. Just listing some options. They would also have the coresponding ring lists.

There isn't much choice for HP 273 pistons so the Egge pistons are a good pick. Not everybody wants a bigger/different engine than their 273. Oh and welcome to FABO.
If you really want the 273 any piston manufacturer out there will whittle you out whatever you want. You simply have to open the wallet. So to say there aren't many choices is really incorrect. You have all the choices you want, you'll just have to pay for them. I LOVE the 273 engine. The Ford 289 and 302s were similar. Doing more with less is always impressive.

rods are the same across the LA board, if your going to rebalance it. 4bbl spec Piston selection is like 3: NOS, Egge and JE (?) makes some really nice forged ones but any of the big piston makers (Probe, Ross, etc) could make you a set in any flavor. you can get KB high compresion 318 pistons and be car lengths ahead but i never see a 318 build with those.
Sorta. Don't forget the lightweight 273 only and early 318 rods. Still the same center to center dimensions, though.

They are all the same..."if your going to rebalance it". Forgot to mention pressed and floating varients. K1,Carillo, 273 forged...they all will physically fit.

273/318 rods are mostly the same through all the years. The 340 and 360 rods were different size and weight.

Have you checked the Summit website? They have a huge number of sizes in small increments.

-
Back